Promotion of the Year

DylanWaco

Promotion of the Year

Post by DylanWaco » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:48 am

What sort of criteria do people use for this? I have a weird calculus for this where I try and look at the company that does the best job at succeeding/growing/developing a niche within it's own lane. Who grew their base? Who succeeded when they aimed high, without having low lows? who developed new revenue streams and/or expanded their business model to include innovative/fresh ideas that paid dividends? Who went from being a Tier C brand to being a Tier B or even Tier A brand? These are the sort of questions I ask for this category.

My general thought is that WWE has no chance of placing, CMLL and AAA have no chance, and NJPW feels like a big time stretch. This leaves me looking at unconventional picks. ROH I think has some clear positives and there is a degree to which I see them as a front runner, but I've not been a huge fan of the booking over the last couple of months, and I'm not sure they have had as much actual growth this year as they have had theoretical growth. I can't in good conscious vote Dragon Gate number one here because I find the promotion unwatchable, but I will strongly consider them for the top three as they seem to have held steady doing what they do well. DDT seems like they have had more big shows than years past, the DNA sub-brand has produced some great rookies, and they have produced some great matches. They seem like a viable pick. Rev Pro is a hot brand and merits consideration as well, as does PWG, though there is something about the way PWG operates that makes me shrug my shoulders at them for an award like this (they've hit a level, they won't get bigger because they don't want to). All of that said I am strongly leaning toward ICW, a company that can draw thousands as a non-tv product in a country with no history of such a thing, with two natives in the main event...that impresses me a great deal.

rovert

Re: WON Awards 15 - Promotion of the Year

Post by rovert » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:59 am

I said here or somewhere else the same thing about voting for ICW. They definitively improved their lot over the last year or so with three multi date national tours. Personally thought they would fall on their face this year after seeing other British attempt similar. Although not exactly an original idea a number of other ICW influenced promotions have started up in the past while.

PROGRESS have artistically better shows than ICW especially when watching sober! But they are a year or so behind ICW in terms of nationally touring but they have serious plans to close the gap in 2016. Ignoring their spin off shows Rev Pro is kind of like PWG in terms of big budgetness if they moved to a bigger building.

ROH started the year off optimistically as they have typically have done the past few years but they simply don't have the expertise or resources to fully have their ducks in a row.

I wonder how/if last year's shows being on AXS "confuses" voters when it comes to New Japan and makes NJPW seem in a better place then they are now.

Fuck UFC. :lol:

duyarvish

Post by duyarvish » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:33 pm

Are there any objective criteria to this award or is it just who you enjoyed watching the most? These awards seem to blend together so much I lose track of what is what

Morten VH

Post by Morten VH » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:46 pm

My first thought on this were ROH. If this is based on the level of success, that the promotion has seen during the year, then ROH has to be a frontrunner for this title. They've improved house shows attendances a lot, and as stated numerous times, they're the only company in the US that is improving business. They've also gotten a national tv deal this year.

I'm don't know a lot about the UK scene though, but there were some good points about ICW and PROGRESS as well. I don't know exactly how much their numbers have improved, but if ICW manages to sell 3000+ tickets to a show, then they have to be a strong contender as well.

mprentice84

Post by mprentice84 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:26 pm

I understand many people are against voting for an MMA promotion here, but I am not. UFC has had an all-time great year in terms of business, promoted a number huge and successful events, and also has a number of great fights to back up their case at Promotion of the Year. They're a much stronger case than New Japan, who i'd probably pick as number two. I'm not remotely familiar enough with the Euro or US indy scene to vote for either ICW or EVOLVE.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:50 pm

Perhaps they can't win because they have such a small sample size because they have so few shows...but I would challenge anyone that said PWG hasn't had been the best promotion on a match to match basis.

brandonbitw

WON Awards 15 - Promotion of the Year

Post by brandonbitw » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:02 am

mprentice84 wrote:I understand many people are against voting for an MMA promotion here, but I am not. UFC has had an all-time great year in terms of business, promoted a number huge and successful events, and also has a number of great fights to back up their case at Promotion of the Year. They're a much stronger case than New Japan, who i'd probably pick as number two. I'm not remotely familiar enough with the Euro or US indy scene to vote for either ICW or EVOLVE.
182, 183, 187, 188, 189, 190. I don't know if I would agree with you in regards to MMA considerations, but if I would, those 6 PPVs (189 in particular) would make it to hard to conjure any sort of reasonable argument against UFC being the promotion of the year.
Last edited by brandonbitw on Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:09 am

I would say Lucha Underground, but I base these things purely off personal enjoyment and all I watch are LU, NXT, and ROH.
"If I’m Neville or Aries, I definitely give a shit about the take of TJ “Career Trajectory Vanilla Midget” Perkins regarding my burning desire for advancement and steady income." - supersonic

DylanWaco

Post by DylanWaco » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:42 am

BoxingRobes wrote:Perhaps they can't win because they have such a small sample size because they have so few shows...but I would challenge anyone that said PWG hasn't had been the best promotion on a match to match basis.

I think PWG is the hardest promotion in the World to try and put in context for something like this. They set records in terms of selling out their building quickly - but they will never leave it and are capped at a pretty modest crowd size. By all accounts they do great business in terms of DVD sales, but everything comes out well after the fact. They have angles and storylines, but the basic focus of their shows seems to be to churn out dream matches and "MOTYCS." There are some ways in which I think it's a genius model and it obviously works for them, but I find it really hard to seriously view them as contenders for this award at least the way I define it. I would actually be more inclined to vote for Beyond given their growth and ondemand service getting off the ground.

zack tunney

Re: RE: Re: WON Awards 15 - Promotion of the Year

Post by zack tunney » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:42 am

BoxingRobes wrote:Perhaps they can't win because they have such a small sample size because they have so few shows...but I would challenge anyone that said PWG hasn't had been the best promotion on a match to match basis.
Agree with this 100%

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:33 pm

syxxpakk wrote:I would say Lucha Underground, but I base these things purely off personal enjoyment and all I watch are LU, NXT, and ROH.
LU and NXT are not promotions though...they are TV Shows produced by a larger conglomerate.

For me it's UFC, ROH and Dragon Gate. UFC has had a great year in terms of buy and pretty much eclipsed all of last years business within the first 6 months. It's hard for me to ignore such facts. They have just been putting out box office fights as of late. As others have stated ROH has really gained in viewership and although I haven't been as interested in the product (or watching their TV) since All Star Extravganza, I have felt they have been delivering on their bigger shows. But then again, I really don't understand the hate people have felt for matches like Kyle O'Reilly and Jay Lethal (I thought the ending was justified because Lethal is a Heel champ and O'Reilly would have looked weak loosing to a man who already wrestled the night before). Dragon Gate and a slow start to the year but has been firing on all cylinders since Dead or Alive. I believe the attendance has been similar to the year before so this strictly comes at personal preference.

I might vote Progress as my #3 because I feel like they are growing their business with their on demand service. Just from an online presence perspective I heard a lot more about their existence this year and the fact their shows sell out with 700 people within minutes is nothing to scoff at. Yes PWG sells out the same but with 200 less people then PROGRESS. Plus PROGRESS looks legitimately interested in growing their business and has way more clever booking then PWG (95% of PWG is High Class Wrestler A Vs. High Class Wrestler B, no programs, great fun matches but no creativity).

syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:52 pm

I agree re: NXT. Not sure I do when it comes to LU though.
"If I’m Neville or Aries, I definitely give a shit about the take of TJ “Career Trajectory Vanilla Midget” Perkins regarding my burning desire for advancement and steady income." - supersonic

BillThompson

Post by BillThompson » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:18 pm

I can get the argument for NXT, but not for LU. I group NXT as its own promotion, but that's more for classification and labeling than anything else. LU is its own thing though, and though it is under the umbrella of AAA it's not AAA America but it's own thing which is being run by different people, booked differently, with its own storylines, and minimal visible ties to AAA. It's more like Union to DDT, than NXT to WWE.

InYourCase
VOW Staff Member

Post by InYourCase » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:53 pm

Completely agree with Bill. LU is its own promotion, NXT is not.

Dragon Gate is my promotion of the year. They tick all the boxes of booking, in-ring, and business success. Yes, they only run 13 shows in Korakuen a year, compared to however many shows New Japan runs in that building, but DG has destroyed their attendance in that building. They put 5,000 in Tokyo during the night of the G1 Finals and had successful big shows in Aichi, Kobe, and Osaka this year.

A few months ago, Big Japan would've been a lock for my list. I wouldn't call them a lock at this point, but I would be a little surprised if they didn't finish in my Top 3. After that, it'd go EVOLVE, DDT, and then ROH.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:06 pm

Leaning DG.

I use a combo of personal enjoyment along with growth/business relative to their starting point at the beginning of the year. DG had a great year aesthetically and business wise. Best drawing company in Korakuen, and as the young boy points out, 5,000 head to head with NJPW against the G1 Finals.