WWE NXT 2016

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
rovert

Re: WWE NXT 2016

Post by rovert » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:23 am

Daria has done pretty well for herself. Normally your first year is were you just find your feet and acclimate. But Daria has reached as far as the NXT touring shows. Also her and Mandy Rose is my favourite Wrestling couple that isn't a couple.

Also this:

rovert

Post by rovert » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:22 pm

Discounting all the high profile part times and the vacationing Mandy Rose Buddy Murphy is the most noteworthy absentee.

Maybe he is injured.

rovert

Post by rovert » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:35 pm

A Polish strongwoman

rovert

Post by rovert » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:55 am

RobViper13

Post by RobViper13 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:34 pm

And there's your daily obscure women who barely exist in pro wrestling update... from a guy, who if you dare mention is an expert on obscure women who barely exist in pro wrestling, tends to lose his ever-loving mind.

Off to work now, hoping the wrestling landscape isn't changed forever while I'm underground on the train.
"Whoa is me" - BuzzSawyer

rovert

Post by rovert » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:23 pm

Isn't my site. Had not heard of her until this. You are beyond high strung. You conflating me and Casey Micheal together is one of the oddest things you continue to do.

rovert

Post by rovert » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:12 pm

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:41 pm

Was seeing some stuff about some questionable tweets from Mandy Rose, but couldn't find anything. You folks know what I'm talking about?

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:43 pm

I just found the new NXT already uploaded in full to the Network with no intro. Weird. Watching, though.

rovert

Post by rovert » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:46 pm

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:52 am

GARUDA'S NXT RECAP

Time Traveler's Edition, 10/26/2016

It's finally happened - my serial NXT viewing has worn a hole in the fabric of the WWE Network. In advance of the episode, I wanted to check out a previous episode to research a talking point to discuss in tonight's recap. Instead I stumbled well and deep into some kind of trans-dimensional WrestleZone, and when all was said and done it had spat me out, carelessly, one half hour into the future. Chilling.

It's certainly the only reasonable explanation for discovering the full NXT episode in the library a half hour before it was meant to air live. Please send your love and support as I learn to cope as a relentlessly backwards man from one half hour in the past just trying to make it in this kooky new reality.

As for the episode itself? Thoroughly average, but anchored by two outstanding segments. We begin with the mediocrity.

DIY vs. Hoho Lun & Tian Bing

- Maybe mediocre is harsh, but I won't call it unfair. Ciampa & Gargano come out to a surprisingly subdued crowd reaction, and two Chinese clowns soon followed.

- Now THAT'S too harsh, at least for Tian Bing (the former Wang Bin). Hoho Lun, however, is a trotting, smiling trainwreck. He's a geek. If I didn't know better, and I don't, I'd guess that Hoho Lun is only getting booked because Shane McMahon owed some Chinese executive a favor back when he was running YOD, and now we all have to watch that guy's lame son fail to bump right for arm drags.

- I watched Tian Bing with interest; he got signed with some fanfare and diplomatic upside. I can imagine a big pressure to push him if he had anything to offer. But that question remains on the table, because he did very little in the match. What he did do he did adequately and unremarkably. Outside of one particularly intense stare to Ciampa near the start, Bing gave us nothing that had a pulse. As ever, I don't evaluate an NXT star based on one match - much less their debut - but you'll forgive me if I don't proceed with anticipation.

- Probably too many words for what was a short, kind of shitty match. Better luck in Round Two.

Promos!

- Perkins and Ibushi self-promote. It works.

- Joe's promo has a lot more adrenaline to it. He tells the interviewer that he has hurt Nakamura mentally and physically, and is ready to prey on him in Toronto. It's a great story, but that element feels dampened on Nakamura's end when he swaggers around all the same, if slightly more pissed off. And if the counter-argument is that Joe's a heel - and is just bullshitting - then all we have are weeks of hot air running out the clock before TakeOver.

Aaliyah vs. Billie Kay

- I'm always looking for ways to start liking Billie Kay, and I'm happy to report that her theme's growing on me a little bit. Hopefully next time I'll like her shitty kicks, too.

- Aaliyah gets the win, rolled up as it is, and I'm chuffed. Have her just replace this Liv/Kay thing entirely. Toss Peyton in there. THAT'S a feud. But Billie stunk, and I don't like dumb babyfaces. Liv is one person, and she ran out to fight Billie w/ Peyton. And she got beat up. I guess it'd be worse if she won, but I'm just so over this angle.

- Having said all that, I hope this is building to a Aaliyah & Liv vs. Billie & Peyton tag match. That would be a very welcome oasis in this desert of a program.

Noah Potjes vs. Tye Dillinger

- An unremarkable match, and a serviceable beatdown to end the segment.

- Really the only reason I'm bringing any of this up at all is because there's a moment on commentary where Graves is heeling it up for Roode and stops JUST short of making a Donald Trump reference:

"...because Roode knows he has a mission here in NXT, TO MAKE NXT... propelled to the next level."

- I howled. If only he went all the way with that one he probably only would've gotten Roode over more as a heel.

TM61 Promo

- They were good on the stick; enough to make me wonder why it doesn't happen more often. I'd love if it did. And the entire thing reignites optimism in my pick for them to win the whole shebang. I am keeping hope alive, dammit.

Thea Trinidad vs. Asuka

MUST-SEE SEGMENT

- Holy shit those better be breakaway hoop earrings, otherwise Trinidad's earlobes have a death wish.

- I fucking loved this squash. Asuka makes every match count because she's motivated to inject personality into each one. And although there's been no build to a match (up to this point), there has been a build: Asuka's getting increasingly bored and arrogant.

- It's not a heel turn, but with Thea she maxes out her mocking. Asuka dances to the ring just like she did when she was blowing off Bayley at Brooklyn. After every spot she either gets in Thea's face or poses or taunts. She lets Thea get a bunch of free hits in and just Hulk's up. It's great fun, and it continues a story: Asuka's a competitor, and she's getting cruel in her boredom.

- More than anything it's just a great squash with a lot of personality. Asuka has really grown into her NXT skin.

- The Mickie James reveal works for me a lot more in the present tense than when I read the spoilers, which is typically the case. To me, Mickie James means very little. I was never all that big a fan of hers. But she's got a great reaction live and online I've seen way more interest than I could have ever expected. Fantastic! I'm happy that people are way more symbolically invested in James than me, and it's hyping me up for the match.

Authors of Pain promo

- I thought this was pretty good. Certainly the most I've seen out of Ellering this run. My only gripe is that I think this story fixation on Paul being the "man with a plan" is silly. They're gigantic monsters and they're going to beat the shit out of anyone. If some overarching scheme actually emerges, though, I'll be doing backflips from pure joy.

Lince Dorado & Mustafa Ali vs. Kota Ibushi & T.J. Perkins

MUST-SEE SEGMENT

- This match really did it for me. I'm not surprised how fun the match was, but I was surprised how electric it felt. Kota and TJ's entrances, in particular, felt like big moments. And as a shared-universe junkie, I was pleased to see them pluh Perkin's HIAC match this Sunday. Weird to pop for an ad, but they didn't used to like to draw attention that NXT existed within another wrestling reality, and I enjoy those small connections.

- I'm not a play-by-play kind of recapper, but the match really delivered. Kota hitting that double Pele kick was my highlight. It was just four talented men really going to town. And maybe it felt extra-special for being in the particular CWC match style that I've been missing in their RAW presentations.

- And although Kota's his own man, and Lince and Perkins are spoken for, I hold out hope to see Mustafa Ali in NXT. The springboard counter he used to break Kota's grip was outstanding, and he hung with the other three in a way that outshone how he's been positioned up to this match. Pleas stay!

Conclusion

- The main event and Asuka squash match stood out huge in an otherwise bland episode of NXT. If you're skimming, make sure you hit those. Other then that I'd suggest the TM61 and Authors of Pain promos.

-Finally, R.I.P. future Mandy Rose's push? If you're a white supermodel-type wearing cornrows, maybe don't pointlessly go after some black woman's hair on social media. I hope they start teaching some social media courses at the Center, because people aren't getting the message.

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:09 am

One more thing. And I've probably focused too much on the negative tonight, especially since I ultimately enjoyed the episode, but the ring announcer was bad in a way that was interesting to pay close attention to. If you haven't watched yet keep an ear on her - particularly TJ Perkins' entrance. Yikes.

Hey, ring announcers got to develop too.

RobViper13

Post by RobViper13 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:46 am

The tag main event was good and better than any of the cruiserweight stuff on the main roster so far. There really is something to keeping these guys here or on their own show. What happened at the end though? That was a strangely poor edit for a company that is usually far more professional. I'm guessing a blown spot and the guys didn't know enough to just do it again from the same position so it could look seamless in editing like most WWE guys are told.
"Whoa is me" - BuzzSawyer

rovert

Post by rovert » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:12 am

Both Io Shirai and Kairi Hojo have gotten offers to start in WWE in 2017 in the last week or two per the Observer.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:22 am

Observer:
Right now there are no plans for bringing Nakamura to the main roster. At least for now, he’s pegged to be the flagship star of the NXT brand.
The 12/8 NXT show in Melbourne, Australia is being taped for the WWE Network. Exactly what form it will air in is not yet determined.