WWE NXT 2016

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
ScorpioCorp

Re: WWE NXT 2016

Post by ScorpioCorp » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:20 pm

suplexberry wrote:Genuine question: does anybody else feel like WWE signs up a ton of guys with very little proof of being great characters? Like I know WWE style has changed and I'm all for better matches and signing guys with in-ring ability, but the longevity is in promos and manipulating the audience. I mean, admittedly they picked up Nakamura and have done well to showcase Owens, who is a master of this, but I think they'd do really well with signing guys from the independent scene who actually have worked on their characters a lot, and excel at promos, and are decent in the ring.

I'm thinking of Ethan Page and Nathan Cruz primarily, both guys I've been watching thinking, "Wow, these guys would probably really work in WWE." even if neither put on MOTY type matches. WWE is always going to be more character-based, so while NXT is a different brand, you could also develop the future Miz at the PC, and a lot of indy workers have the makings of that, I just don't know if they're top priority when it's become all about this third brand, indy-for-the-masses type of promotion.
It's interesting that you say that, because the signees who show the best character work are the older statesman. Guys like Styles, Nakamura, Joe, Roode, Aries, Young & Kendrick. So, they definitely consider it. I don't think it is a big issue in NXT. There are some good characters in NXT like The Revival, Tye Dillenger, No Way Jose, Rich Swann etc.

rovert

Post by rovert » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:30 pm

That goes for a lot of stuff, suplexberry. I know young wrestlers "can't be told" sometimes but I don't understand why so few market themselves towards current WWE in terms of out of the ring activities. Why people don't go to acting or public speaking classes or have a podcast or a Youtube channel to cut promos on. Also why they don't match their conduct with what William Regal, Adam Pearce periodically tweet out as advice. Then not taking a step back before they publicly burying a wrestler or promotion and realising who up the chain WWE wise is friends with that wrestler or promotion. I wish some Wrestlers would be more business minded.

rovert

Post by rovert » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:04 pm

Kenneth Crawford (don't worry if you don't know him) is now @MontezFordWWE

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:44 am

Observer:
MaryKate Duignan Glidewell, who turns 32 in a few weeks, was signed this past week as the company is trying to stockpile as much talent as possible. She first wrestled in TNA when she was very green as the monster Rosie Lottalove, and then dropped more than 120 pounds and has been working the indies, mostly in Florida, as Rosie. She was a Team 3-D graduate. She actually started her career under the name Betsy Ruth, billed as the great granddaughter of Babe Ruth. She retired in 2012, citing injuries, but after losing all the weight, came back and was so different looking that few knew it was the same woman who had the run in TNA. She’s been a regular with the Shine promotion. She had a WWE tryout in the summer of 2015 but wasn’t signed at the time, but now WWE is getting a lot more aggressive in trying to stockpile talent

cbacon87

Post by cbacon87 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:54 pm

Main event was really good this week. Strong and Almas looked motivated and the crowd were really into Tye and Roode, it's not exactly a great list but it's easily got to be in the top 10 NXT TV matches of the year and they actually built it up a bit beforehand. Not sure who's idea the tower of doom spot was but yikes.

Padje

Post by Padje » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:07 pm

Tye's finisher is beautiful.

rovert

Post by rovert » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:22 pm

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:49 pm

cbacon87 wrote:Main event was really good this week. Strong and Almas looked motivated and the crowd were really into Tye and Roode, it's not exactly a great list but it's easily got to be in the top 10 NXT TV matches of the year and they actually built it up a bit beforehand. Not sure who's idea the tower of doom spot was but yikes.
I'm happy I saw this match, it was a well-worked thing of beauty. I like all four guys and hope they have more matches like this in 2017.

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:38 pm

That four way was top. Almost Takeover quality with everyone going balls to the wall. Shame the crowd is still awful.

Props to the pre-match video package playing BMTH hyping the match. Best one I have seen in a long time.

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:31 am

Super enjoyable match.

It's weird how WWE can be so stingy with its storytelling these days. I don't mean to take away from the talent of Tye, but the strongest thing he has going for him is that he actually has a long term story to him, even if it doesn't lead to some great height. He's a low-card babyface struggling to advance. It works. Give wrestlers a through-line to chew on and the fans will love it.

Grammarian

Post by Grammarian » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:43 am

supersonic wrote:Observer:
MaryKate Duignan Glidewell, who turns 32 in a few weeks, was signed this past week as the company is trying to stockpile as much talent as possible. She first wrestled in TNA when she was very green as the monster Rosie Lottalove, and then dropped more than 120 pounds and has been working the indies, mostly in Florida, as Rosie. She was a Team 3-D graduate. She actually started her career under the name Betsy Ruth, billed as the great granddaughter of Babe Ruth. She retired in 2012, citing injuries, but after losing all the weight, came back and was so different looking that few knew it was the same woman who had the run in TNA. She’s been a regular with the Shine promotion. She had a WWE tryout in the summer of 2015 but wasn’t signed at the time, but now WWE is getting a lot more aggressive in trying to stockpile talent
Can't help but notice Dave doesn't mention the name she's been using for the last couple of years in Evolve, Shine, etc.
twitter me @ItsGrammarian

Grammarian

Post by Grammarian » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:33 am

rovert wrote:
Earlier this year I saw Daria as a potential muscle for Mandy akin to Tamina for AJ Lee or Nia for Eva, but now that I've seen more of Daria, I think that's way too limiting. I think she's got a lot of potential. Plus, you don't want to see too many of the same type of acts.
twitter me @ItsGrammarian

pclancy1990

Post by pclancy1990 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:31 pm

Posting for the first time in forever to say that 4-way was awesome.

outlaw911

Post by outlaw911 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:41 pm

Well WWE is getting themselves some monster womens with them all ready having Victoria Gonzalez and Andrea

now let see how things if they sign Sylwia Reichel and Katya “Dominator” Kavaleva

achillesforever6

Post by achillesforever6 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:59 pm

Awww yeah that DIY and Tajiri/Tozawa match is going to be insane