WWE NXT 2016

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
Empiresk

Re: WWE NXT 2016

Post by Empiresk » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:28 pm

syxxpakk wrote:Elias Samson has more of a character than Neville did.
People have followed PAC/Neville for several years so there is his back story and as to why people were invested. Elias Sampson is a WWE guy from scratch more or less and we know nothing of him and have nothing to relate to.

That's my interpretation of it anyway. Could say the same about Apollo Crews/Uhaa Nation knowing his history.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:18 pm

NXT doesn't ask much of the viewer (this is a good thing)...but one thing they do ask/expect is that you know/accept some of these indie guys/girls they bring in...either for ones offs or for big signings.

Personally, I like the fact that they bring in the Ciampas, the Garganos, the Crazy Mary Dobsons, the Santana Garretts of the world for the undercard. It really helps supplement the main roster where the entire focus is on 3-4 programs (NXT Title, Women's Title, Tag Team Title, and throw in your token upper mid-card fare). To me, they often let the mid and undercard just kind of happen (which is cool, I like cold-matches). These established talent allow for the viewer to be engaged in the in-ring product without having much story or creative time focused on it.

I, as a fan of the indies, don't need a program for my eyes to be invested in a Johnny Gargano v. in-house product for a 7m second segment match (and neither does the Full Sail audience)...which is kind of the point of having them around.

syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:34 pm

Empiresk wrote:
syxxpakk wrote:Elias Samson has more of a character than Neville did.
People have followed PAC/Neville for several years so there is his back story and as to why people were invested. Elias Sampson is a WWE guy from scratch more or less and we know nothing of him and have nothing to relate to.

That's my interpretation of it anyway. Could say the same about Apollo Crews/Uhaa Nation knowing his history.
Maybe I'm just being particular about the term "character."

By definition in wrestling, a wrestler's character is defined by his/her personality and their traits. Kane is a psycho because at a young age his older brother set their house on fire and killed their parents. The Rock is a cocky jock. Steve Austin was a the tough guy everyman. Elias Samson is a vagabond country musician. Neville.... Well... He does flips. That was the genuine extent of his character on NXT (and I assume WWE-proper but I don't watch that).

Neville had no distinctive personality or character traits aside from he did a bunch of high flying stuff and that was pretty cool.

I'm not commenting on why people might be more invested in Neville than Elias. I was more invested in Neville than I am currently with Elias. He was still entertaining to watch. But at the end of the day, there was no real character for Neville to speak of.
"If I’m Neville or Aries, I definitely give a shit about the take of TJ “Career Trajectory Vanilla Midget” Perkins regarding my burning desire for advancement and steady income." - supersonic

rovert

Post by rovert » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:01 am

ODonnell

Post by ODonnell » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:49 am

I honestly don't know if that tweet from biff is kayfabe or not. It's too real

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:02 am

ODonnell wrote:I honestly don't know if that tweet from biff is kayfabe or not. It's too real
Felt the same way. Not sure if srs.

rovert

Post by rovert » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:53 am

Ahead of the NXT Dallas I need to point a few things injury wise:

There's still no further news about what is wrong with Dana Brooke.

Hugo Knox someone who was making headway hasn't Wrestled since mid February. Likewise Tucker Knight.

Peyton Royce hasn't been on shows for two weeks. Someone told me she took a bad Samoan Drop in Ohio but then still worked the Arnold expo but not much since. Might be an issue stemming from that.

At the same time they've been really cycling people in and out too. Nia Jax hasn't worked much recently. Baron Corbin and Alexa Bliss rarely work Florida anymore. So who really knows.

CThrash13

Post by CThrash13 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:16 pm

I still enjoy NXT quite a bit, but the regular weekly shows aren't nearly as good as Lucha Underground right now. Things have slowly gotten worse the last 12-18 months for a number of reasons. Neville was called up, while Zayn and Itami both suffered big injuries. Add to that 3 of the Horsewomen and Tyler Breeze being called up. The women's division hasn't been anywhere near as good since which isn't really a surprise. I just haven't been as entertained the past several months, although the Takeover shows are still delivering big time!

The tag team division is the highlight of the show for me, and we didn't get any of that this past week. That's probably why I'm a bit more down on NXT than usual because this past episode was pretty blah. Like I said, I still enjoy it...just not as much as I did in 2014 and some of 2015. They'll get it back together though, it's all a cycle.

NXT Takeover Dallas has the potential to be really good! The main roster usually gets a little stale right before Mania time because they don't really want to give away too much before their big event, and I think NXT has fallen into that a little bit lately as well. I expect Takeover Dallas to be great, and I things should pick up pretty well in the months after that for NXT and the main roster. A lot of fans love this time of the wrestling year the most, but I prefer the few months after Mania.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:48 pm

I'm not counting on NXT rebounding. It's not a coincidence that SmackDown became superior at the beginning of the year right as NXT weakened on its storyline builds and character development.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:36 am

supersonic wrote:I'm not counting on NXT rebounding. It's not a coincidence that SmackDown became superior at the beginning of the year right as NXT weakened on its storyline builds and character development.
You say that right as they are going to give us Balor-Joe II, Bayley-Asuka, Zayn-Nakamura, the coronation of American Alpha, and the debut of Austin Aries in a week and right before the WWE, by extension give us the "Cruiserweight" Series.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:27 am

There have been very minimal storyline segments to build actual heat between opponents for those matches listed. It feels very much like any other supercard with some nice high-budget video packages. From a storyline perspective, this is easily the laziest booked Takeover to date, relying on a dream lineup on paper instead, while SmackDown has suddenly become a much more focused program with big stars and storyline advancement. That coincides with Meltzer reporting that Ryan Ward had been promoted to that show's writing team.

rovert

Post by rovert » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:12 am

People poo poo'd the Stroud article too quickly. It is what NXT talent thinks about the product.

There's been a lot of negative changes recently. Fans are wistfully talking about how things were much better 2015 and before.

For example the meet and greet/interaction situation is so much different now versus even a year ago at the Florida shows has changed so much. Fans and wrestlers used to meet and chat after the shows. Now fans are told by security that Wrestlers aren't allowed to leave the building until the car park is empty. With excuse that a fan could be carrying a weapon. The ISIS may attack Survivor Series story last year was used as an excuse to institute a bunch of changes that are anti-fan. Wrestlers enter via barriers which fans are told to step away from. There's metal detectors at the door.

I await people here just calling NXT Florida fans whiny babies. But fans are less invested and connected already with the talent and the product. The changes at shows at a local level won't hurt Finn, Bayley, Baron, Joe, Asuka, Enzo and Cass etc but the next wave are going to be less beloved. The Creative isn't helping the situation either at the same time.

NXT is no longer this FCW informed grass roots thing. The transition to a global brand hasn't been a well handled one.

Then you have the loss of Dusty Rhodes and the inevitable call ups of Becky, Charlotte, Sasha and Zayn - talent that were kind of the heart of NXT. That's a lot of change very quickly.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:20 am

rovert wrote:People poo poo'd the Stroud article too quickly. It is what NXT talent thinks about the product.

There's been a lot of negative changes recently. Fans are wistfully talking about how things were much better 2015 and before.

For example the meet and greet/interaction situation is so much different now versus even a year ago at the Florida shows has changed so much. Fans and wrestlers used to meet and chat after the shows. Now fans are told by security that Wrestlers aren't allowed to leave the building until the car park is empty. With excuse that a fan could be carrying a weapon. The ISIS may attack Survivor Series story last year was used as an excuse to institute a bunch of changes that are anti-fan. Wrestlers enter via barriers which fans are told to step away from. There's metal detectors at the door.

I await people here just calling NXT Florida fans whiny babies. But fans are less invested and connected already with the talent and the product. The changes at shows at a local level won't hurt Finn, Bayley, Baron, Joe, Asuka, Enzo and Cass etc but the next wave are going to be less beloved. The Creative isn't helping the situation either at the same time.

NXT is no longer this FCW informed grass roots thing. The transition to a global brand hasn't been a well handled one.

Then you have the loss of Dusty Rhodes and the inevitable call ups of Becky, Charlotte, Sasha and Zayn - talent that were kind of the heart of NXT. That's a lot of change very quickly.
It's not so much that I doubt your comments. It's that, as a weekly viewer, my perspective is that the lack of major show in almost 4 months made the tv seem less urgent. While I don't agree with the Meltzer line that the weekly shows are only ok and people overrate them due to the quality of the Takeovers, I do think the Takeovers rejuvenate the passion that your fans have for the product. Without that, there is a natural listlessness that sets in.

It's not unfair for the local supporters to be upset that the center of the NXT universe seems to be moving away from them. But, this has been a known reality for a while now. And the Florida shows still get a lot of talent the rest of us don't get right away.

There is certainly a transition going on due to the talents leaving and if/when Finn and Bayley leave, there will be a further transition. A lot of growing pains going on, much of which will likely dissipate as time goes on.

rovert

Post by rovert » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:37 am

I agree with your first paragraph a great deal. But there's other factors too and they are eroding away the foundation the built/stumbled upon. Next Tuesday after the Wrestlemania Raw will be interesting as then we will have a clearer view of what players NXT has to play with.

In terms of persistent NXT rumours Nikki Storm's last match is this Sunday:

In regards to Tommy End. PROGRESS spoiler
► Show Spoiler
. He doesn't have many dates announced for after Wrestlemania weekend but is advertised up to May 21st for International Catch Wrestling Alliance in France:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CekA3V5W8AEDvID.jpg

themib

Post by themib » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:09 pm

As far as Tommy goes, wXw set up a feud with the Sumerian Death Squad against tag team champions Cerberus, and SDS have a match in Oberhausen next month against Hot & Spicy.