WWE Royal Rumble 2016

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
wac

Re: WWE Royal Rumble 2016

Post by wac » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:12 am

Meltzer: "The match itself was great, one of the best Rumbles ever."

Kraetsch: ****3/4, "as well booked a Rumble I've ever seen"

Am I going crazy, or was that a completely mediocre Rumble that had a couple of nice spots and a lot of groaners? It was good in comparison to last year's complete disaster, but really far from one of the best Rumbles ever.

Hagan

Post by Hagan » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:17 am

One of the better overall Rumble shows.

- Loved the opener. Both guys looked great.
- Tag match was fun.
- Women's match was great and everyone came off like a star.
- Kalisto and ADR was a bit rough but maybe Kalisto gets an extended run.
- Rumble was awesome. As expected, AJ got a huge reaction and came off like a star. Wyatt Family looked good and, say what you will, that Bray and Hunter face-off got an audible buzz. The tropey Roman shit mid-match sucked but Rusev enthusiastically hugging Vince was great. Zayn got his revenge. I have no problem with Jericho being in there because isn't the idea that the reason Jericho is always in these gimmick matches is because he can play traffic cop for the less experienced guys?

Lesnar was kind of a waste and him against Bray is a snoozer of a match. I do hope that after Bray loses to Cena, UT and Brock in successive Manias that next year he takes it easy and challenges Ziggler or something.

Absolutely amazed anyone thinking that A) Hunter wasn't going to win B) he wouldn't get a babyface pop making a surprise return to a hardcore crowd in what is essentially his home territory. Is this really any more egregious than this putting the belt on The Rock? As with anything with Hunter, it all depends on if you like his act and his work. I really like both and this is the story they're trying to tell. He'll get cheered at Mania, too.

I also believe this was like Dean's 9th time of almost becoming WWE champ. That's a story they can tell one day but they probably won't.

DETROIT_KEJB

Post by DETROIT_KEJB » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:21 am

I liked some things (Wyatts, Lesnar)
I thought they made a mistake with AJ.
Roman sucks. HHH in 2016 is something I have 0% interest in.

The rumble was just okay to me. I can't comprehend Rich rating it that high (which puts it right in MOTY contention). I'm interested in hearing him justify it on the next podcast.

sivapc

Post by sivapc » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:36 am

AJ in there was just surreal

JML

WWE Royal Rumble 2016

Post by JML » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:41 am

wac wrote:Meltzer: "The match itself was great, one of the best Rumbles ever."

Am I going crazy, or was that a completely mediocre Rumble that had a couple of nice spots and a lot of groaners? It was good in comparison to last year's complete disaster, but really far from one of the best Rumbles ever.
I started looking at some of the Rumbles on the Network the week leading up to tonight and some of them were pretty bad. I wouldn't go ****3/4 but it's better than a lot them. 1992 is the standard but they had a good run of Rumbles in the mid 2000s until the one Orton won in 2009. Been bad ever since but I feel like it ended tonight.

rollup

Post by rollup » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:19 am

can't wait to watch the rumble ... will be strange if roman ends up as a 3 time champ in a space of less than 1 year though

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:26 am

DETROIT_KEJB wrote:Oof. Kalisto looked awful here.
ThomasOP wrote:Last Man Standing, was a good match, but the amount of time spent setting up spots was really bad. This was probably my match of the night still.

ADR/Kalisto was a major letdown. Alberto was really awesome in this, but Kalisto was just so off tonight. Seemed like the crowd totally checked out on him.
That's so unfortunate to hear, especially about Kalisto, because I loved the shit out of their SD match and expected big things from this one.

And yeah, that part about setting up spots, thank you for that, I was going to watch the match, but now you spared me 20 min, lol, they did all the WWE gimmick match tropes, no thanks.

ThomasOP

Post by ThomasOP » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:28 am

Ambrose/Owens is worth watching just for some dude in the front row heckling Owens while he takes 10 minutes to set up a table. Including these gems "Nice tattoo, it looks like The Rock's" & "I feel like you're wasting your time right now"

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:51 am

Haha, I hope it appears on BotchaMania.

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:23 pm

Good 8/10 Rumble, it was solid, most of the ring work was fine, I'm happy for Kalisto and Styles (and maybe Zayn) for their respective opportunities) but I wouldn't call it one of my favorites. They didn't need to squash Henry and Swagger after winning those spots, it just makes two legit athletes and former World champs look terrible. Had I known that's all that would happen I would have rotted for DarrenDow/the Ascension. Also while the Reigns Rusev spot was sick, missing Kofi getting eliminated was disappointing. Last gripe, I wouldn't have minded Trips getting another title run, but not at the Royal Rumble for the title. That match with that stip was too important for his vanity run.

Again not a favorite, but I enjoyed what I saw (aside from the above gripes and the Flair kiss) so good show

bristol08

Post by bristol08 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:25 pm

Really enjoyed the show. The rumble was booked very well it just a shame that the main angle was not great, but that I feel was booked during the rumble as best they could with the train wreck that has been the Roman Reigns push. Styles was great and I like them holding off on the styles clash make a raw or ppv audience go nuts for it like KENTA's GTS but even bigger.
@theow45

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:31 pm

Does the WWE realize that Triple H is the face in this "feud" with Roman Reigns? Everything about this puts Triple H in the face column.

cbacon87

Post by cbacon87 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:07 pm

What about the bit where they put Reigns at 1 and HHH put himself at 30?

cbacon87

Post by cbacon87 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:12 pm

BackLash wrote:Also while the Reigns Rusev spot was sick, missing Kofi getting eliminated was disappointing.
That was the only real 'miss' I can think of to be honest. I don't mind them doing an elimination while other stuff is going on because it's more realistic, but that wasn't the elimination to do it with. No idea who that's on, whether it's Jericho or the refs or the League Of Nations deal ran long but New Day deserved better.

UNLESS, they figured the crowd'd boo big for Kofi getting eliminated and tried to 'hide it' a bit. But that may be giving them a bit too much credit.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:19 pm

wac wrote:Meltzer: "The match itself was great, one of the best Rumbles ever."

I think they both overrated it a bit, but I thought it was very good, bordering on great. The LON attack took it down a peg, but there were a lot of cool things including AJ's debut, Brock's run, Sami/Owens, Owens eliminating Styles and the final four was well done. Even the comedy with Truth and Kofi was fun even if the camera work missed the Kofi elimination.