2016 Lou Thesz/Ric Flair Award (Wrestler of the Year)

Rainmaker_F7

Re: 2016 Lou Thesz/Ric Flair Award (Wrestler of the Year)

Post by Rainmaker_F7 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:12 pm

As of right now, this is how I'd vote:

1. Tetsuya Naito

2. Kazuchika Okada

3. AJ Styles

Huge fan of Okada's work this year, especially stuff from last week (how he drew on the NOAH show, KOPW, and that fucking awesome match with Maru), but I am voting Naito as my #1 for sure. Unbelievable year, this is one of those years when I go "yes, this guy deserves to win way more than others". AJ is obviously number 3, from the memorable classic at WK10 to just an excellent year in WWE.

Most Outstanding

There are many more possible candidates. Let me count mine.

Hero, Ospreay, Sabre, Scurll, Styles, Zayn, Owens, Shingo Takagi, Akira Tozawa, YAMATO, Shuji Ishikawa, Yuji Okabayashi, KUSHIDA, Ishii, Okada, Tanahashi, Naito, Elgin, Omega, Sekimoto, Miyahara

That is quite a few, huh?

As for right now, my votes would go to:

1. Tomohiro Ishii

2. Will Ospreay

3. Shingo Takagi

What a year we have that guys like Omega, Elgin or someone who has quite a year like Shuji or Okabayashi doesn't make the list. But Stone Pitbull gets my 5 points for the 3rd year in the row.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:21 pm

mlev76 wrote:I think at this point, it's hard to not make the case for AJ. Semi main evented Wrestle Kingdom. Came into WWE and in less than half of a year became a main eventer and is feuding with the biggest star in the company. He's also the first guy in quite a long time to debut on the main roster without a stint in NXT first. Anderson did it shortly thereafter, but in a clearly lesser role.

Naito stepping up to the main event level and being one of the most compelling characters out there would make him my number 2.

I'd probably go with either Ospreay or Ishii as third best. Ospreay is obviously the breakout star of the industry this year, but I don't think Ishii is getting enough credit for the great stuff he's done all year long.
Revisiting this to say that Styles' case has only grown in the time since this post. Naito also remains my number 2.

Have gotten far behind on non-WWE stuff and there really isn't anyone I'd say who jumps off the page for me for #3 so here's an odd choice...how about Charlotte? Was the backbone of the women's division this year in a year where they actually did try to push them as legit equals with the men and they main evented a PPV (not without controversy or criticism for that).

Just an idea to toss out there, not sure that I truly am considering it.

itsberlo

Post by itsberlo » Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:36 pm

1. Kazuchika Okada
2. Tetsuya Naito
3. AJ Styles

wingedeagle

Post by wingedeagle » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:04 pm

Pretty comfortable with Okada at 1. Charlotte & AJ finish the top 3, but game time call on the order.