WWE NXT 2016

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
rovert

Re: WWE NXT 2016

Post by rovert » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:09 am

Jason Powell is saying he's hearing the words "player coach" associated with Bobby Roode. Roode is/was Terry Taylor's protege so that's his main "in" with NXT.

rovert

Post by rovert » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:42 pm

You just KNOW someone will say "I can't believe NXT named him Babatunde Aiyegbusi"

rovert

Post by rovert » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:58 am

Bobby Roode is cancelling indie dates:
https://www.facebook.com/remixprowrestl ... 04981488:0

rovert

Post by rovert » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:09 am

Sami :-(

ODonnell

Post by ODonnell » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:53 am

rovert wrote:Bobby Roode is cancelling indie dates:
https://www.facebook.com/remixprowrestl ... 04981488:0

Isn't that TNA canceling it since he left the company? Article doesn't say Roode cancelled

The Insider on Reddit said that Patrick Clark was getting repackage as Kip Brady and would have some sort of political theme. Judging by the "make NXT great again" tag, seems to be happening

rovert

Post by rovert » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:56 am

No major stories come out of the show. The new announcer, Aliyah worked Bayley in well received singles match, Dylan Miley seems to a regular now and "No Way Jose" beat La Sombra:

rovert

Post by rovert » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:00 pm

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:17 pm

I haven't seen any of these guys' work but have heard nothing but great things about them. Looking forward to see what they do in NXT!

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:02 pm

rovert

Post by rovert » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:03 am

Like when you saw Bret Hart in WCW. Just feels wrong:

Nothing of any consequence happened at NXT Venice seemingly.

rovert

Post by rovert » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:04 am

The section entitled "Worst: Drift Away" is worth reading: http://uproxx.com/prowrestling/best-and ... 23-2016/2/
I’ve been trying to figure out why my enthusiasm for NXT has been waning this year, and I think I figured it out. They stopped showing their work.

The version of NXT most of us fell in love with was a unique, singular thing. It wasn’t quite WWE, it wasn’t quite the indies. It was somewhere in-between, taking the best parts of every world and combining them in a show that applied WWE talent and production values to independent pride, fellowship and passion. It reminded us that shows from one building in front of one crowd could be important. See also: Lucha Underground. More than anything, the show made sure to tell us who these people were and why they were doing what they were doing before they did it.

There’s still a lot of that on the show, don’t get me wrong, but there’s way too much happening we’re just supposed to trust them on. Take the opening match of this week’s show for example. Here’s Elias Samson. What’s his character? You can say he’s “a drifter,” but still, what does that mean? It’s so ill-defined that the announce team’s been making fun of it for months. He plays guitar, but not really, and he wanders, but not really, and he’s … crazy? Kind of? His character, as far as I can tell, is “boring wrestler with hobbies.” He’s facing Johnny Gargano. Removing what you know about Gargano from other promotions, what’s his character? What’s his WWE character? That he’s good at wrestling, but from somewhere else? What’s Ciampa’s character? He’s good at wrestling, but from somewhere else. What’s Apollo Crews’ character? He’s good at wrestling, but from somewhere else. And he wants to be a champion? What’s Austin Aries’ character? He’s good at wrestling, but from somewhere else.

It’s honestly causing NXT to feel like an indie supplementary show, like I’ve ordered a Best Of compilation from Highspots and I’m watching good matches without any context. I miss the character development, whether it was good or bad, as it extended beyond how good guys are at wrestling. That’s why I’m not a huge Ring of Honor fan. So much of ROH is just built around guys proving they’re the best, and the stupid fun of wrestling gets kinda shuffled over to the side. That’s why guys like Dalton Castle are so great, because they drag it back to the center.

Think about what made feuds like Bayley vs. Sasha, or even Breeze vs. Neville work. They were characters, with observable histories and interpersonal relationships. Bayley wanted to be the best wrestler, sure, but she also had this and this and this and this. Sasha had a huge inferiority complex we could justify with two years of material. Breeze was one kind of person, Neville was another. And all of that was done on the show, in the NXT universe, on its own merits. Neville was PAC, but we were never asked to like and keep liking him because we remember how cool PAC was. Does that make sense?

I just want these guys to become actual WWE characters. I don’t want to sleep through another Elias Samson match, watch him get pinned by a guy who has zero in-house character development, be asked to care, and then try to relate to a bored Apollo Crews standing off with a Joker-faced Samson. It doesn’t work. It can, and it should, and I have faith that it probably eventually will, but I’m gonna need to see it.

syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:59 pm

Elias Samson has more of a character than Neville did.
"If I’m Neville or Aries, I definitely give a shit about the take of TJ “Career Trajectory Vanilla Midget” Perkins regarding my burning desire for advancement and steady income." - supersonic

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:27 pm

syxxpakk wrote:Elias Samson has more of a character than Neville did.
I think the author romanticizes the level of character development from the undercard in NXT. Baron Corbin was a lone wolf...Bull Dempsey was...uh..Bull Dempsey. I don't think Samson is all that good, but in the position he's in, he's got no more/less character development. Saying Ciampa doesn't have a character is silly because he's not officially an NXT roster guy (even if he's certainly more than just a one off appearance guy).

My enthusiasm for NXT has fallen not because of characters, but the sense of urgency and knowing too far our where things are going. The latter can be avoided to an extent, but when WWE.com is trumpeting the arrivals of Aries and Nakamura, it becomes harder. But the former is clearly an issue, one which I hope they rectify going forward.

Between August and December, there were 3 Takeover specials and the Dusty Rhodes tournament. From December to Dallas, there will be 1. This can be rectified going forward by moving the December Takeover to January and the October one to November. Spreading out the specials more will make the weekly product matter more and avoid the lag we've had this year.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:16 pm

I'd make each Takeover going forward a piggyback off of the Big 5 or main roster international tour.

Hollaplaya

Post by Hollaplaya » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:23 pm

I'm thinking you won't see TMDK on TV right away, especially after reading the line in the article about how they may or may not be teaming up. They have a rep, but they don't have the same name recognition as other signees.