WWE NXT 2016

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
monster mafia

Re: WWE NXT 2016

Post by monster mafia » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:20 pm

the problem is when they jump to the main roster...look apollo and american alpha.

good luck to all 3.. tommy end can be a fucking star.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:43 pm

monster mafia wrote:the problem is when they jump to the main roster...look apollo and american alpha.

Apollo was someone who wasn't going to be a top guy in NXT, so they made the decision to give him a run on the main roster and maximize what they could get out of him. Thus far, I'd say there's not much there.

AA is clearly being held off until they can put the tag titles on them in a big way. I think Slater catching on slowed that down, but you could easily put their title win off until Rumble or Mania.

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:10 pm

mlev76 wrote:
monster mafia wrote:the problem is when they jump to the main roster...look apollo and american alpha.

Apollo was someone who wasn't going to be a top guy in NXT, so they made the decision to give him a run on the main roster and maximize what they could get out of him. Thus far, I'd say there's not much there.

AA is clearly being held off until they can put the tag titles on them in a big way. I think Slater catching on slowed that down, but you could easily put their title win off until Rumble or Mania.

i hope you right.

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:14 pm

Excited for Roddy and Tommy End. As a figure collector, I hope we get a mattel at some point.

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:31 am

Tonight's episode was pretty solid.

NWJ/Swann vs Gulak Nese was BADASS. Great match, loved it!
Roode vs Maluta was ok. Nothing overwhelming, love the build between Tye and him though!
Aries/RODDY F'N STRONG!!! vs Dozovic/Knight was solid. The team of D&K was so much better than expected! Was kinda bummed with Roddy's entrance, they could have really had more of a build between his and Aries theme to build tension, but still so cool to see Roddy in NXT!
Nikki Cross vs Kamella was meh. I dig Nikki's character, but I think shes overdoing it a bit too much with the "crazy".
Nakamura/Patrick Clark segment was hilarious. So random.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:56 am

Observer:
Early reaction to Strong is that they love him. That doesn’t always mean a major push, but it does mean they were impressed. He is one of the best workers in the business and his work translated into New Japan which is a different and usually tougher standard, definitely tougher than NXT although getting main roster over in WWE is the hardest of anything because of the booking and political land mines

Hideo Itami is looking right now like he’ll be out of action for about two months from the neck injury when Riddick Moss dropped him on his head with a twisting powerslam off the ropes. That’s good news because with surgery he’d be looking at another six plus months off

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:07 am

GARUDA'S NXT RECAP

Sick As Fuck Edition, 10/19/2016

"We are gathered here today to get to this thing called NXT TakeOver: Toronto." - The Patrick Clark Experience

I guess we are, Patrick. Well said. He's right! We're not building to this TakeOver, nor are we crescendoing to a high story watermark or heating up young new stars. We are getting to this thing.

Maybe it's because I am, indeed, Sick As Fuck, but this week's episode felt like driving down a gorgeous road through two inches of mud. I loved a lot of what I saw on the way, but I'm neither into this journey nor its destination. The Itami/Aries program is off, the Liv/Kay program continues to underdeliver, and the Nakamura/Joe program can't help but feel like a holding pattern program to me.

Maybe it's been more important then I've expected for NXT to have some exciting up-and-coming talent featured heavily. NXT is at its best when it does feel like developmental in that someone fresh is climbing their way to supremacy. As it stands there's too many developmental people who don't excite, and then too many free-agent types up top in an endless Floridian holding pattern. Something's stale in this promotion, and it's starting to stink.

On the developmental side, it almost feels like they felt like it was time to shit or get off the pot with a ton of their wheel-spinning Performance Center guys and chose to shit. And now that shit's getting flushed down to Full Sail.

Then again, maybe I'm just sick and grumpy. That's all the editorializing I'll do; now onto some quick hits. You'll notice a diminished length to these corresponding to my diminished stamina.

Rich Swann & No Way Jose vs. Drew Gulak & Tony Nese

- It took until the entrances for it to sink in how stacked a tag match this is. Jose has overdelivered, and I'm a huge fan of each of the other men.

- Especially Gulak, who's looking surprisingly sharp in his dress shirt and unsurprisingly well-spoken in his insert promo.

- A fun match, but too short. Nese might have gotten the most, but it was too cramped a time for anyone to really spread their wings. Would've loved it in the main event slot.

Team Aries vs. Otis & Tucker

- My mind shattered at this entrance. Not only did they give the East Euro sounding dude the hayseed name "Otis," but they gave the duo theme music that MUST have had Linkin Park's lawyer reaching for the phone. Alone, these elements are stupid. Together, the absurdity got me into it.

- I'll skip the Font Rant, but three men out of these four debuted in this match and all were treated once more to random word processor fonts over PowerPoint gradients. These are not star-making production elements. Although while we're on it, really drink in Patrick Clark's Titantron at the end of the episode - they gave the worst, most boring Titan to an ultra-flamboyant gimmicked wrestler.

- This match sort of reminded me of last week's TM61 vs. Tino/Moss match. Like that match, this one tried to get everyone over at the same time, and in doing so underserved them all. In fact, I'd argue that Tucker & Otis came off way better then Roderick Strong. I thought they really showed off something interesting, while Roddy didn't make all that much of a splash in his debut match.

- With both Roderick and TM61 I feel like they should've faced opponents that they didn't have to worry about making look good. But since Tino and Tucker & Otis needed a rub, the former talent didn't get theirs in the best way. Or maybe I"m a hypocrite for complaining about two matches where the caste system bled a bit, and the performance guys actually got heat over the free agents for once.

Liv/Kay/Royce Segment

- OK, maybe it'll change when I'm sunnier next week, but I'm officially sick of this program. MY charity is expended. Did you SEE that "big boot" Kay gave to Liv? I've seen kids simulate more convincing wrestling kicks then her, and with more flexibility.

- But there's more. Liv's promo only went two sentences before getting interrupted and it still sucked. Annoying to hear and blisteringly generic.

- And seriously, in our "Post-Divas" world we're still going right back to a heel duo of women who talk and act like exaggerated high school mean girls? We JUST did Emma and Brooke. We're ALWAYS doing this angle. Please find a new schtick for heel women.

Sean Maluta vs. Bobby Roode

- All I've got to say about this whole chunk is that I really liked Tye's fiery brawling. This feud has to carry more weight with Itami/Aries off the card, so I'm glad to see Tye stepping up. Wooden offense may be his greatest weakness.

Almas promo

- Super pointless. Maybe I'm talking out of my ass, but have him rant and rave and do subtitles instead of the interpreter. Doing it with the interpreter gives it a pace and an energy that totally clashes with the stuff he's going for.

Nikki Cross vs. Danielle Kamela

- This might've been the killshot to my enthusiasm for this episode, truth be told. She has GOT to tone down this dumb feral act she's got going, because her biting her hand, slapping her face, hitting a move and pinning Kamela had me searching for the prank show camera's in my own apartment.

- That gimmick is such a reach, so forced, and so lame. And the crowd is absolutely dead for it. I had, and still have, my hopes way up for Nikki's NXT run. But all the talent in the world can't save you from suffocating it with dumb antics. Watch Kenny Omega try to penetrate Taguchi with a broom on 2015 NJPW junior matches and tell me otherwise.

Nakamura Speaks

- Can't complain about this segment, really. Nakamura was great, and he's got a way with his English promos that lands big. I popped for "Come get it."

- As for Patrick Clark, I could NOT figure out what was a joke and what was a mistake with him. And I loved it. I loved him coming out and whispering: "NXT" in a Prince voice, which was too quiet for anyone to hear at all, and then just kind of giving up that voice and going to his normal speaking voice with a slightly affected delivery.

- Upon review, I guess he WAS leading to a put-down by saying that Joe and Nakamura had never fought before. But at the time it sounded like he just immediately screwed up, apologized, and moved on.

- I loved Nakamura killing him, but again, I don't think it's great optics to constantly portray - now in two out of three divisions - that the Performance Center wrestlers are complete zeroes in comparison to the free agents.

I wrote an extremely long conclusion about what I think NXT's missing right now and deleted it. This is quite enough text as is; maybe I'll save that speech for another day. Hopefully the take stays hot, but until then - thanks for reading. I'm going to go sleep for a year.

achillesforever6

Post by achillesforever6 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:14 am

I actually thought this week was pretty solid, but then again I don't ask much for my wrestling shows to entertain me. I thought the matches did what they were supposed to do; Otis and Tucker look like a pretty good team and even if Liv is not that good I'm glad that they are doing other women feuds that don't involve Asuka squashing someone in 30 seconds. Wish Roddy got to do more and was more over, but I guess Full Sail already knew he was debuting and were disappointed they didn't get swerved. Makes me wish these shows were live because the crowds would probably be way hotter than they are.

gpusa

Post by gpusa » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:57 pm

I thought it was a fun show. Roddy's debut underwhelmed a bit just because he was against those two giants. Patrick Clark's weird Prince cosplay is hilarious to me and was a good way to get Nakamura a big moment without him and Joe fighting again.

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:45 pm

Anyone else want to see more of that Hoss tag team that worked Aeries and Strong?

maggot

Post by maggot » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:34 pm

I don't get why WWE are always so reverential to the indies. Putting Aries with Strong is a move to please fans of 2005 Ring of Honor. Why is the biggest wrestling company in the world trying to pop the "smart fans" with this team, I don't get it.

Their opponents are SUPER fun though and I can't wait to see more of them. The Authors of Pain's clinical brutality has forced the booking team to give the other bulldozer tag team something a bit fresher.

Nikki Cross, although a bit over the top, is showing how versatile she is as a performer. You can see via interviews and behind the scenes glimpses that she's actually very warm and funny in person, so there's that side of her personality to use when she becomes a face. She can also do this feral character, along with her braggadocios Best in the Galaxy schtick.

Patrick Clark's gimmick makes me uncomfortable because it's a little bit too Gay Panic.

Rottenrocker

Post by Rottenrocker » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:28 pm

Of course they are since that's what NXT is all about. Getting the "smart fans" money instead of actual development of future stars. :roll:

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:17 am

Dave's comments about the need to tape 11/9 and 11/16 shows outside of Full Sail is making me think there's at least an outside chance they may run the MSG show as a live show to test out the waters of running NXT live on the Network. The Wednesday day always seemed odd to me and given the close proximity to WWE headquarters as well as their familiarity with the building, I can't help but think it's at least a possibility.

rovert

Post by rovert » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:41 am

Also Macey Estrella made her in ring debut tonight in an all female battle royal at NXT Lakeland. She does a vintage pin up girl gimmick.

Meltzer in the Observer said that Itami will be out for two months while Tough Enough Josh is out with a severe concussion unfortunately and has been so for months.
Last edited by rovert on Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

rovert

Post by rovert » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:12 am

Brennan Williams: