WrestleMania 33 Weekend (Orlando, FL)

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
JB Gremlin

Re: WrestleMania 33 Weekend (Orlando, FL)

Post by JB Gremlin » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:24 am

I'm yet to see progress or rev pro, and I still have most of the pancakes show to watch but I think I've seen everything else that is available. Ring of honor will go down as show of the weekend for me, 4 matches at ****+ and they were all very different. Cole botching a tombstone spot only to get up in defiance and fall right back over was equal parts unfortunate and hilarious. The main event was great and the cody/ lethal bull rope match was probably the best cody match ever and lethal's best since, maybe rush at last year's mania weekend, they worked the stipulation very well with a couple of cool spots, they probably benefited from me not seeing a bull rope match for a while but still this was more than worth a watch.

Big picture wise nothing was on the level of Ospreay or nak last year but most of what I saw was good. The too much argument is a fair one but that's what the weekend is for and I love the chance to watch wall to wall wrestling once a year. And with the rise of the content providers I can't see that changing too much, unless the wrestlers decide it's not worth taking a million bookings in two days.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:12 pm

FilipPejic wrote:
BoxingRobes wrote:Also, lets be honest, there is a finite amount of wrestling people want or are willing to see during this weekend, and there will be less so as Mania encroaches on 8 hours on Sunday.

FIP turnout was laughably bad, despite a semi-decent show (the Young Boy grossly overrated the show, but it was still decent and wisely booked with all of their 'good stuff' in the first hour or so). The Beyond show was average in quality with a really weird crowd, but it was clear every wrestler was not really into it.

I can only imagine Chikara and CZW was similar...the effort just isn't going to be there.
Drew Beyonds owner said that show was most profitable ever In beyond and they got a decent crowd around 400
Which as nothing to do with anything I said...I can buy 400 were there early on, but as the show went on, those people scattered and/or left...but match quality...wasn't a good introduction to BEYOND.

cbacon87

Post by cbacon87 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:47 pm

BoxingRobes wrote:That is a result of the oversaturation of the weekend. Most of these shows lose their uniqueness when you have these guys working 3-4 shows PER DAY.

Janela's show...Kaiju Big Battel...they have a following and/or are a staple of the weekend and/or receive praise because they provide real alternative. Progress did the same because of the talent they were using.

What makes CZW or FEW or whatever fifth tier promotion that tried to run a show down there that made them different than say...Evolve which ran three shows this weekend? Nothing. They are just lesser quality options, clearly and most of them had lesser quality work, unfortunately.
I feel like this is a fair critique of Wrestlemania Weekend as a whole.

I get why companies run shows on that weekend and I get why, if you're there for Mania, having a bunch of other shows is cool. Looking at it from the outside, as someone who wasn't going to watch any of the shows because I've got more than enough wrestling to catch up on as it is, the concept alone isn't a draw. And presumably, even if you're into Wrestlemania Weekend still, the concept is only a draw up until a point.

Stuff like the Janela show sounded perfect, because it's something distinct and different and has a selling point of it's own. The major companies can get away with it because they're the kind of companies people don't need a big excuse to order anyway. And for companies like RevPro, PROGRESS, WCPW, the fact they're running shows in a different country is a selling point in and of itself. For the other companies though, the hook literally seems to be "Vince is running a show this weekend and so are we I guess".

It seems like a lot of these companies are settling for these shows being deemed important because it's someone else's important show on Sunday, instead of actually booking them to be important shows. Which is fine, but now you're having to compete amongst yourselves. I'm sure EVOLVE 80-something was a great show, but realistically why is it anymore important than EVOLVE 70-whatever was or EVOLVE 90-ish will be? If ROH didn't have the Hardys and/or did more iPPVs, would their show have been any more of a big deal than usual? A company like CHIKARA doesn't need WM weekend, if anything having the most interesting thing about the show be "it's Wrestlemania weekend" is a step down. I feel like they might have gotten just as much play the year they stayed at home and did a tag tournament. CZW I'm surprised didn't draw great because it seemed like they had an awesome talent line-up and Best Of The Best is an established indie tournament, but I guess they ran at an awkward time?

I dunno. If you're and ROH or EVOLVE and you can draw your best ever crowds at these weekends with better than average cards and average builds, why wouldn't you, but it feels like the Janela show might and probably should be something of a blueprint for smaller indies. Give people something unique. It's Wrestlemania weekend for everybody.

rovert

Post by rovert » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:05 pm

Good post JB Gremlin. I can't get the idea that this weekend was kind of a major international comedy festival more than ever before. With a lot of things to see but nothing MUST see and people running an event in every hole in the wall.
cbacon87 wrote: I dunno. If you're and ROH or EVOLVE and you can draw your best ever crowds at these weekends with better than average cards and average builds, why wouldn't you, but it feels like the Janela show might and probably should be something of a blueprint for smaller indies. Give people something unique. It's Wrestlemania weekend for everybody.
I thought the same coming out of the show and kinda still do. But after initial elation of the show word has gotten around that the show didn't make money. A lot of the attendance was comped and a number of wrestlers elbowed their way on card which broke the budget. Joey also tweeted this which maybe you can read between the lines on:

The show didn't just market itself towards "the 40 people apart of Wrestling Twitter" or could be dismissed that way. But it isn't completely detached from that criticism either.

Beyond Wrestling by all accounts fared better. Budgeted well and broke even early based on advanced ticket sales with a straight forward card with mysteries unlike Spring Break. They've already announced their intentions Mania weekend next year. While apparently poorly run vanity card ain't.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:43 pm

The Mania weekend blueprints are in the past:
Dragon Gate Challenge
Supercard of Honor
Better Than Our Best
Supercard of Honor II

These are shows that not only had mass workrate and star power, but gripping storyline implications aplenty.

lesser extent:
All Star Weekend Night 1
All Star Extravaganza III
Dragon Gate Challenge II
Supercard of Honor III

TGD287

Post by TGD287 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:04 pm

The fear of criticism and/or just wanting a packed house for VOD, either way I can't believe the show would resort to comps.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:05 pm

rovert wrote:
I thought the same coming out of the show and kinda still do. But after initial elation of the show word has gotten around that the show didn't make money. A lot of the attendance was comped and a number of wrestlers elbowed their way on card which broke the budget. Joey also tweeted this which maybe you can read between the lines on:

The show didn't just market itself towards "the 40 people apart of Wrestling Twitter" or could be dismissed that way. But it isn't completely detached from that criticism either.

Beyond Wrestling by all accounts fared better. Budgeted well and broke even early based on advanced ticket sales with a straight forward card with mysteries unlike Spring Break. They've already announced their intentions Mania weekend next year. While apparently poorly run vanity card ain't.
Was the goal of the show to make immediate money or to increase the profile of Janela and GCW to a lesser extent? While Janela has somewhat of a name prior to this weekend, his show was being covered everywhere and now, anyone who follows wrestling through any major wrestling website knows him. GCW had very limited visibility due to it's very NJ specific schedule, but now it's a more known entity as well.

Janela also posted this later on, so take from it what you will:

MobbVanDam

Post by MobbVanDam » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:04 pm

Can't wait for next year. Hopefully I can remain coherent and conscious this time.