WWE Royal Rumble 2016

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
achillesforever6

Re: WWE Royal Rumble 2016

Post by achillesforever6 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:08 pm

greenmanRD wrote:The Rumble last year was just such a poorly booked spectacle that it was like a train wreck. How people within the company thought last year's Rumble was going to get a positive response given what happened in 2014 is mind blowing.

The only problem I have with this year's Rumble is that with the title on the line, there's very few people who could foreseeably win it, even more so than usual. Before the prize was World Championship at Mania, which added suspense because that opens the avenue for a lot of different guys to win. But this year, there's very few choices on who could win, which hurts the match imo. But it could still be a good Rumble as they opened up the possibility for a lot of surprise entrants.

This year's Rumble card looks good though and all the undercard matches should get a ton of time since the Rumble segment itself is probably only going to take 1:15-1:25 or so. Leaves approximately 1:30 for four undercard matches, interviews and such. Could be a lot of fun.
The 2015 Rumble should have been really simple to book, basically first don't have Daniel Bryan cleared and give an impassionate promo about how he is going to win it if he's not going to win the Rumble, second don't force Roman down the throats, in fact just book the 2014 Rumble except Roman wins in the end.

Morten VH

Post by Morten VH » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:41 pm

This will be my first WWE show since SSeries, so i'm curious to see how it turns out. The last two months has been some of the best of my wrestling fandom, so i'm a little scared to come back home to WWE. With that said, Rumble is my favorite match gimmick of all time, so i'm excited just for that alone. I also have a theory that WWE is better, if you aren't into the storylines, so you just watch the matches without having any pre-determined mindset about it.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:45 pm

► Show Spoiler

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:49 pm

Due to very odd work schedules I'll be lucky to see the first half of the Royal Rumble match before I run to catch a bus, but hopefully it'll be a good one. I've only watched WWE regularly since mid-2013 so the only satisfying and good Rumble matches I've actually seen have been ones I've checked out retroactively (I also watched in 2003-2005 but only TV, no PPV's). Still, the utter fandom meltdown afterwards has always been entertaining, even though the actual matches were garbage fires.

I hope the winner is Brock, but if I had to put money on it, I'd bet on Roman. If it's HHH, I'll Yano shrug so hard my neck will disappear.

greenmanRD

Post by greenmanRD » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:34 pm

achillesforever6 wrote:
greenmanRD wrote:The Rumble last year was just such a poorly booked spectacle that it was like a train wreck. How people within the company thought last year's Rumble was going to get a positive response given what happened in 2014 is mind blowing.

The only problem I have with this year's Rumble is that with the title on the line, there's very few people who could foreseeably win it, even more so than usual. Before the prize was World Championship at Mania, which added suspense because that opens the avenue for a lot of different guys to win. But this year, there's very few choices on who could win, which hurts the match imo. But it could still be a good Rumble as they opened up the possibility for a lot of surprise entrants.

This year's Rumble card looks good though and all the undercard matches should get a ton of time since the Rumble segment itself is probably only going to take 1:15-1:25 or so. Leaves approximately 1:30 for four undercard matches, interviews and such. Could be a lot of fun.
The 2015 Rumble should have been really simple to book, basically first don't have Daniel Bryan cleared and give an impassionate promo about how he is going to win it if he's not going to win the Rumble, second don't force Roman down the throats, in fact just book the 2014 Rumble except Roman wins in the end.
I just think this Rumble seems so damned predictable. I would love it if they did something unexpected and throw Roman out early. But let's be honest, that ain't going on.

duyarvish

Post by duyarvish » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:49 pm

Predictable isn't necessarily bad if it's not done poorly. I'd much rather just see the HHH win everyone expects then to see them try and swerve everyone and do something stupid.

greenmanRD

Post by greenmanRD » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:01 pm

I think in this instance, when the predictable is HHH winning the WWE title in 2016, it's hard to imagine it being good. Especially since it could very well come at the emasculation of the entire roster.

rovert

Post by rovert » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:54 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:I've always said the Royal Rumble is like pizza, even if it's bad... it's still pretty good. Even last year's poorly booked Rumble was still supremely entertaining. I contend that there's never been a truly BAD Royal Rumble, so I'm really excited. We'll have a preview up in the next few days as well as on this week's flagship podcast but there are a lot of ways the Rumble itself can go and that's always a good thing.
As been the case for the last few years when it comes to the Big Four PPVs. The build on social media is more key than the TV build. Two hours before the Rumble most of us will be gasping for the Rumble.

Was disappointed when I saw the opening odds for Becky-Charlotte. Becky is double the odds of Charlotte. I am ok if Becky doesn't win but Becky winning the title in Orlando would be a cool full circle moment for her. As she explained in her Talk Is Jericho staying in Orlando nine years ago was the lowest time in her life - lonely and feeling like a failure after quitting Wrestling.

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:55 pm

WWE.com announce earlier this afternoon that there will be a fatal four-way tag team match to decide two vacant spots in the Rumble. Facing off are The Dudleyz, The Ascension, Mark Henry and Jack Swagger and Darren Young and Damien Sandow. Yeah, that last pair is an odd one. They must want Titus in the Rumble if they are going to split up PTP and have him not fight for his shot.

On a different note, I wouldn't mind having Hunter having one more run with the title, but this Rumble isn't the time and place for that. To clarify, Hunter having one more run, yes him in the RR, yes, seeing HHH getting the belt in the RR, no.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:45 am

Did not realize the Rumble was this weekend. Will tune in, I suppose.

CThrash13

Post by CThrash13 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:37 pm

I can't see anyone other than Reigns or Lesnar winning this year's Royal Rumble, but like someone else stated, that'll be okay as long as the match is well thought out and done correctly. And who knows, maybe the WWE will throw us a last-minute curveball. I'm excited for the Rumble regardless because I enjoy all of them. It's been my favorite event for a long time! And it just so happens this year's overall card is pretty solid. It has the potential to be a nice event and start 2016 off well!

ODonnell

Post by ODonnell » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:49 pm

My heart can't take this kind of trolling

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:28 pm

Way too many clearance teases this month for me to be convinced he's done.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:03 am

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:26 pm

Not predicting what will happen, but if this happened, you get a pretty good build to Mania:

Roman is 1 and Brock is 2. Big battle to start the Rumble and you get some cannon fodder tossed early until a big or semi-big name comes in at 7 and the two get separated.

Final Four are Roman, Brock, Bray and one more (Sheamus?). Comes down to Bray, Roman and Brock and the Wyatt Family comes out and helps eliminate Brock. Roman eliminates Bray. Then Triple H comes out at 31 and wins.

Fast Lane we get Roman vs. Triple H and Bray vs. Brock. Brock and Roman win and we get Brock vs. Roman for Mania.