WWE Cruiserweight Classic

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
izzac99

Re: Global Cruiserweight Series (WWE)

Post by izzac99 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:17 am

I think they will get guys from Japan, a lot.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:29 am

RajahDDT wrote:So am I alone in thinking the purpose of this tournament is to debut and put over La Sombra?
I'm all-in on this, as long as they change up that name. Sounds like a guy I'd pick up at Home Depot to put up some fencing.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:38 am

mlev76 wrote:
BoxingRobes wrote:In WWE speak "Cruiserweight" is such a dirty word that undercuts the talent as real top guys.
Right now, yes. But, these things can turn very quickly and be easily resurrected if done right. Look at the US title. It was a joke before Cena had it, an integral part of the company for much of last year and now, with Del Rio and Kalisto fighting over it, it's been downgraded.

It's also been well over a decade since that term was used regularly.
The US Title is a very bad example.

When the title is on Cena...it was integral...because it was Cena that had it. Its not the title itself that was raised at all, it was just a prop to give Cena something to do...as we can tell now that its being hot potato'd with Del Rio and Kalisto...it'd be elevated if Cena lost it to someone and they ran with it and did good things with it and it was still headlining B-Show PPVs, but they dropped it to Del Rio, who is lifeless and now its back to not only being worthless, but in programs that no one really give a fuck about with matches in the two-segment, second hour slot on RAW and Smackdown.

Now, while I agree, that word hasn't been used actively in a long time, its still a dirty word that carries a stigma in the company. Now, on the WWEN with likely H's running this little project out of Full Sail, its got a shot of at least being given some respect...but God forbid this stuff gets promoted on WWE Proper. Michael Cole saying with that snarky undertone, JBL degrading them and calling them little guys or something, Lawler totally dismissing it right after Mauro puts it over big. You just know they'll be doing silly shit like that...they always do.

Plus, the WWE is either tone deaf or insanely deliberate at the vocabulary they've created and use as nomenclature in their product...a lot of it undermines everything for a talent to get themselves over individually.

ErinQuinn

Post by ErinQuinn » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:46 am

I hope they follow this up with a Super Heavy Series!

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:49 am

BoxingRobes wrote:
mlev76 wrote:
BoxingRobes wrote:In WWE speak "Cruiserweight" is such a dirty word that undercuts the talent as real top guys.
Right now, yes. But, these things can turn very quickly and be easily resurrected if done right. Look at the US title. It was a joke before Cena had it, an integral part of the company for much of last year and now, with Del Rio and Kalisto fighting over it, it's been downgraded.

It's also been well over a decade since that term was used regularly.
The US Title is a very bad example.

When the title is on Cena...it was integral...because it was Cena that had it. Its not the title itself that was raised at all, it was just a prop to give Cena something to do...as we can tell now that its being hot potato'd with Del Rio and Kalisto...it'd be elevated if Cena lost it to someone and they ran with it and did good things with it and it was still headlining B-Show PPVs, but they dropped it to Del Rio, who is lifeless and now its back to not only being worthless, but in programs that no one really give a fuck about with matches in the two-segment, second hour slot on RAW and Smackdown.

Now, while I agree, that word hasn't been used actively in a long time, its still a dirty word that carries a stigma in the company. Now, on the WWEN with likely H's running this little project out of Full Sail, its got a shot of at least being given some respect...but God forbid this stuff gets promoted on WWE Proper. Michael Cole saying with that snarky undertone, JBL degrading them and calling them little guys or something, Lawler totally dismissing it right after Mauro puts it over big. You just know they'll be doing silly shit like that...they always do.

Plus, the WWE is either tone deaf or insanely deliberate at the vocabulary they've created and use as nomenclature in their product...a lot of it undermines everything for a talent to get themselves over individually.
I think worrying about how it plays if/when it reaches the main roster is putting the cart well before the horse here. Right now, this is a Network exclusive and there's no guarantee it will go past that. This point was made on Shake Them Ropes and it's a good one-they are using the Network to market wrestling to the hardcores because that actually makes people want to watch the Network. Could it all tank on the main roster like the NXT women? Sure, but like them, it could also find it's groove eventually and get past the tropes people are sick of.

JML

Global Cruiserweight Series (WWE)

Post by JML » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:58 am

The thing about Sombra is that he is as big as Sami Zayn. I mean he can work that style but if he has a match with let's say Corey Hollis, he's gonna look like a giant.

Rey Horus would've been perfect for this but he's with LU. However, the LU/NXT meeting is something to think about.

Red and Low Ki mentioned before would be dreams for me and I think Low Ki left New Japan on worse terms than he did with WWE. He's not signed anybody and seeing him AAA recently proved to me that he can still go.

I know all 32 guys can't be known names but I'd be really disappointed if it was strictly WWN guys, some Southern Indy guys, some UK and guys from ROW (Booker T's promotion Reality of Wrestling which he said one of his guys had a tryout this weekend on MVP's show but you have to think that he also sent more guys over for secret tryouts)

I've seen Dragon Gate being talked about on Twitter as another promotion they can lean on but also they need to look at Mexico too.

sternness

Post by sternness » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:09 am

So will this all be pretaped or will it be live every week?

rovert

Post by rovert » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:44 pm

I know we are fans and are just speculating. I hope Japanese and Mexican talents are used but the talent will most likely be drawn from WWE contracted talent, WWN, PROGRESS, Rev Pro etc. You are best to play wait and see on how many spots are left after that. Names will likely emerge over time.

Cedric Alexander, John Skyler, Corey Hollis and Tony Nese all tried out last weekend. All those guys are likely to be in the tournament. Take Nese he has been under WWE's nose for years and just now he's getting a tryout? Meltzer reported a month ago that there's a novices tryout at the Arnold Classic in March and an April tryout with big indie names. Both things are true. I found out this weekend that's there a "secret" weeklong tryout mid March as well. Before the Cruiserweight show was announced I was told a lot of British talent were finally getting tryouts. I think that's the mid March tryout.

As I've said ROH has been quietly signing people to exclusive deals and locking them up without announcing it (yet). Will be interesting if ROH locks up more people.

I am also interested in Ricochet's Lucha Underground contract. Is he a free man after his last LU match or does the contract end when the last episode of Season 3 airs?

Will be an interesting hat tip towards with the status of the New Japan-WWE relationship is. Also will New Japan want talent staying in Orlando, viewing the Performance Center, being charmed by Canyon Ceman :P etc?

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:22 pm

According to Wikipedia, here is who could qualify from the main roster and the TV roster of NXT:

Main Roster

Kalisto
Neville
Tyson Kidd
Xavier Woods

NXT

Austin Aries
Chad Gable
Enzo Amore
Finn Balor
Hideo Itami

Sami Zayn is billed as being 205, so he just meets the cutoff. I'm not really sure I see any of the main roster guys participating except maybe Neville. And the NXT guys listed all seem unlikely to be involved except maybe Gable if they haven't put the tag titles on them by then.

achillesforever6

Post by achillesforever6 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:37 pm

I don't think Tyson is going to be wrestling anytime soon if ever again

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:03 pm

rovert wrote: I am also interested in Ricochet's Lucha Underground contract. Is he a free man after his last LU match or does the contract end when the last episode of Season 3 airs?
Didn't the Hernandez/Lucha Underground/TNA fiasco last year pretty much answer this question?

rovert

Post by rovert » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:38 pm

mlev76 wrote:According to Wikipedia, here is who could qualify from the main roster and the TV roster of NXT:

Main Roster

Kalisto
Neville
Tyson Kidd
Xavier Woods

NXT

Austin Aries
Chad Gable
Enzo Amore
Finn Balor
Hideo Itami
Chris Girard (Biff Busick), Manny Andrade, Rich Swann and Sami Zayn are missing.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:21 pm

rovert wrote:
mlev76 wrote:According to Wikipedia, here is who could qualify from the main roster and the TV roster of NXT:

Main Roster

Kalisto
Neville
Tyson Kidd
Xavier Woods

NXT

Austin Aries
Chad Gable
Enzo Amore
Finn Balor
Hideo Itami
Chris Girard (Biff Busick), Manny Andrade, Rich Swann and Sami Zayn are missing.
I didn't list any of the people who Wikipedia lists as "house show" talent which explains the first 3. Zayn is listed as 205 exactly and the series is for people under 205.

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:54 pm

mlev76 wrote:
rovert wrote:

Main Roster

Kalisto
Neville
Tyson Kidd
Xavier Woods

NXT

Austin Aries
Chad Gable
Enzo Amore
Finn Balor
Hideo Itami
I didn't list any of the people who Wikipedia lists as "house show" talent which explains the first 3. Zayn is listed as 205 exactly and the series is for people under 205.
I think 205 is just a number they use for descriptive purposes but I don't think they will actually be resorting to weight in cases like Zayn. More just who fits the build. If they wanted someone who is 210 they'll put them in.

rovert

Post by rovert » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:58 pm

dancecab wrote: I think 205 is just a number they use for descriptive purposes but I don't think they will actually be resorting to weight in cases like Zayn. More just who fits the build. If they wanted someone who is 210 they'll put them in.
And it is it's own entity from NXT TV in so far as we know.