WWE Cruiserweight Classic

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
Garuda

Re: WWE Cruiserweight Classic

Post by Garuda » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:33 pm

Pretty much agree with Joe, although I did enjoy the Dar/Sabre match pretty well. Felt it was a good ***1/4 stars - it took a while but it did end up getting somewhere. And the finish was teriffic.

Dar's definitely the most disappointing of the entrants they've been really featuring. Less into him then several first round losers, in fact. He's young; he has plenty of time to improve. BUt he hadn't done it yet.

MobbVanDam

Post by MobbVanDam » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:03 am

I don't even need all my fingers to count the ZSJ matches I've watched, but I've really enjoyed his CWC efforts. I like how that dude just pulls finishes out of thin air. I've jumped out of my seat every time. I love his whole approach and style. I can understand it not being for everybody, but some of the vitriol I've seen towards him seems totally unwarranted.

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:02 am

haven't watched any cwc episode yet but im so sad that tozawa let japan : (

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:09 am

Guess I'm a bit out of step with others here as I really enjoyed this week's show and thought Dar/Sabre was great. The last few minutes especially were tremendous and the finisher Zack used was very cool.

Swann/Perkins was a step behind, but still a very good affair.

Next week's finale will be quite fascinating to watch as there are two guys who have already been announced for the Cruiserweight division and the two who all indications are not signed who happen to be the two favorites. I love TJ, but I can't see him making it to the finals. If everything about Zack not signing is true, then Metallik/Ibushi would be a very good final that still sets up one of the two of them to be the initial face of the division. Really excited for the show and hope this format is used again to the same success.

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:57 am

Bryan and Vinny over at F4W both noted ZSJ doesn't sell, but rather waits for the next sequence, so I no longer feel like I'm on an island.

I see Perkins being the face of the division on RAW. He can talk, he's flashy in a way that can either be presented face/heel, he has personality in and out of the ring, and he speaks English. Of the final four he's the guy who can survive Vince's biases, the different criteria for being a star on the main roster and will adjust.

DETROIT_KEJB

Post by DETROIT_KEJB » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:55 pm

ZSJ is just not for me.

ManuRomero90

Post by ManuRomero90 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:35 pm

I liked ZSJ/Dar, not as good as ZSJ/Gulak but it was a really good match, i think neither of them as showed his full potential on WWE though. Dar in particular is capable of a lot more.

cbacon87

Post by cbacon87 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:36 pm

I liked Zack/Dar as well, definitely had a different sort of flow to it but Dar looked a lot more comfortable and it seemed like they were willing to just go at each other to some degree. Stuff like Zack tripping Dar up because he was standing right over him, even if he'd just had a move done to him, isn't something you really see that often and it could have come off as awkward or sloppy, but I thought it felt a little more of a competitive match for it.
Jeff Hawkins wrote:Bryan and Vinny over at F4W both noted ZSJ doesn't sell, but rather waits for the next sequence, so I no longer feel like I'm on an island.
This is true and I definitely notice it, but it doesn't really bother me because I don't see it as him 'not selling' per-se. Sometimes he'll just sit there after a move, which looks odd. But if he was doing it because he's not selling, that'd be even more odd, because it's pretty blatant. I assume it's a stylistic thing and he is selling, just in his own way. Which seems like a cop-out excuse, but again, it's a really weird way to not sell if he's not selling.

wac

Post by wac » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:42 pm

Dar just comes off so bland to me in everything I've seen of him. I don't watch ICW or PCW though, so maybe I'm missing his best work. Any recommendations?

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:46 pm

mlev76 wrote:Guess I'm a bit out of step with others here as I really enjoyed this week's show and thought Dar/Sabre was great. The last few minutes especially were tremendous and the finisher Zack used was very cool.
I'm with you. I thought Dar focusing on Sabre's arm and legs and Sabre STILL finding a way to pull the win out of nowhere was really cool. I liked the match a lot and don't know that it's totally fair to judge Dar based off his CWC output prior to Sabre. He had easily the worst 2nd round opponent of anyone in this tournament and someone average to below average in round one.

ManuRomero90

Post by ManuRomero90 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:23 pm

wac wrote:Dar just comes off so bland to me in everything I've seen of him. I don't watch ICW or PCW though, so maybe I'm missing his best work. Any recommendations?
I recommend you to watch his work on PROGRESS, he was really young at the start and he was already good in there, ICW never booked him good but he had some good matches even with the bad booking but with PROGRESS you will get a better idea of him than the other two you mention.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:34 pm

Dar got the weakest draw in terms of quality opponents of the final 8, but you have to take blame/credit for your matches when you get to this level. I'm glad he stepped up against Zack, but given your typical ZSJ match bottoms out at about 3 1/2 stars, he certainly had plenty of help.

Dar as of now is clearly the low man amongst those signed for the Cruiserweight division, so he'll have his work cut out for him. Unlike someone Gallagher (who you could beat every week and he'd probably stay over), Dar will need help getting over more than most.

Right now, of the final 16, 7 remain unsigned (Tajiri, Gulak, Dorado, Nese, Ibushi, Sabre and Lun). Curious if any more names will be announced Monday or Wednesday.

rovert

Post by rovert » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:55 pm

Gulak is in an assumed weird spot given his association/commitment with CHIKARA. Drew may have to wait until this CHIKARA season is over. So maybe that's the hold up?

timmah

Post by timmah » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:39 pm

I get a bit frustrated with ZSJ at times because I have such high expectations of him and then he goes and has matches which are just "good" with other great workers. But he then has great matches when I don't expect it and for me this was one of those times.

rovert

Post by rovert » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:09 pm

Non tournament match