WrestleMania 33 Weekend (Orlando, FL)

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Re: WrestleMania 33 Weekend (Orlando, FL)

Post by BoxingRobes » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:33 pm

200 people at a Mania Weekend show. The grimy lucha show likely pulled more. Local TGI Fridays had more for the dinner rush.

thecubsfan

Post by thecubsfan » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:43 am

The grimy lucha show got canceled :(

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:15 pm

As of right now I've got 16 matches rated a soft **** (or ****- in the Robes grading system) or better and I haven't seen the Progress show due to WWN being trash or the non-streamed shows. This has been a legit great weekend of wrestling and its not over yet.

However, the unintentional comedy of watching these wrestlers nearly half asleep as they are walking out for a midnight show after working 3-4 shows already and hustling merch all day can not be topped.

Last night's Beyond show was comical. It wasn't bad per se...but to watch Michael Elgin, who already worked three matches that day, plus was surely hustling merch all day, limp out, without his tights all of the way on, with a red chest, and maybe missing a wrestling boot had me dying. To see his eyes when these fat Monsta Mafia fucks came out was the biggest non-verbal "fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck" I've ever seen in wrestling. Then when he had to stick around for the mic-time "respect" at the end of the match when he clearly wanted to gtfo...had me in tears.

This, only topped by Donovan Dijak looking like he is about ready to succumb to an Ambien at 3am to wrestle Matt Riddle in front of 150 geeks still around at the Beyond show, was some high comedy. My dude Dijak stumbled out from the back, clearly sad as fuck, didn't even look at a single fan, got in the ring...and to his credit, didn't phone it in, despite clearly being exhausted. When the match was over, pretty sure Dijak caught a micronap on the mat as he was facedown after a Bromission. He rolled out of the ring and made his way to the back looking like any guy would after taking that 4am piss you tried desperately to avoid taking.

I do think we have seen the oversaturation point of Mania weekend. There is no way these companies or these dudes overbook themselves like this again. Surely, it sounded like a great idea at the time...but these dudes by today must be hating life. If anyone is in Orlando and a wrestler is nice to you today, they are truly a saint.

These MF'rs out here with a "real" wrestling show @ midnight. ffs. Midnight on Mania weekend is reserved for mindless nonsense like Kaiju Big Battel where its like...Chris Hero and Orange Cassidy jumping onto boxes painted like buildings in foam chicken noodle soup cans. Or for Colt Cabana and Marty to do really bad Mystery Science Theatre knockoff nonsense to bad wrestling matches. No one really wants to see one last REAL wrestling show at fucking midnight, guys. No one wants to wrestle it, either. The Janela show was the closest to capturing a real wrestling show at Midnight...but it was still mindless nonsense...and then...you can't follow that up on the same weekend. Lightening in a bottle.
Last edited by BoxingRobes on Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:22 pm

"You were so preoccupied with whether or not you could, you didn't stop to think if you should."
"If I’m Neville or Aries, I definitely give a shit about the take of TJ “Career Trajectory Vanilla Midget” Perkins regarding my burning desire for advancement and steady income." - supersonic

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:25 pm

Imagine trying to get Michael Elgin's autograph today. Dweeb is gonna get buckle-bombed into a toilet.

MobbVanDam

Post by MobbVanDam » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:46 pm

I LOVE these midnight shows. They're weird and fun and different.

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:18 pm

I've been thinking alot about why some shows didn't do well and I think another big issue with WrestleMania weekend is alot of these shows have the same guys working them. I get why and I don't blame these guys for trying to get a check. But I think when you have too many of the same guys on every show. The wrestlers loose their luster. Why would I care to see Elgin work the CZW show when he's already working the 3 evolve shows, WrestleCon, Piledrivers and Pancakes and WrestleCircus. I love Big Mike. He's easily one of my go to guys now, but at some point I'm going to want to go watch something else. ROH and NXT had the more different rosters to most of the shows this weekend. Except maybe the Joey Janella experience. Also from a performance stand point they can get a bit burnt out from working 9 shows in 3 days. IT's a massive overexposure.

Also when you announce the card I think is a huge thing especially when you are running the same time as 3 other shows. The sooner you put out the big matches, I feel the more likely you are going to entice people.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:55 pm

That is a result of the oversaturation of the weekend. Most of these shows lose their uniqueness when you have these guys working 3-4 shows PER DAY.

Janela's show...Kaiju Big Battel...they have a following and/or are a staple of the weekend and/or receive praise because they provide real alternative. Progress did the same because of the talent they were using.

What makes CZW or FEW or whatever fifth tier promotion that tried to run a show down there that made them different than say...Evolve which ran three shows this weekend? Nothing. They are just lesser quality options, clearly and most of them had lesser quality work, unfortunately.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:04 pm

The non-WWN/Wrestlecon shows really make no sense for me unless they were 1) local promotions with a loyal following or 2) Uniquely situated at a time with no competition. The FEW thing-and if we do not get the story on this, I'll be very upset-was just ridiculous when you consider the quality of opposition up against them.

In terms of the WWN/Wrestlecon shows, I have to wonder if the promotions had some form of guaranteed money coming from the bigger event promoters and if they may have even been sold shows. Both Chikara and CZW coming made very little sense given 1) neither had regularly done Mania shows apart from the year it was in NJ and the transportation budget was probably minimal and 2) the limited appeal each promotion has outside its very specific niche. CZW tried to counter that by using popular talent while Chikara didn't really do anything to attract non-fans. Both seemingly did poorly, so maybe they saw little downside to doing a show if Gabe/Wrestlecon picked up much of the tab.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:43 pm

Also, lets be honest, there is a finite amount of wrestling people want or are willing to see during this weekend, and there will be less so as Mania encroaches on 8 hours on Sunday.

FIP turnout was laughably bad, despite a semi-decent show (the Young Boy grossly overrated the show, but it was still decent and wisely booked with all of their 'good stuff' in the first hour or so). The Beyond show was average in quality with a really weird crowd, but it was clear every wrestler was not really into it.

I can only imagine Chikara and CZW was similar...the effort just isn't going to be there.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:57 pm

One issue that may also be part of future planning from both the promoter and fan side are the streaming services. Both Floslam and Highspots Network have tons of this weekend's shows up on VOD and if you know you can watch something later that isn't cannon, the motive to cram four shows into one day greatly diminishes how many people will see every single one of them.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:05 pm

Just checked and Flo has 8 shows up from this weekend, Highspots has 3 and unless their deal has changed, CZW will be up at some point as well.

K. Hare

Post by K. Hare » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:48 pm

the wrestlecon 10 man was the best match I've ever seen live. 5 stars.

FilipPejic

Post by FilipPejic » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:56 am

BoxingRobes wrote:Also, lets be honest, there is a finite amount of wrestling people want or are willing to see during this weekend, and there will be less so as Mania encroaches on 8 hours on Sunday.

FIP turnout was laughably bad, despite a semi-decent show (the Young Boy grossly overrated the show, but it was still decent and wisely booked with all of their 'good stuff' in the first hour or so). The Beyond show was average in quality with a really weird crowd, but it was clear every wrestler was not really into it.

I can only imagine Chikara and CZW was similar...the effort just isn't going to be there.
Drew Beyonds owner said that show was most profitable ever In beyond and they got a decent crowd around 400
Some Guy from Canada that you can follow on twitter @FilipPejic97

MobbVanDam

Post by MobbVanDam » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:17 am

Yeah what was so weird about Beyond? I thought it was pretty fun

What I saw of Midnight After Mania before I left was really cool too. I don't really care about indie wrestling outside of Mania weekend, so going to seven shows outside of WWE is where I get my fix. The bizarre atmosphere, venues, and times just add to it.