WWE Cruiserweight Classic

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
RollGomazouRoll

Re: WWE Cruiserweight Classic

Post by RollGomazouRoll » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:38 am

In the eponymous Classic, thirty-two athletes simply competed to be the best, with the focus on in-ring dexterity rather than outlandish characters. While amazing skills and psychology earn recognition amongst more technical fans, a paucity of charisma has proven to be deleterious for the prospects of many a skilled worker. (See Lance Storm and Osamu Kido, proof that this is true on both sides of the Pacific)

Apart from Rich Swann and Jack Gallagher effervescence has proven to be elusive amongst this generation of Cruiserweights, thus leading to a lukewarm product so far - definitely not the result WWE was looking for.

Thus, be it on RAW or Smackdown, compelling characters are essential. While technical wrestlers often suffer due to an understated in-ring style, here are some humble suggestions for improving their characters:

The Brian Kendrick - The Man With A Plan has added a few quivers to his bow, with his ring generalship being fairly unique. Unfortunately a generic heel character has undercut his prospects.

Solution: It is common knowledge that Kendrick has trained heat magnet Eva Marie, so the Pirate should use that to his advantage. It wouldn't hurt to mention his links to Shinsuke Nakamura (CHAOS in NJPW) and Daniel Bryan (Fellow students of Shawn Michaels) in a deluded heel gimmick.

Drew Gulak - Poor Gulak has been on the wrong end of the results in almost all his major appearances so far. To WWE it seems like he is the Chase Owens to Tony Nese's Kenny Omega, a solid enough worker to take falls for his associate.

Solution: Drew Gulak, more than any other technical Cruiserweight is representative of the rooted, understated grappling style. Portray him as such; him and Nese could take umbrage at Steve Austin's famous "Boring" promo to skilled grappler Lance Storm. Denouncing the beloved Austin is a facile way for some solid heat.

achillesforever6

Post by achillesforever6 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:31 pm

I think another problem I just thought of was that the WWE agents for 205 and the CWs are also pretty stuck in their ways and don't like the idea of a heel having an exciting move set; no it has to be ground and pound with chinlocks all the way.

RobViper13

Post by RobViper13 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:57 pm

I like how they've told certain people they can't speak Spanish because the fans won't understand them but sure let's have Noam Bore out there cutting a 45 minute marble mouth promo.

The guy who compared this to the Divas division before the whole revolution nonsense continues to be right on the mark. We even have a useless chick on the show who's only role in life seems to be to make googly eyes at Cedric.

Maybe they can combine the "best" of both worlds next week and have the orange haired chick follow Noam around like a lovesick puppy to set up the inevitable intergender match sure to set the world on fire.
"Whoa is me" - BuzzSawyer

achillesforever6

Post by achillesforever6 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:48 am

Lince Dorado and Mustafa Ali had a match that ended in double countout, but looks like they are building to a good feud of high fliers

Swann lost to TJP because Swann tweaked his knee and TJP exploited it for the win with the kneebar, adds some drama on whether TJP is right that Swann is just lucky.

Honestly I appreciate the CW and 205 for how simple and straightforward the stories are and the use of vignettes to introduce talent or give them more character.

Now if they start taping before the show I think 205 will be in a much better place, if nothing else it will be like Main Event where there was always at least one decent match to watch.

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:21 pm

I dug last nights 205 MUCH MORE than the previous episodes.

Dorado and Ali had a GOOD MATCH that was really picking up, then the finish happened. But it works, Ali's first appearance and he definitely showed what he can do. This is what the people want to see when they hear CRUISERWEIGHT.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:38 am

Best 205 yet this week. Gallagher can still kick rocks as far as i'm concerned, but I liked the Ali/Dorado match. It had good action and the double count out came off OK because it was something different and left me wanting more (in a good way). The main event was the usual ***1/4 main, but this week it had the middle match offer support.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:02 am

Who's ready for nEVILle to dominate 205 Live?

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:16 am

I loved his Heel Turn, so good. Felt really natural. About time they do something with him.

achillesforever6

Post by achillesforever6 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:58 am

Not surprised there is a love triangle on 205, after all it is a CW show

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:21 pm

Another slightly depressing show with tonnes of people leaving during the first two matches. The main event was good though. At least Neville coming back has rejuvenated it for the casual fans.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:19 pm

Heel Neville as the King of the Cruiserweights is something I can absolutely get behind. He carried the NXT title picture during the first few Takeover specials and I feel like he is the guy to get the Cruiserweight division solidified.

This week's show was solid with a very good match for the main event. They definitely need to tape this before Smackdown though. I can't think of a single person who will care if its live to tape.

outlaw911

Post by outlaw911 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:32 pm

I say the biggest problem for the CW div has been there no real characters in the div outside of jack gallagher

one reason i think they should had sign da mack

GameFreac

Post by GameFreac » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:04 pm

Kept meaning to go back and watch the whole tournament but ain't nobody got time for that. What are the must see matches from the tournament?

RobViper13

Post by RobViper13 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:06 pm

Today's wrestlers are a bunch of wimps.

Or at least that's what I think the idea is after watching 205 Live from the other day. I dunno... it's just funny to me that the guy who is going to be running the company had one of his biggest career moments occur in a match where he tore his quad but kept going. They literally harp on this during every video package done on him to show you what a tough warrior he is. Then you have something like on 205 Live where Mr. 450 wasn't injured badly, he just tweaked something. He was clearly able to continue & fully communicating with the referee that he was fine but they still cut the match and made them go home immediatly. That kinda sucks if you ask me. I mean I know it's a total longshot but let's just say MAYYYYYYYYYYBE Mr. 450 makes something of himself in WWE down the line & part of his story can be how he got injured in his debut match but fought through the pain to put on a good match. It's a hell of a story if you ask me.

I know some WWE superfan will scold me for not caring about the health of wrestlers like their precious company but let's be honest - if this isn't a 205 Live and isn't these 2 guys, the match isn't being stopped. If Randy Orton tweaks his groin or knee working at the Rumble against whoever else, the match isn't being stopped. It's like that old saying of "you can't be half pregnant". Either you're 100% committed to wrestlers safety & stop every match where there's an injury or you don't and let them police themselves.
"Whoa is me" - BuzzSawyer

phenom951

Post by phenom951 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:52 pm

GameFreac wrote:Kept meaning to go back and watch the whole tournament but ain't nobody got time for that. What are the must see matches from the tournament?
Every Kota Ibushi match
Every TJ Perkins match
Gulak vs Sabre Jr.
Sabre Jr. vs Noam Dar (not everyone's cup of tea but I loved it)
The last match obviously
Tozawa vs Gallagher
Ciampa vs Gargano
Tozawa vs Metalik

And that pretty much covers it.