WWE NXT 2016

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
mlev76

Re: WWE NXT 2016

Post by mlev76 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:14 pm

rovert wrote:
mlev76 wrote:
rovert wrote:A class of 18 people start at NXT next month.
Do they have a max of how many people can be there at once? And given how few people seem to be moving up/leaving, are they getting close to the max?
About a 100 maximum. Mike Quackenbush said he was told there was around 60 people there at the moment.

There's a "secret" tryout all next week. Believed to be Cruiserweight show related. They never stop recruiting.
I'm sure. I was actually wondering more about cuts than recruits.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:44 am

Absolutely loved Joe v. Zayn 2/3 Falls. Another ****+ match.

NXT is on a hot streak.

ThommyGunn

Post by ThommyGunn » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:37 am

Very disappointed by the 2 out of 3 falls match. I've actually been very disappointed by all of the Joe v. Sami stuff. Last weeks main event was much better imo. I thought this match had too many countout teasers and not enough fire. Thought it was plodding from the word go.

rovert

Post by rovert » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:50 am

Will miss all the contract signings and lack of a midcard.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:07 am

ThommyGunn wrote:Very disappointed by the 2 out of 3 falls match. I've actually been very disappointed by all of the Joe v. Sami stuff. Last weeks main event was much better imo. I thought this match had too many countout teasers and not enough fire. Thought it was plodding from the word go.
Its a WWE match that had to go 45 minutes to fill an entire show. It had some downtime, but for once a WWE multi-fall match didn't rush any of the falls. There was a bit of a prolonged Joe beatdown, but thats ok, because you needed to get to the end game with Sami finally succumbing. Thought the Joe tapout was well acted, too. Clearly tried to escape for a period, realized he couldn't, and smartly tapped. First fall took a while to develop, just like a regular match...I really appreciated it.

This wasn't a sprint, it was a marathon that told a good in-ring story. When one of those characters is never say die an the ultimate finale is that they have to die...that is a story that you need to develop slowly. If you want to get someone over strong like they do Joe, they can't have the Zayn slip on a banana peel on his way. I just felt this was good, strong booking with a good story being told in the ring.

Plus, it was out of the WWE wheelhouse...so...it was refreshing.

themib

Post by themib » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:23 pm

Although it was blatant as hell that they were going broadway (save the Regal deal at the beginning), they paced the match really well, and really put over Joe as a killer, despite him tapping for Zayn's fall (though they covered it by saying he was tapping to preserve energy for the third fall).

Interesting detail despite the fact the match was taped at the end of January - they linked the match in with the Columbus/Cleveland tour last weekend, and said Zayn then went to Chicago for RAW whilst Joe had the day off, and how that could play a factor in the finish. They painted it like Zayn's drive to get at Kevin Owens cost him against Joe.

I had two favourite parts of the match - Zayn struggling to hit the Blue Thunder Bomb, yanking Joe back thinking he could hit it, only for Joe to use his weight against him, and then later in the match Zayn finally hitting it; and then the end with Joe ducking the Helluva Kick, locking on the Coquina Clutch, readjusting to make it near impossible for Zayn to make the ropes, and then Zayn fading to red and purple and showing him near dead on the finish. Amazing piece of work.

ThommyGunn

Post by ThommyGunn » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:06 pm

BoxingRobes wrote:
ThommyGunn wrote:Very disappointed by the 2 out of 3 falls match. I've actually been very disappointed by all of the Joe v. Sami stuff. Last weeks main event was much better imo. I thought this match had too many countout teasers and not enough fire. Thought it was plodding from the word go.
Its a WWE match that had to go 45 minutes to fill an entire show. It had some downtime, but for once a WWE multi-fall match didn't rush any of the falls. There was a bit of a prolonged Joe beatdown, but thats ok, because you needed to get to the end game with Sami finally succumbing. Thought the Joe tapout was well acted, too. Clearly tried to escape for a period, realized he couldn't, and smartly tapped. First fall took a while to develop, just like a regular match...I really appreciated it.

This wasn't a sprint, it was a marathon that told a good in-ring story. When one of those characters is never say die an the ultimate finale is that they have to die...that is a story that you need to develop slowly. If you want to get someone over strong like they do Joe, they can't have the Zayn slip on a banana peel on his way. I just felt this was good, strong booking with a good story being told in the ring.

You have a good way of spinning it. I was still hoping for more from these two legends, but looking at it your way I think it accomplished what it set out to do. Good analysis.

phenom951

Post by phenom951 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:58 pm

ThommyGunn wrote:
BoxingRobes wrote:

You have a good way of spinning it. I was still hoping for more from these two legends, but looking at it your way I think it accomplished what it set out to do. Good analysis.
Legends? Wha?

phenom951

Post by phenom951 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:01 pm

I'm behind on two or three weeks of NXT and i don't know why it's usually always a good show with plenty of people I like but there just isn't anything that screams must-see from an overall perspective. Anyone else feeling this way? I think it's due to the fact that we have known the Takeover card or weeks now (WWE themselves spoiled it) so it's hard to invest when you already know where they're going.

rovert

Post by rovert » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:33 pm

https://twitter.com/enuhito_eng/status/ ... 3441182720

Big shock

Will be interesting to see if they debut pretty much immediately on TV or will they be carrying boomerangs to the ring on the NXT Florida loop as foreign heels.

themib

Post by themib » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:47 pm

rovert wrote:https://twitter.com/enuhito_eng/status/ ... 3441182720

Big shock

Will be interesting to see if they debut pretty much immediately on TV or will they be carrying boomerangs to the ring on the NXT Florida loop as foreign heels.
Love interests for Billie and Peyton, natch.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:52 pm

phenom951 wrote:I'm behind on two or three weeks of NXT and i don't know why it's usually always a good show with plenty of people I like but there just isn't anything that screams must-see from an overall perspective. Anyone else feeling this way? I think it's due to the fact that we have known the Takeover card or weeks now (WWE themselves spoiled it) so it's hard to invest when you already know where they're going.
Knowing the Takeover card so far out and having such a long time to get there has really zapped a bit of my enjoyment of the shows. I really think they need to figure out a better schedule because going nearly four months between Takeover shows really did affect the flow of things.

I think the main events have generally been very good, not great, so if you want to try to catch up, just watch those.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:21 pm

themib wrote:Although it was blatant as hell that they were going broadway (save the Regal deal at the beginning), they paced the match really well, and really put over Joe as a killer, despite him tapping for Zayn's fall (though they covered it by saying he was tapping to preserve energy for the third fall).

Interesting detail despite the fact the match was taped at the end of January - they linked the match in with the Columbus/Cleveland tour last weekend, and said Zayn then went to Chicago for RAW whilst Joe had the day off, and how that could play a factor in the finish. They painted it like Zayn's drive to get at Kevin Owens cost him against Joe.

I had two favourite parts of the match - Zayn struggling to hit the Blue Thunder Bomb, yanking Joe back thinking he could hit it, only for Joe to use his weight against him, and then later in the match Zayn finally hitting it; and then the end with Joe ducking the Helluva Kick, locking on the Coquina Clutch, readjusting to make it near impossible for Zayn to make the ropes, and then Zayn fading to red and purple and showing him near dead on the finish. Amazing piece of work.
While we all knew it was obvious, especially after maybe 10 minutes with no fall...loved how commentary kept promising we were seeing Asuka this week. Every five minutes or so, the promises were flyin.

sternness

Post by sternness » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:33 pm

BoxingRobes wrote:
themib wrote:Although it was blatant as hell that they were going broadway (save the Regal deal at the beginning), they paced the match really well, and really put over Joe as a killer, despite him tapping for Zayn's fall (though they covered it by saying he was tapping to preserve energy for the third fall).

While we all knew it was obvious, especially after maybe 10 minutes with no fall...loved how commentary kept promising we were seeing Asuka this week. Every five minutes or so, the promises were flyin.
That's an old time NWA/WCW thing, 'we have reserve matches in place'~!

That said, I didn't love Joe/Zayn but it had its moments. In terms of the two really long matches I watched last night, Lee/Wilkins from CWF felt really short and that match felt like it dragged really hard at points.

themib

Post by themib » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:30 pm

What would have put commentary over the top is if every ten minutes, Phillips said that a match was dropped - Ciampa after 10, Asuka after 20, Bayley after 30, and AA/Vauds near the end of the match.