Most Overrated

BillThompson

Re: Most Overrated

Post by BillThompson » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:22 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
phenom951 wrote:While I STILL don't get the hype about Finn Balor he did have a great 2015 so I'm gonna go with Roman. I've heard far too much praise for him this year as a worker. He's improved by leaps and bounds than he was at the start of the year but I wouldn't even call him a top 10 worker in that company and top 20 if we include NXT.
There are people who consider him Top 20 in the WORLD, which is so absurd I can't even be bothered to argue.
We're talking about Balor here right? I mean minus the improving part, cause he's still the same mediocre worker he was in New Japan.

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:50 pm

Nah, he's worse. He's such a by-the-numbers worker, there's no wit to his game, no depth, no charm. Honest to fuck, I feel like watching a robot wrestle. Also that stupid paint.

But he IS smart, I'll give him that, you'll struggle to find a wrestler milking his reputation this effectively.

sternness

Post by sternness » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:30 am

Chismo wrote:Nah, he's worse. He's such a by-the-numbers worker, there's no wit to his game, no depth, no charm. Honest to fuck, I feel like watching a robot wrestle. Also that stupid paint.

But he IS smart, I'll give him that, you'll struggle to find a wrestler milking his reputation this effectively.
Chris Jericho?

Derek Drago

Post by Derek Drago » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:15 am

It honestly does surprise me that so many of the people who dislike Reigns are people that love Balor. It makes absolutely no sense. They both are pretty poor on promos. If you take their star ratingz type matches I'd assume Roman has more ****+ in 2015.

There's nothing above average about Finn IMO other than his presence, which arguably is the most important thing you can have besides charisma although they're tied together. I'm not saying he's bad...I just don't understand how people can say he's so much better than a guy like Roman Reigns. They're both simply competent workers. And saying Roman isn't top 20 overall wrestler in WWE is insane IMO. He's easily top 10.

Roman is more over pushed obviously but Finn is more overrated IMO if that makes sense.

Quentin Moody

Most Overrated

Post by Quentin Moody » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:25 pm

I like both guys but I think I have more Balor matches at **** than Roman, not entirely sure though.

I do think Balor has a fair case of being Most Overrated if someone felt compelled to make it. For the Observer definition though having Roman at number 1 Most Overrated (which IS based on push/how someone is utilized) isn't something I disagree with, I'd have him at that spot as well.

duyarvish

Post by duyarvish » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:43 pm

I haven't been remotely impressed by Balor but he's extremely over so I don't think he fits the Dave definition of the award at all.

rovert

Post by rovert » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:11 pm

duyarvish wrote:I haven't been remotely impressed by Balor but he's extremely over so I don't think he fits the Dave definition of the award at all.
I get that a lot of people think Balor's matches can be hollow or not that cohesive. People ignoring his reactions to fit their agenda is absurd. You can turn the sound off and just watch the crowd do Balor's entrance along with him. He sells so much merch too.

Morten VH

Post by Morten VH » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:17 pm

Balor is a **** star wrestler to me. He never bombs. His matches are always great. But they never reach that other level either. I'm a fan of his in-ring work, and have no problems with him in a major role.

phenom951

Post by phenom951 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:52 pm

Morten VH wrote:Balor is a **** star wrestler to me. He never bombs. His matches are always great. But they never reach that other level either. I'm a fan of his in-ring work, and have no problems with him in a major role.
I'll never discredit Balor's work in ring but most people talk about this guy like he's a 5 star worker when really what they love is that paintjob on his body. Then you have Becky Lynch saying he's the best wrestler in the world (I get why she says it tho). It's a case where the gimmick is so much stronger than his in ring that they almost pretend his in ring is just as strong. I've never liked him as a promo and on NXT when he's not doing the demon thing he's extremely dry as a character. I get it tho he's very marketable, that being said he's not an elite level worker.

wac

Post by wac » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:02 pm

Morten VH wrote:Balor is a **** star wrestler to me. He never bombs. His matches are always great. But they never reach that other level either. I'm a fan of his in-ring work, and have no problems with him in a major role.
Agreed. His high end matches aren't all time classics or match of the year candidates, but they're consistently very good. He's not the best promo, but his promos certainly give him more credibility than Reigns's consistently horrible ones. I don't remember seeing any Finn Balor matches that were total carry jobs by his opponent, I don't remember any outright duds, and I don't remember a crowd ever rejecting the level of his push. He's over and his championship run has coincided with a very successful run for NXT. I don't think he's anywhere close to most overrated by the literal definition of the word, but by the WON definition it's a complete farce to say he is.

rovert

Post by rovert » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:16 pm

phenom951 wrote: I'll never discredit Balor's work in ring but most people talk about this guy like he's a 5 star worker when really what they love is that paintjob on his body. Then you have Becky Lynch saying he's the best wrestler in the world (I get why she says it tho). It's a case where the gimmick is so much stronger than his in ring that they almost pretend his in ring is just as strong. I've never liked him as a promo and on NXT when he's not doing the demon thing he's extremely dry as a character. I get it tho he's very marketable, that being said he's not an elite level worker.
It is very rare that I've seen anyone (outside of clear casual fans) say that he's a 5 star worker.

I don't want to go over the topic AGAIN but a lot of other Wrestlers think similar to Becky about Balor as a worker. Some fans online don't understand and elsewhere spazz out when it is pointed out Wrestlers see and value different things to fans. Wrestler's cite the things like Tiger Mask-Dynamite Kid and the Wrestlemania 12 Iron Man as their absolute favs.

wac

Post by wac » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:31 pm

Finn Balor: stronger WON HOF candidate than Daniel Bryan

Derek Drago

Post by Derek Drago » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:47 am

rovert wrote:
phenom951 wrote: I'll never discredit Balor's work in ring but most people talk about this guy like he's a 5 star worker when really what they love is that paintjob on his body. Then you have Becky Lynch saying he's the best wrestler in the world (I get why she says it tho). It's a case where the gimmick is so much stronger than his in ring that they almost pretend his in ring is just as strong. I've never liked him as a promo and on NXT when he's not doing the demon thing he's extremely dry as a character. I get it tho he's very marketable, that being said he's not an elite level worker.
It is very rare that I've seen anyone (outside of clear casual fans) say that he's a 5 star worker.

I don't want to go over the topic AGAIN but a lot of other Wrestlers think similar to Becky about Balor as a worker. Some fans online don't understand and elsewhere spazz out when it is pointed out Wrestlers see and value different things to fans. Wrestler's cite the things like Tiger Mask-Dynamite Kid and the Wrestlemania 12 Iron Man as their absolute favs.
True but I'm sure some wrestlers say the same thing about Cena who is IMO a better overall wrestler. When you check the boxes, what does Balor have over Cena other than in-ring? Mic skills, charisma, longevity at the top, etc all have to go to Cena. I also think we can't really talk about his overness in NXT because it's NXT. Everyone from the Indies/Japan is going to be over with that crowd. I do think he'll get over on the main roster fairly easy, but mostly because of his entrance. I'd like to see how he'd fare on the main roster as just baby face Finn Balor, not the demon.

Also I love Finn...want to make that clear. And Reigns has to win overrated according to Dave's award, but from a literal sense I don't think it's crazy to say Balor is overrated by many.

wac

Post by wac » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:35 am

Derek Drago wrote:I also think we can't really talk about his overness in NXT because it's NXT. Everyone from the Indies/Japan is going to be over with that crowd..
This is so silly.

Derek Drago

Post by Derek Drago » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:24 am

wac wrote:
Derek Drago wrote:I also think we can't really talk about his overness in NXT because it's NXT. Everyone from the Indies/Japan is going to be over with that crowd..
This is so silly.
It might be silly, but there is merit to it. Every Indy/Japan performer that has come over and is a full time NXT wrestler is pretty over with the NXT crowd almost immediately. I'm just saying it's not really fair to talk about his overness without having that caveat. Will he be that over to the casual crowd? It's a fair question IMO.