What is your 2016 Best Weekly TV show? (so far)

Mike

What is your 2016 Best Weekly TV show? (so far)

Post by Mike » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:25 pm

I can see NXT winning it for a fourth consecutive year. Smackdown's change next month can be big, but will it have enough juice to hold it over for the whole year?

ROH TV is good when it's good, but they went through a real bad period just now with weeks of months-old footage.

The bloom seems to be off the Lucha Underground rose for a lot of people. That honeymoon is over after being so beloved last year. But the wrestling has been very good to great many weeks. And other weeks it's bad.

Is Edge and Christian's show eligible?

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Re: What is your 2016 Best Weekly TV show? (so far)

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:55 pm

This is going to be an interesting year. NXT will probably win on rep but it hasn't been a very good show this year, it's been boring... but... then again, it always has teetered that line. I, like many, though, think NXT went from simple and straight-forward to again, flat out boring this year. Not sure how others feel.

ROH TV is about the same, always simple and straight-forward almost to a boring level. From a pure in-ring standpoint, it would be the runaway winner as they've aired probably the best all-around wrestling of any weekly show. With that said, it's month old and from major events so it seems cheap in that sense.

Lucha Underground is a mixed bag, I enjoy it still but I get that the bloom is off the rose. I still think it's a good pick for this award if only because nobody else seems to have a great case.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:17 pm

While I will disagree with the idea that NXT is significantly worse than it was a few months ago, I do think the early year tapings have zapped some of the joy from the show. The last set of tapings, however, were pretty good and I feel like they are putting their energy behind some new people (Gargano& Ciampa, Jax, some of the underutilized women) and that will pay dividends as the year goes on. Obviously, the depth of the talent raid for the brand split will be a big factor in this.

That said, I'll say Smackdown has already gotten my vote even pre Brand split. The announcing is great and I'm someone who doesn't get hung up on announcers like many. More importantly, you typically get two or more good matches a week, there's progress toward stories on Raw and the PPVs and if you watch it on Hulu (which I do), it's a very small time commitment for a pretty good, consistent program.

This week, there's a very good Zayn/Ambrose vs. Owens/Del Rio match, a good AJ/Kofi match and solid semi-squash with Rusev and Swagger. And it's consistently good week in and week out.

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:23 pm

mlev76 wrote:While I will disagree with the idea that NXT is significantly worse than it was a few months ago, I do think the early year tapings have zapped some of the joy from the show. The last set of tapings, however, were pretty good and I feel like they are putting their energy behind some new people (Gargano& Ciampa, Jax, some of the underutilized women) and that will pay dividends as the year goes on. Obviously, the depth of the talent raid for the brand split will be a big factor in this.

That said, I'll say Smackdown has already gotten my vote even pre Brand split. The announcing is great and I'm someone who doesn't get hung up on announcers like many. More importantly, you typically get two or more good matches a week, there's progress toward stories on Raw and the PPVs and if you watch it on Hulu (which I do), it's a very small time commitment for a pretty good, consistent program.

This week, there's a very good Zayn/Ambrose vs. Owens/Del Rio match, a good AJ/Kofi match and solid semi-squash with Rusev and Swagger. And it's consistently good week in and week out.
I think the NXTs have been that bad since London. Lots of nothing. I thought the last two weeks had some juice, granted, but there's been a huge dropoff otherwise since December.

Having said that, I'm totally on board with Smackdown. I'd put it above ROH, NXT, and even Lucha Underground in 2016. Lucha Underground has had a few higher points then Smackdown throughout the year but Smackdown has been better overall to me.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:26 pm

Garuda wrote:
mlev76 wrote:While I will disagree with the idea that NXT is significantly worse than it was a few months ago, I do think the early year tapings have zapped some of the joy from the show. The last set of tapings, however, were pretty good and I feel like they are putting their energy behind some new people (Gargano& Ciampa, Jax, some of the underutilized women) and that will pay dividends as the year goes on. Obviously, the depth of the talent raid for the brand split will be a big factor in this.

I think the NXTs have been that bad since London. Lots of nothing. I thought the last two weeks had some juice, granted, but there's been a huge dropoff otherwise since December.

Having said that, I'm totally on board with Smackdown. I'd put it above ROH, NXT, and even Lucha Underground in 2016. Lucha Underground has had a few higher points then Smackdown throughout the year but Smackdown has been better overall to me.
The buildup to Dallas killed NXT as a weekly show as the taping schedule zapped so much life out of the shows. It was also a mistake to do the tapings the day after Dallas because they wouldn't/couldn't do anything too shocking or interesting there. Next year, better they just do a house show the next day if they insist on doing a doubleheader.

I've not watched ROH since January and it doesn't seem like I missed much. I have four weeks of LU on my DVR that I seem to be finding any excuse not to watch.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:57 pm

SmackDown has a legitimate and very real case for this award.

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:22 am

For me, it's Lucha Underground by a landslide. The thing about LU is even their worst weeks have wrestling that are as good as any episode of NXT. They have an incredible roster depth which looks to get bigger with the likes of Sami Callihan & the Stardom girls who are going to debut. Also & most importantly, their creativety & storytelling is unmatched. The only other promotion I can think of that has been so creative with their storytelling is Chikara.

Pinkman

Post by Pinkman » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:27 pm

ScorpioCorp wrote:For me, it's Lucha Underground by a landslide. The thing about LU is even their worst weeks have wrestling that are as good as any episode of NXT. They have an incredible roster depth which looks to get bigger with the likes of Sami Callihan & the Stardom girls who are going to debut. Also & most importantly, their creativety & storytelling is unmatched. The only other promotion I can think of that has been so creative with their storytelling is Chikara.
Yeah this for me. I can understand some people not being as high on the show as Season 1 but it's been typically good most weeks, they've had a few weakish episodes but I haven't considered any episode so far to be bad. The match quality on the show has been pretty damn amazing too for the most part.

Grammarian

Post by Grammarian » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:32 pm

I'd probably go with Lucha Underground.
twitter me @ItsGrammarian

Lawsoncomedy

Post by Lawsoncomedy » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:31 pm

Lucha Underground by a country mile. They've cooled off since Aztec Warfare, but basically every show from the premiere through Aztec Warfare was easily the show of that week. NXT has been dry, RAW is too long and Smackdown is inconsequential. ROH TV is probably #2, but they've got too much nonsense with the clip shows and the BJ Whitmer segments...at least LU hides their BJ Whitmer (Chavo Guerrero) and doesn't really let him do anything. Even since cooling off LU produces compelling stuff, like the No Mas match, Graver Consequences and a bevy of fun trios matches. Also Dario Cueto and Catrina have both been terrific.

Shining Wiz

Post by Shining Wiz » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:32 pm

Only show I go out of my way to watch weekly is NXT. Which means I'm either unqualified to vote, or my vote is an easy one.

mprentice84

Post by mprentice84 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:02 pm

1 Lucha Underground
2 NXT
3 Lucha Azteca

JML

Post by JML » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:11 am

For me right now, it's either Lucha Underground or Lucha Azteca on Azteca 7. It's funny cause both uses AAA and CMLL talent better than the original promotions and both are fun to watch in two separate ways. LU is obvious with their uniqueness but with Lucha Azteca, I get to see fun matchups every week. I've stopped watching the CMLL Friday shows because of it.

Smackdown is the best WWE TV show hands down as NXT fell into too many lulls this year.

New Japan on AXS is always good but it's on a long tape delay. Sometimes I watch it just to see a certain match again like the 2015 BOSJ Finals a month or two ago. If that had they same time frame as say Lucha Azteca, they would have this award locked up.

wac

Post by wac » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:11 am

From a match quality standpoint nothing comes close to Lucha Underground. Fenix/Mil Muertes, Mil/Puma/Pentagon, Aztec Warfare, some of the trios matches...it's not quite as good as season 1 but it's by far the best and most consistent wrestling on TV.

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:15 pm

So about two months later, anything new? Just a little.

Raw and Smackdown are new shows - or at least a slightly new style of presentation anyway.

ROH went into a recap overload, but the original TV from Carolina has been good. And the Philadelphia tapings I was at a few weeks back start this weekend and they're very, very good shows.

Impact, yes Impact!, has been good too. Honestly, it's not GREAT, but it's not the punching bag it used to be.

CWC I feel has flown under the radar for a bunch of reasons. Summer time and people are busier + so much wrestling content to watch already + being tape delay.

Lucha Underground will have a good advantage with both seasons two and now as recently announced, (some of) season three airing this year.