Seth Rollins injured - Survivor Series Title Tournament!

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
ConCon

Re: Seth Rollins injured - Survivor Series Title Tournament!

Post by ConCon » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:32 am

I feel like Roman's a lock to win the tournament, but the question is how it goes down. I'm betting that he either perseveres and gets into the final as a face and gets the win over a heel, ending the night looking like a warrior, or we get the Deadly Game ending where the authority fuck over Ambrose and he gets embraced as the new golden boy.

Roman winning this as a face is probably the better idea. It's perfect opportunity to put on him while most of the other main-eventers are injured or pre-disposed, and there's a chance that he might look legitimately good as tournaments tend to do pretty well by babyfaces. Plus it'll make more sense for a Sheamus cash in if he wins that way (Even if that's a full-on darkest timeline feud). I don't know if he's leaving the ppv still holding the belt, but I feel pretty good about saying he's definitely touching that belt before the night's over

abrasiveobelisksa

Post by abrasiveobelisksa » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:17 am

Reigns over Undertaker (yearning to win the world title on his 25th anniversary) cleanly, shakes his hand and then beats the unholy hell out of Undertaker with the title and spears to effectively turn heel with a major statement is how it should end in my books. Takes on Sheamus and Barrett as lackeys for protection.

My semis would be Reigns mauling Ziggler and Undertaker over Ambrose, for the record.

BlizzardAcolyte

Post by BlizzardAcolyte » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:16 am

Cool to see that we're getting this, I got back into WWF just after the original Deadly Game, so now I have the opportunity to catch this...spiritual successor, I guess?

As much as I would personally love for Bray to put his newfound powers to good use and ascend, this HAS to be Reigns' time; just have him plow through fuckers like he's Kayoko Haruyama '08-'09.

Hagan

Post by Hagan » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:43 am

As others have said, Reigns/Ambrose seems like the best choice with one of them going heel at the end. Roman Reigns as corporate champ makes perfect sense, but I think they'd probably feel that would Lex Luger-him and kill him from becoming a top-tier face in the future.

Rollins is incredible, but I think there's an opportunity here. His booking has been awful and he's been all over Raw during a period where fan interest is dwindling. The chatter that they need to get Cena and Brock to save this is missing the point. This injury *might* force them to elevate a few guys. I think it could create interest in people who are tired of the Rollins/Authority machinations.

They have the template of the best-booked night of the Attitude Era right there to steal at the exact same show. You plug in Owens/Ambrose/Ziggler/any under-utilized babyface as your Mankind and let Reigns be your heel.

That said, I expect like fucking Jericho to be in the finals.

Addendum: Reigns vs Sheamus or Reigns vs ADR is getting booed out of the building, city, county, state and country. If anyone (Vince included) pitches that they should be treated like Russo pitching fucking Tank Abbot as WCW Champ and immediately removed from power.

Addendum Part 2: Even better, Monday they should do what Vince did after the nWo angle died and after the WCW InVasion and have Hunter and Steph basically announce the end of the Authority angle and do a soft reset of everyone. Without Rollins, you don't really have a end game in sight for the Reigns chase nor the probable angle with Hunter and they basically have to re-book the next six months anyway. And I'm fantasy booking...I'll show myself out.

NotThatTomGreen

Post by NotThatTomGreen » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:41 am

Had nothing better to do, so I did the fantasy booking that everyone else has been doing. I'm assuming that the Brothers of Destruction vs Wyatt Family match is still on and everyone involved is untouchable for the tournament.

I'm also going off the idea that they're doing qualifiers to fill TV time this week, thus the 16-man format (quarterfinals and on would be on Survivor Series).

Here's the safe version I came up with (what I could see them doing):

Roman wins clean over a guy they perceive as a star that really isn't, same guys get slotted in the same places, give Roman/Dean face-face with no turn, so on and so forth.

Then, here's a more ballsy version that I thought could be cool:

FIRST ROUND/QUALIFIERS
Ambrose vs Big E - I think you can sacrifice Big E in a singles considering that the New Day's momentum is as the sum of its parts.
Jericho vs Barrett - Barrett is one of Jericho's hand-picked house show opponents, so they probably have a good enough match down to make for entertaining TV. It's someone Jericho can beat without stopping anyone's momentum. (Fozzy is in Europe right now, so if they REALLY wanted to get Jericho in and throw money, they surely could)
Kevin Owens vs Neville - Good match to fill TV
Finn Balor vs The Miz - I'm under the impression Finn will be at TV this week. The European crowd will give him a star reaction. Send Miz out to blab on, do Finn's entrance on Raw for the first time, have Finn run through his big spots, and we go home. Give them enough of Finn to make them want more at Survivor Series.

Roman Reigns vs Sheamus - Most fans are going to think Sheamus is going to cash in at the end of Survivor Series anyway. Book to make them think that way. Give him an issue with Roman with this loss to direct thought that way.
Cesaro vs Big Show - When you flash the brackets on TV, the general thoguht will be that Big Show wins so Roman can slay him in the next round like always happens. Maybe even have everyone on TV act as if it's a foregone conclusion that Show vs Roman is the quarterfinal match. Give them a positive swerve - Cesaro wins and does something physically impressive to Show.
Tyler Breeze vs Dolph Ziggler - It's weird giving away the first match on TV, but give them a bullshit no-contest finish so you can bring it back. Plus it plays into the bigger story of...
Alberto Del Rio vs Zack Ryder - Play into the social media buzz of this being just like the Deadly Game tournament. Change it up so it's not completely predictable (you'll see how I'm thinking in a moment), but do the Duane Gill deal with Zack Ryder (mystery opponent, former champion, big sarcastic build-up, squash win for ADR). Del Rio is the chosen champion from the onset.

QUARTERFINALS
Ambrose vs Jericho - You have a loose end that, by the end of this show, won't probably matter. Tie it here. Ambrose beats him, embrace, yadda yadda.
Owens vs Balor - This is where you give away a long Finn Balor match. Atlanta's typically more the type of crowd that's just into what is presented on Raw every week, but the PPV crowds have been swaying more into the Mania weekend types, so I wouldn't be afraid about putting them out for 15 minutes. Owens goes up, and either you can keep Finn on TV and just build off of him hanging with Owens for the future, or you send him back down to NXT and bring him up whenever you're ready.
Reigns vs Cesaro - Do a quick backstage on the pre-show where Cesaro is coming out of The Authority's office, confused. Lay it on that the fix is in on Reigns. They'll have a good little match. If the crowd boos Reigns going over Cesaro, good. We're preconditioning them for the end of the night.
Alberto Del Rio BYE - He's got the easy road because he's the chosen champion. Even have the commentators speculate that the Authority bracketed the tourney, knowing that Breeze & Ziggler would eliminate each other somehow and that this would happen.

SEMIFINALS
Ambrose vs Owens - Settle their TV issue from this past week here. Owens goes over clean (important that it's clean, because of the ending of the show).
Reigns vs Del Rio - Easy story going in - the guy that we think is the corporate pick against the guy we think is scrapping his way against the odds. Roman goes over.

Between this and the finals, do a backstage where Triple H goes to Kevin Owens and hypes him up for his final match, says he's the last hope to keep the title away from Roman Reigns, yadda yadda.

FINALS
Reigns vs Owens

- Have The Authority out at the beginning with the championship since they'll be presenting it to the champion, Wrestlemania 4-style. Very early in the match, send Sheamus out to sit at ringside by The Authority, to set the bug in the viewer's mind that Roman's winning and Sheamus is immediately cashing in as per The Authority's ruling. As the match gets longer, Triple H seems to get more frustrated.
- As they're getting towards the end of the match, have Sheamus start creeping closer to ringside. Do a double-down as they often do, and have Sheamus rush the ring as Triple H yells "PLAN B! PLAN B!" (the viewer thinking that Plan B is Sheamus cashing in, as it was with Seth Rollins). At that moment, send Ambrose out to cut him off. Triple H gets his hands dirty and brawls with Ambrose, as Sheamus breaks free and throws his briefcase into the ring - to Roman. Roman KO's Owens with the briefcase, ref turns around, counts three, and Roman Reigns is the new Champion.
- After the match, Roman embraces The Authority, as they celebrate over Owens' prone body. Ambrose crawls into the ring, trying to drag himself to Roman to get some answers. But before he can do so, Sheamus blasts him with the Brogue Kick. The show ends with The Authority, Sheamus, & Reigns raising arms.

From there, you can do Sheamus/Ambrose (maybe in a ladder match for the briefcase) and Owens/Reigns at TLC, with Triple H explaining that the entire tournament was set up for Roman, who is their bigger, stronger model now that Seth Rollins is on the shelf. Save Reigns/Ambrose for the Rumble (which includes Brock winning the Rumble itself). You could probably bring back Reigns/Ambrose in a gimmick match at the February show. Mania would be Reigns/Lesnar and either Owens or Ambrose against Triple H (if The Rock falls through).

tl;dr: More than likely, Reigns is getting the belt at the end as a babyface, but a ballsy version would be to do a Owens/Reigns finals double-turn.

dj22319

Post by dj22319 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:36 am

NotThatTomGreen wrote:Had nothing better to do, so I did the fantasy booking that everyone else has been doing. I'm assuming that the Brothers of Destruction vs Wyatt Family match is still on and everyone involved is untouchable for the tournament.
Wow, great 2nd bracket with solid ideas. Very possible that some of this might happen.
The name's David Perez, but you can call me David Purorez (GET ITTTTT?)

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:17 am

Reigns really has to win here. I don't think screwing him over now can or should be an option at this point unless they give up on him. You can have him win as a heel (better option) or face, but I think he is really the only logical choice if he is to be their 'man.'

Wiretaup

Post by Wiretaup » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:32 pm

mlev76 wrote:Reigns really has to win here. I don't think screwing him over now can or should be an option at this point unless they give up on him. You can have him win as a heel (better option) or face, but I think he is really the only logical choice if he is to be their 'man.'
Yeah, it may not have been ideal but if they're still dead set on Roman being the guy, it would hurt him badly to not leave Survivor Series with the title.

Especially if he won the tournament and got cashed in on again for the second time in the same year.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:35 pm

You can fire up the Reigns Train anytime you want...just throwing it out there, but perhaps you can use this to elevate someone else...

/it'll be Reigns, I know.

BillThompson

Post by BillThompson » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:59 pm

Not a fan of anyone getting injured, but I'm not a fan of Seth in any way so this might be a chance for WWE to get me watching non-C show main roster stuff again. They really could do something different, change things up and present a strong new champ after the lame duck reign that was Seth's. Of course they will put the belt on Kane and I'll wonder why I ever thought they would do anything differently.

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:06 pm

If you're going to put the belt on Reigns here, no brackets. Tournament is "BOLA" style--you don't know who you're facing. Hell, add in a Mystery Vortex aspect and don't even name who's in it. Put an NXT guy in who doesn't have to win (Samoa Joe, Apollo Crews), bring back a guy for a one shot (Galloway) etc

For the story, have it be the Authority mind fucking with Reigns. Semifinal match has to be Reigns vs. Ambrose. Finals: Owens/Reigns. False cash in by Sheamus.

JonnyBart

Post by JonnyBart » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:38 pm

duyarvish wrote:Roman Reigns vs Sheamus is an absolute Nightmare feud for me
Just imagining this feud makes me want to throw my laptop across the room.

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:50 pm

Would be great if Seth's injury made Roman re-evaluate things and turn heel

"I saw that even a skinny loud mouthed jerk like Seth Rollins, with the right friends, could be something with the help of the Authority"

CThrash13

Post by CThrash13 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:30 pm

First off, it's a damn shame Seth Rollins is injured and out for so long. He's my favorite wrestler at the moment, and I was really excited to see him compete at Mania close to home next year. It's a bummer, but it'll make for an exciting return sometime in 2016! As far as the WWE World Heavyweight Championship situation goes, here are a couple thoughts that have stuck in my mind the most.

I honestly can't come up with a better outcome than Dean Ambrose turning heel on Roman and winning the title in the Finals with some outside interference from The Authority or some kind of cheating. That would give Dean a nice little run at the top, and it would make Roman's chase for the title even more exciting moving forward. Some fans might even feel a little sympathy for him if he goes through another setback like that.

Now if I was booking things, I'd put the title around Big E's waste. I probably wouldn't roll with the "Freebird rule" with the WWE World Heavyweight Championship, but it would still be entertaining if they went that route. Can you honestly imagine anything better right now than having The New Day hold the tag team gold and the biggest prize in the business? They could entertain on the mic in a big way, and they can all go in the ring as well. In addition, they are about as hot right now as they will be so why not pull the trigger on this? I'd be all for it.

Seth's injury stinks, but it's time for someone to step up and make a name for himself. This should provide that opportunity, so that's kind of exciting at least. Get well soon Champ!

rwa2play

Post by rwa2play » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:51 pm

H.U.S.T.L.E. wrote:
cbacon87 wrote:At this point, the only bad choices are Kane and Show.

Either they put the belt on someone who's been waiting, they give it to an established guy who can do something interesting (whether that's Cena, Brock, Taker or I guess even Sheamus) or they completely shake things up with someone off the wall. I get why people are saying this is the worst timing, but at the same time it's going to force their hand in shaking things up somewhat and doing something different from the Rollins reign.
Agreed. If they have the guts to do it, I think the best outcome for them is to face off Ambrose vs. Reigns in the finals. My preferred options for the outcome:

Ambrose goes full lunatic on Reigns. Reigns is still babyface and the chase begins again as another friend turns on him.

OR

Reigns screws over Ambrose, with the Usos as the muscle. Let Reigns off the leash on the mic and he can say what he really thinks about the fans who turned on him.
Ala Rock's 1st heel turn and joining the Nation of Domination? Sounds good to me!