2015 Rookie Tracking

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

2015 Rookie Tracking

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:50 am

I will edit this post as we go along. This will be based on the always ambiguous Observer Awards standards, which means the wrestler should have made their debut after 9/1/2014 in a full time major league promotion. Definition of “full time’ may vary.

Please post any additional additions, with debut dates/evidence to make a case if possible. Thanks.

Jay White – NJPW
Cody Hall – NJPW
David Finlay - NJPW

Yuma Aoyagi – AJPW

Kumagoro – Wrestle-1
Shotaro Ashino – Wrestle-1

Ryota Nakatsu – DDT
Kazusada Higuchi – DDT
Kota Umeda – DDT
Shunma Katsumata – DDT
Dai Suzuki – DDT
Kouki Iwasaki – DDT
Suguru Miyataki – DDT
Tatsuo Omori - DDT
Yoshihisa Uto - DDT
Kazumi Kikuta - DDT

Chad Gable – WWE
Hugo Knox – WWE
Mike Rawlis – WWE
Josh Woods – WWE
Noah Pang-Potjes – WWE
Dana Brooke – WWE
Dasha – WWE
Dylan Miles – WWE
Braun Stowman – WWE
Nia Jax (Lina Ferene) - WWE
Gionna Daddio - WWE
Radomir Petkovic - WWE
Preston Cunningham - WWE

Jon Webb - NOAH
Shiro Tomoyose - NOAH

Michiko Miyagi - Sendai Girls

Kronoz - AAA

Thunder Rosa - Stardom

Yoshihisa Uto - Big Japan

*ANYONE ABOVE THIS LINE QUALIFIES FOR SURE, BASED ON PURE IN RING DEBUTS OR PAST PRECEDENT*

*BELOW THIS LINE, CANDIDATES ARE QUESTIONABLE FOR REASONS NOTED*

Argus - CHIKARA (who is under the mask?)
Jack Gamble - NOAH (debuted 2009, NOAH debut this year)
Khoya - TNA (2011 Ring Ka King veteran)
Jasmin - WWE (debuted with NXT, but has matches going back to 2013 most notably in AIW, has worked Selezia Sparx, Reby Sky, Angelina Love, etc)
Chris Melendez - TNA (wrestled two matches before the 9/1024 cutoff, but neither aired until AFTER September)
Kevin Condron - Chikara (worked as Kid Cyclone for a few months before the cutoff date on scattered shows, including in the Chikara system for Wrestling Is Fun)

This crop of AAA dudes, via thecubsfan (updates?)
– Ciclope (sole appearance on 2015-01-23)
– Arez (two appearances, first on 2015-01-23)
– Belial (two appearances, first on 2015-01-30)
– Pegasus (sole appearance on 2015-02-08)
– Drastick Boy (sole appearance on 2015-02-08)

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Re: 2015 Rookie Tracking

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:51 am

OK, everything has been moved over from the old forum, and I added the new additions. Below is my final post in that thread, concerning Dalton Castle & Dave Finlay Jr.

------------------------------------

Castle isn’t a rookie. He’e been wrestling for many years, including a run in Chikara which is a place that has always “counted” as full time major league, and he’s placed in the top ten in the past.

David Finlay all comes down to what people think of All Star Wrestling in the UK. I’ll need a ruling on how “full time major league” ASW is from some of you UK guys. He spent all of 2014 working nearly every show for that group.

If it counts as full time major league, he was a rookie last year. If it doesn’t, he’s a rookie this year.

sidenote – this thread will be updated with all of the new names when we switch forums. Thanks to all who contribute. dave clearly used the one we put together on the Observer board last year to make his judgements on who to count/not count, so i’ll make sure he gets this into his hands at the end of the year.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:53 am

Here is what thecubsfan had written about the questionable crop of AAA rookies:
thecubsfan wrote: AAA has also been using their openers as tryouts, sprinkling in one or two indy types. None of them are being booked out of AAA’s office for spot shows yet and none have appeared more than a couple times.
– Ciclope (sole appearance on 2015-01-23)
– Arez (two appearances, first on 2015-01-23)
– Belial (two appearances, first on 2015-01-30)
– Pegasus (sole appearance on 2015-02-08)
– Drastick Boy (sole appearance on 2015-02-08)
Keira is listed in the same role on the 2015-05-02 show, but there are strange things going on around her so maybe wait on that one.
Everyone but Pegasus have been in the major Mexico indies the last couple years, with Ciclope and Drastick Boy being in major roles on DTU shows.
Gotita de Plata also got one of those tryouts (2015-01-30), but may have used up his eligibility with handful appearances back in 2013.

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:26 am

You could make the argument that ASW is full time, but it's nowhere near major league imo. There's no real equivalent, but they run sold shows at holiday camps that usually have only one or two matches and you often get guys having the debut match there because usually zero wrestling fans are actually watching.

I'm not sure if there is a full-time major league promotion in the UK. The ones that I'd consider major league (PROGRESS, RPW, ICW and maybe SWE) usually only run a couple of times a month, although occasionally ICW runs a tour where they have maybe eight shows in a month so I guess they would count.

RPW draws houses of over 1,000, so I'd have a hard time considering somebody who had worked there and then worked over in CHIKARA later would count as a rookie.

I'm not too familiar with the award, if a guy worked for AIW, AAW, PWG and Inspire would he count for the rookie award that year?

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:56 pm

Robareid wrote:You could make the argument that ASW is full time, but it's nowhere near major league imo. There's no real equivalent, but they run sold shows at holiday camps that usually have only one or two matches and you often get guys having the debut match there because usually zero wrestling fans are actually watching.

I'm not sure if there is a full-time major league promotion in the UK. The ones that I'd consider major league (PROGRESS, RPW, ICW and maybe SWE) usually only run a couple of times a month, although occasionally ICW runs a tour where they have maybe eight shows in a month so I guess they would count.

RPW draws houses of over 1,000, so I'd have a hard time considering somebody who had worked there and then worked over in CHIKARA later would count as a rookie.

I'm not too familiar with the award, if a guy worked for AIW, AAW, PWG and Inspire would he count for the rookie award that year?
Chikara people have regularly gotten votes, and they run a couple of times per month. Same for any of the wwnlive groups, PWG, etc and those are hardly "full time" promotions, so in reality it's more "high profile". I'd say something with the visibility of PROGRESS would count based on equivalent N.A. promotions, because I think if PROGRESS broke in a big time rookie they would end up getting plenty of votes. Same for Revolution Pro, imo.

I know literally nothing about ASW so I have no feel for it. My gut tells me Finlay will get lots of support (and really, assuming he counts he should. i'd probably vote him #1 myself), and I think dave is going to count him, so we may be wasting our time. dave is far more stringent with people who have been wrestling for many years than he is with breaking down the full time/major league component.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:22 pm

The Fray Movement wrote:I think Colby Corino should be nominated simply for all the ROH burials he's taken recently. Or maybe not.
Actually glancing at his cagematch, this probably is his "rookie" year.

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:28 pm

My gut would be that Finlay should count then.

From the UK scene I think James Castle would qualify. I'm pretty sure he debuted in February of this year, and now is a regular member of the RPW roster and a current tag team champion. Kyle Ashmore too, who made his debut in January and recently made his PROGRESS full show debut. Jinny too, who made her main show PROGRESS debut in May and had her first match in January. I'd want to see more of her, but she might actually be deserving of grabbing some votes, her one match on a PROGRESS main show got universally rave reviews (around the ***3/4-**** mark for most).

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:38 pm

ACtually I've just done some digging, and Jinny actually had one isolated multi-person tag at an academy show in June 2014, but I feel she should still qualify. Here "major" show debut was May 25th.

DETROIT_KEJB

Post by DETROIT_KEJB » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:16 am

Criteria kind of hurts the NXT guys. Most of that list hasn't appeared on any taped matches. Can't really gage any of them unless you go to every house show.

Not like they could hang with Higuchi anyways, but still...

rovert

Post by rovert » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:05 am

Radomir Petkovic a Serbian amateur Wrestler debuted really fast. Reported to NXT with no prior Pro Wrestling experience that I know of in April - part of the same group as Uhaa Nation.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:48 am

Ken Shamrock had a baby?

abrasiveobelisksa

Post by abrasiveobelisksa » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:01 am

rovert wrote:Radomir Petkovic a Serbian amateur Wrestler debuted really fast. Reported to NXT with no prior Pro Wrestling experience that I know of in April - part of the same group as Uhaa Nation.

He looks like a badass: how good is he?

FilipPejic

Post by FilipPejic » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:42 pm

What about shiro tomoyose from NOAH
Some Guy from Canada that you can follow on twitter @FilipPejic97

rovert

Post by rovert » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:29 pm

abrasiveobelisksa wrote: He looks like a badass: how good is he?
No idea. Apparently has a great background in amateur Wrestling. He's 290 lb 6'9".

He's the guy in the middle:
http://i0.wp.com/www.brobible.com/wp-co ... -Class.jpg

Preston Cunningham made his debut on the same show too:
http://411mania.com/wrestling/wwe-nxt-h ... e-florida/

He's amateur wrestler from the University of Central Florida and has some MMA experience.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:00 am

Will update this soon. Maybe after G1.

Crazy, but we're just over a month before starting the 2016 thread. 9/1 is the Big Dave rookie starting point,