WWE Royal Rumble 2016

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
GuestTimekeeper

Re: WWE Royal Rumble 2016

Post by GuestTimekeeper » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:09 pm

The most egregious camera miss wasn't missing Kofi's elimination. For some reason, the camera was focused solely on Reigns during AJ's entrance video. It's ridiculous that we have to find a fan made video on YouTube to see what got the biggest pop of the night.

The Rumble was fine, but I wonder if people are over rating is because it managed to not be a dumpster fire like last year. Things like "everybody served a purpose" or "it was entertaining" should be the expectation, not something to give 4 1/2 stars to. It was better then average, but a predictibly disappointing ending, and the wackiness with Reigns pseudo stretcher job hurt it for me.

I'd give it ***1/2, though in the moment I was prepared to go much lower because of the Reigns situation. As soon as he walked out, everyone I was watching woth was dreading him coming back because of how lazy the storytelling was, and that cast a cloud over the last half of the match for us. After sleeping on it though, the good bits made me more entertained then not.

Morten VH

Post by Morten VH » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:13 pm

Lost in the Styles hype is that Sami Zayn is on the main roster now. At least i assume so? That's amazing and i hope they use him well.

DETROIT_KEJB

Post by DETROIT_KEJB » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:26 pm

He is involved with the next couple months of NXT tapings so that might not be immediate.

Morten VH

Post by Morten VH » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:27 pm

Maybe Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn program runs on NXT, while Kevin Owens and AJ Styles program runs on WWE main?

NoLoudNoise

Post by NoLoudNoise » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:38 pm

Zayn still has a thing with Joe going on and presumably is facing Balor for the belt at WM

y2chae

Post by y2chae » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:37 pm

Are they running a NXT event the Friday or Saturday before Mania? Or is the NXT belt actually going to be defended on Mania?

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:51 pm

y2chae wrote:Are they running a NXT event the Friday or Saturday before Mania? Or is the NXT belt actually going to be defended on Mania?
NXT Takeover: Dallas is the Friday.

wac

Post by wac » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:56 pm

So what did everyone think of Roman Reigns's selling

wac

Post by wac » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:27 pm

Wow, Fray really no sold that joke on Twitter

TGD287

Post by TGD287 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:03 pm

The thing about a possible duo feud for Sami against Joe toward Finn on NXT, and Owens on Raw, is that he'll basically be done with the Takeover TV build this week, outside of some possible rehersal matches on the live events. So if they want, they can then focus his efforts toward building against Owens on the main roster every week.

ajdb

Post by ajdb » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:05 pm

Rewatching the Rumble right now and a conspiracy theory formed in my head. There was a Plan A & Plan B for that Rumble:

Plan A: Roman wins the Rumble by eliminating Triple H
Plan B: If the crowd shits on Roman, Triple H eliminates him then Dean to win.

The reason I say this is if notice Roman went to the back before Dean came out. It would've been nothing for Vince to call the audible to Plan B because the only 3 people that needed to know (Trips, Roman & Dean) were all in the back together. They all knew Roman was getting booed out of building, they knew Roman couldn't be in the final 2. Makes sense to me. Hell add Sheamus to the conspiracy if you want since he was in the Final Four and was in the back with them as well.

wac

Post by wac » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:18 pm

The odds were heavily in Triple H's favor before the match started, so it seems like a lot more than 3 people knew the finish.

JB Gremlin

Post by JB Gremlin » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:35 pm

Just finished the rumble, completely confused as to how AJ's very first pop was seen by the home viewer through an image of Roman's, at best, disinterested face instead of us seeing his tron.

I enjoyed the last 5 minutes of this match but I thought everything else was either average, poor or plainly ludicrous. Why on earth would Miz stand on commentary for five minutes and then at a random point decide "now I'm going in" and STILL fail to eliminate anybody? JBL say's he's a genius when he in fact looks like a complete moron. Similarly, why would the Wyatt Family be content with eliminating Brock? "We will cheat to get rid of Brock but god forbid we have the intelligence to stick around and dispose of everybody else ensuring Bray wins. Once Brock's gone he can do it all himself" ridiculous.

And, most importantly, I look forward to the continued sacrifice of the entire roster's ability to get over in order to make HHH and Roman look important. The only people you could possibly care about on the roster are AJ and Zayn (and possibly Owens) and that's because they've yet to have been too adversely affected by the stupid booking.

Planet

Post by Planet » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:07 pm

It felt like they were keeping it from the viewer on purpose. I hesitate to say that WWE was tailoring the product to people who knew AJ would be there, but the drama in my viewing party was palpable and the reactions all around were positive despite only slight understanding of who he was except for me. Plus, Roman and AJ just feels really fresh and that was very helpful to the vibe of the next so many minutes before Roman left the ring.

I liked a lot of it, honestly. AJ was protected, Owens was protected despite his injury, Sayn's debut was great and looked important, Dean obviously did great, Strowman throwing out Kane and Big Show was pretty interesting considering their part in last years Rumble. Other than the obligatory "Why don't they just all jump in and toss him out" stuff from both the League of Nations and the Wyatts it was all pretty solid. And when Triple H arrived and it came to him and Dean I was pretty surprised and happy that he didn't just Pedigree him in the middle of the ring and throw him out like a ragdoll like he probably would have to London and Kendrick. That all said, Roman leaving the Rumble for most of it held a spectre over everything that was going on, they could have put a flashing light at the bottom of the screen that said "This part doesn't really matter, Roman will be back soon." And to add to that Roman really didn't do anything important aside from second on a few eliminations.

All in all a much better Rumble than the year or even the past few years, with fights continuing and a lot of satisfying action to pair with insufferable inevitabilities. But the janky and clearly stilted mood, being built around Roman, and the gulf between the pops they clearly wanted and the ones they got hurt the overall quality. So, a good rumble, but I'm not sure why it's getting such high critical praise.