WWE NXT 2016

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
Garuda

Re: WWE NXT 2016

Post by Garuda » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:59 am

GARUDA'S NXT RECAP

California Edition, 11/2/2016

I'm a sucker for the fresh, and a fool for format breaks. They cooked tonight's episode of NXT with its special sauce: experiments in production. And it gave a lot of flavor to what was a mixed bag of 2nd round Dusty Tag Classic matches. Plus, a new face joins the media team...

Charly Caruso?

- Tom and Corey throw to Charly as though she was an old friend that, of course, we'd remember. Always worth a chuckle when the WWE uses gaslighting as a storytelling tool.

- Also kind of strange for them to start with the Full Sail crowd, and then have the disembodied Tom and Corey to cut to an empty Dusty-styled Full Sail ring with this mystery woman within. All of this is to say I liked what they did, and the strange elements only intensified my enjoyment, if unintentionally.

- Love the concept: all Round 2 matches, some of which were filmed on the NXT California tour. Great! Also explains why they went so short live. But it's a win to have an episode with a clear topic, and a fun addition to see live NXT tour footage in a non-TakeOver setting. I've got no issue with Full Sail, but it can be claustrophobic sometimes.

Roderick Strong vs. Shane Thorne

MUST-SEE SEGMENT

- This San Jose crowd is WAY into Aries and Strong. Much less into TM61. It's not bad for people to be more into the heels than the faces in any given place, but it's not great for TM61 who could really use some crowd support going forward.

- In a tournament plagued with asteriks, we get a single's match to replace a tag match in a tag tournament. It's honestly fine, but the Classic has earned a facepalm this year from the sheer number of rebooked stopgaps that have needed to happen to keep the thing from falling apart, and that's before you factor in the low total heat of the proceedings.

- I wanted to front-load all of that to get to the most important point: this was a fun match. It felt like Shane and Roddy were determined to make up for the spoiled plans by slaying it in the ring, and it worked! Thorne was bumping for Roddy like he'd been shot, and gave a wild dropkick midmatch that lifted me out of my seat. Whole lotta fun.

- Interesting finish, too. I'm sure pinning Roddy in a single's match wasn't what they wanted to happen here, so they tried to protect both guys. Thorne got a visual pin while Aries took the ref, then got a roll-up to steal the match soon thereafter. Unorthodox, but it felt like a success. I think both men exited that right as rain.

- Watch again closely for Aries' ringside reaction to Strong's loss. Possibly my highlight of the night right there.

- Additionally we got a great promo from Aries, and a nice one from Regal that helped the strange single's choice go down a lot easier by invoking Dusty in the decision.

- Finally, I was shocked to hear "Si!" chants at the Tree Of Woe spot. I get it, but I sure didn't expect it.

DIY vs. The Revival

- Look... I didn't hate this, but I wasn't a big fan. Probably this would've gone down better in a tournament that has had so many things go wrong. But I'm a New Japan fan, and if they're good at one thing over there it's using clean wins to continue feuds instead of ruin them. So many times I've felt allergic to a clean finish when predicting a finish, only for New Japan to do it and make the feud way more interesting by just letting wins and losses happen.

- That doesn't mean it applies to every situation, but I really think DIY and The Revival should've had a straight match instead of a comedy forfeit angle. Hell, you don't even have to go the whole way with a clean finish - even half a match and a countout walkout by The Revival would've gone better for me.

- I respect protecting big matches, but this was just a heat death where a good match should've gone.

Cedric promo

- I'd love to see Almas rematch Cedric with his heel gimmick. I hope that's where they're going with this.

The Return?

- I can't really remember the spoilers at this point, so I can't remember who this is, in case it was obvious. I have a guess, but I imagine we'll see in the next two weeks.

Rich Swann & No Way Jose vs. The Authors of Pain

- Had another chuckle at a gaslighting line from Charly. She talks about how much fun Swann and Jose have been "as they've progressed through this tournament." They had one damned match, Charly. But I liked the oversell.

- Anyone who reads this knows I'm an AOP mark. And although they had a couple tepid showings recently, this reinvigorated my love for this team (Ellering's awful baby blue suit nonwithstanding). The problem with a lot of powerhouse big guy teams is that their offense tends to be narrow and gets stale quickly. It's the opposite with the Authors; I feel like they're showing off fresh, interesting new offense constantly. My favorite of this match was when one of them fashioned a submission hold out of a crucifix powerbomb transition.

- They're a treat just about every time, and they actually have MORE to show off when they're put in actual competative matches like tonight's. That's why I'd love to see the "undefeated jobber squashing" portion of their run to come to a close.

- And on the other side we've got Rich Swann and No Way Jose. Swann's greatness is a common fact, but it's worth restating how much fun Jose has been recently. Did anyone think he'd be as good as he is? The man's got nice depths in just about every part of the game. And he mixes some power spots into his arsenal to sell himself as a true heavyweight from time to time.

- This was an easy Match of the Night for me. All four men busted their asses to put on a high-energy showcase. The crazy thing is that this is only the 2nd team, only behind TM61, to have a competative back-and-forth match with the Authors since their debut. They succeed every time they're given more to chew on, and I'm looking forward to bigger bites in the future. This, certainly, is a MUST-SEE SEGMENT.

T.J. Perkins & Kota Ibushi vs. SaniTY

- They didn't announce TJP as the Cruiserweight champion despite taping this before he lost. He didn't have his belt, but he didn't have it for his Round 1 match either- and he WAS champion then. I guess I'm just curious if they did some sly audio editing in post, or if they telegraphed his title loss in advance and no one noticed.

- Either way, always happy to see him in the ring. But although it led to some CWC-style fare in ROund 1, this was a much pudgier match.

- Jury's out on Wolfe and Fulton. I need to see more. But I'll say one thing about this SaniTY deal: I totally agree with people who said it felt forced on their debut. More like an act then a lived-in thing. Their issue is that they've got a muddled concept. They're dressed like looters but act like madmen. But the only way they act like mad men is by chewing on things. WTF is that? Nikki was doing it last week and now we got both Fulton and Wolfe doing rope-chewing spots during this match.

- That may seem like a nitpick, but it's not. They're determined to make them "mysterious," but in doing so they've neglected to give them any character detail for the audience to invest in. Just chewing. So it's hard not to focus on the only personality element presented, especially when it's so silly. It's an empty tease when you keep everything interesting hidden behind the curtain.

- The two teams really didn't click here. Hard to say whether it was just a misfire of chemistry, or if Fulton/Wolfe couldn't yet step up. But despite some exciting sequences from Ibushi and TJP this match never really crawled out of 1st gear. A second interference spot of the night sealed the match, adding yet another asterisk to the tournament. Groan.

- Not terrible, but a pretty joyless match.

Conclusion

- The episode tried out a different layout, and nailed two of its four matches (or three and an angle). I would've liked to see a different match in the main event, and I'd continue to like to see a smaller percentage of this tournament go to schmozzy angles and finishes. But altogether I really enjoyed the episode, and it's given me a renewed hope that the coming weeks and Dusty Classic can still crescendo into a fun TakeOver.

MUST-SEE SEGMENTS: Thorne vs. Strong, and Jose/Swann vs. AOP.

rovert

Post by rovert » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:33 am

Trying to get confirmation on what were the pre-injury plans for the Dusty. Seemingly Roddy & Aries were going to face Itami & Ibushi.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:12 am

Observer:
Right now the plan is for the NXT women's tournament, which will be similar to the cruiserweight classic with an international field and a weekly WWE network show to be taped in either January or March. The funny thing is there are women who have been contacted that don't work for WWE for the tournament, and some have been told January and some have been told March regarding being available. But several women have been contacted and told they are in, and dates to be available. It could also be like the cruiserweight tournament where they tape over a series of months, but the talent wasn't told that and some talent contacted have dates on overseas tours they have to get rearranged if they are to be in the tournament.

Speaking of women, it now looks like Kairi Hojo is coming with Io Shirai. Stardom knew last week that Shirai was leaving and Hojo was on the verge, and was pushing for Hojo to stay noting she'd be their top star. Right now both are scheduled to stay with Stardom through about April of next year. Shirai will have her 10th anniversary big show on 3/20 at Korakuen Hall and that will be her last major event. Hojo will have a homecoming show in April and then also probably be leaving, although Stardom is trying to convince her to stay because losing one won't be so bad but losing both will be devastating, in particular because they have nobody at their level to elevate to take their places. The promotions' big three of late have been those two and Mayu Iwatani.

Akira Tozawa will be moving next this week as he finishes with Dragon Gate on their 11/3 show in Osaka and will start in a few weeks. Like the other cruiserweights, the idea is to work Raw TV's and NXT on the road

rovert

Post by rovert » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:15 am

Would be nice if you added your own thoughts, supersonic. It is a discussion forum.

NutCrack

Post by NutCrack » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:05 pm

rovert wrote:Would be nice if you added your own thoughts, supersonic. It is a discussion forum.
Yes, and he entitled to share what he wants if it pertains to the topic. For somebody who spends most of his shameful little non existent life on boards - getting kicked off boards for being a nobber - resigning up to boards on multiple accounts; I would have thought you'd know this? Now please stop derailing the thread. Thanks.

rovert

Post by rovert » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:35 pm

NutCrack wrote:
rovert wrote:Would be nice if you added your own thoughts, supersonic. It is a discussion forum.
Yes, and he entitled to share what he wants if it pertains to the topic. For somebody who spends most of his shameful little non existent life on boards - getting kicked off boards for being a nobber - resigning up to boards on multiple accounts; I would have thought you'd know this? Now please stop derailing the thread. Thanks.
Literally all you do is troll here.

NutCrack

Post by NutCrack » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:36 pm

Nope.

But your lack of self awareness - YOU making such a claim - is hilarious, you little sack of worthless shit.

rovert

Post by rovert » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:54 pm

NutCrack wrote:Nope.

But your lack of self awareness - YOU making such a claim - is hilarious, you little sack of worthless shit.
This has nothing to do with NXT and your are retreading the same old material. How tired is playing the "lack of self awareness" card on a message board? Again literally all you do is troll here & here and there make a one or two line bog basic post that is on topic.

NutCrack

Post by NutCrack » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:57 pm

Calm down.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:30 pm

FOE Is your friend. Click the user name, "add FOE". Use it. Thanks.

syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:45 pm

My problem in life. NXT is basically my favorite thing to watch. So much good talent goes through. Then they move up and are used terribly.
"If I’m Neville or Aries, I definitely give a shit about the take of TJ “Career Trajectory Vanilla Midget” Perkins regarding my burning desire for advancement and steady income." - supersonic

packerman120

Post by packerman120 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:38 pm

Shirai and Hojo coming in would be big for NXT's women's divsion. It clearly needs an injection of fresh talent, and those two would certainly help.

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:48 pm

Will the women's tourney be similar to the CWC in the sense that the women will be given long matches and allowed to be a little more adventurous in the ring?

WWE often seems to hamstring these indy folks.

rovert

Post by rovert » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:55 am

The jury is very much out for me but Gabe is more right than wrong in his predictions:

powerfulmgp

Post by powerfulmgp » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:08 am

Ferrante207 wrote:Will the women's tourney be similar to the CWC in the sense that the women will be given long matches and allowed to be a little more adventurous in the ring?

WWE often seems to hamstring these indy folks.
Is there even going to be more than two or three women in the tournament capable of that?