WWE NXT 2015

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
JML

WWE NXT 2015

Post by JML » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:52 pm

I felt the same way in terms of it being awkward when I saw the match live but I rewatched the match when show replayed on the live stream and I liked it cause it helped end the story if it's Sasha's true swan song.

It was a really good match but it's not better than the Brooklyn match or the Unstoppable match. All of these matches and NXT matches on big shows in general have gotten better to me personally on rewatch, which is weird for me cause I'm not in the camp of "rewatching matches is better" than watching live.

Quentin Moody

WWE NXT 2015

Post by Quentin Moody » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:13 pm

Cool little story I wanted to share. So my two seven year old sisters who don't know anything about wrestling besides John Cena watched the NXT special with me last night. They were enjoying it for the most part, but man when they saw Sasha and Bayley come out to wrestle their eyes lit up. They didn't know either of these women prior to last night, but they both fell in love with Sasha last night and now want me to show them more of her (As I type this one of my sisters is here with me watching Becky vs Sasha from Unstoppable). They sat through a 30 minute iron man match and had their eyes glued to every second of it. As the match went on they got really invested and started cheering for Bayley even though they were all for Sasha early on. Seeing those two women tear the house down made two little girls who knew nothing about wrestling before fans of something way more than anything they might have caught a glimpse of before that I was watching. The importance of these women to little girls cannot be understated.
Last edited by Quentin Moody on Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TGD287

Re: WWE NXT 2015

Post by TGD287 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:42 pm

I liked this match more than Brooklyn. Yes, Brooklyn was figuratively and literately bigger due to being in an arena, but I felt more of a connection with everything being in a small building. And obviously the interaction with Izzy was a big part of that. There were so many callbacks to previous matches and earlier moments. The commentary was spot on in pointing out how previous moments were coming into effect.

One spot I didn't see get a ton of love, was Bayley pulling Sasha from the corner in the air for a full flat bump, and Sasha instead landing on her feet. She was up in the air for so long that I bit and assumed she'd take the bump, and instead at the very last second maneuvered to her feet. With the men it's usually telegraphed (Silas Young does it all the time). Here it was perfect.

For any complaints about sloppiness (and there was plenty, no doubt. If Sasha went full Ricochet and landed on her feet from the reverse frankensteiner it would have been amazing), I always think back to Cena/Punk at MITB. As great as it was, there were several moments of things looking off. Constant "he didn't get all of it." If you're using a rating system with 17 or so points, I guess it matters (edit: not a complaint of star ratings.), but it didn't take my enjoyment out if it.

You could say the ending was predictable, but I felt they shows all the different ways it could go, with either wrestler getting the last fall, or going into sudden death (which is what I was really hoping for, in the "please don't end" mindset).

I'll join the mindset of best Takeover of all time. I won't put the main event as the great match ever in the specials history, but the undercard was all at least good, and for an overall average it exceeded all of the other shows.

And hey, going to SHIMMER this weekend. Expectations have been set. :D

rovert

Post by rovert » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:14 pm

I hope Itami becomes a biggest success and gets a documentary on the WWE Network or is interviewed by a really good interviewer/translator. As and I know it is still early days but Asuka seemingly made the transition to the US Wrestling already. Why he was so tentative for so long remains an interesting and open question.

jeremysexton

Post by jeremysexton » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:24 pm

I do not understand the people being picky about the crowd at all.

If they were chanting stuff like, "We are awesome", sure.

It's as if people will only accept "boo", "yay", or rapt silence to show proper reverence and attention.

Quentin Moody

WWE NXT 2015

Post by Quentin Moody » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:41 pm

Are people actually talking about "rehearsing"? Never understood people using "they rehearsed" as a critique of a match and it bothers me that this narrative usually only comes along when talking about the big NXT women's matches. As long as the finished product on the big stage looks good, why does it fucking matter if they practiced it? They knew what they wanted to do, practiced because they knew this was a VERY big night, prepared, and when the time came they executed on everything and put on a hell of a match.

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:56 pm

Quentin Moody wrote:Are people actually talking about "rehearsing"? Never understood people using "they rehearsed" as a critique of a match and it bothers me that this narrative usually only comes along when talking about the big NXT women's matches. As long as the finished product on the big stage looks good, why does it fucking matter if they practiced it? They knew what they wanted to do, practiced because they knew this was a VERY big night, prepared, and when the time came they executed on everything and put on a hell of a match.
Do same people hate Steamboat-Savage? Rock promos?

it's thinly veiled misogyny imo

TGD287

Post by TGD287 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:24 pm

"No you see, the only acceptable way to rehearse a match is on house shows every night for three weeks straight. That's how MEN do it!"

It's just lame argument.

DanTheDazzler

Post by DanTheDazzler » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:37 pm

Jeff Hawkins wrote:
Quentin Moody wrote:Are people actually talking about "rehearsing"? Never understood people using "they rehearsed" as a critique of a match and it bothers me that this narrative usually only comes along when talking about the big NXT women's matches. As long as the finished product on the big stage looks good, why does it fucking matter if they practiced it? They knew what they wanted to do, practiced because they knew this was a VERY big night, prepared, and when the time came they executed on everything and put on a hell of a match.
Do same people hate Steamboat-Savage? Rock promos?

it's thinly veiled misogyny imo
I can't lie, praising Rock promos then bashing misogyny next sentence did just make me burst out laughing.

I do agree on the whole "rehearsal doesn't make it bad" thing though, guys and gals practice spots all the time, and to be quite frank we have no idea how much of these matches are rehearsed. Sure, Full Sail (and Brooklyn) are essentially give minds, but purely from a mathematical standpoint the odds of the crowd reacting how they want them to every time are astronomical, so they must be doing an element of calling in the ring to fit everything in.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:42 pm

Wrestling is performance art...it'd be like a critic bashing Cirue du Soleil shows because "they should have gone out there cold so we could see how they really perform"...

JML

Post by JML » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:47 pm

I remember Matt Farmer brought it up on PWO when he got into it with Bill Thompson over how good these NXT girls are.

He brought it up as a valid point that they won't have the time to go over matches at the main roster like they do in NXT cause the women have so many obligations on the road and the time getting cut constantly. But that was pre "Divas Revolution" where now they are getting time.

I think a lot of people took a statement that Matt brought up and twisted it to fit their narrative that they aren't good at all.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:52 pm

BoxingRobes wrote:Wrestling is performance art...it'd be like a critic bashing Cirue du Soleil shows because "they should have gone out there cold so we could see how they really perform"...
Right. It's an evolution of the business and the circumstances of working in that particular company. I know indie guys who say on the ride up to a show they don't even know who they are working, I'm sure they get there, map out some spots and go from there. That's just how it is.

At NXT & Performance Center, these guys and girls almost have no choice but to plan and map stuff out — what the hell else would they do all? "Hey we have that main event in two weeks, wanna talk about it?" "NO, THATS NOT HOW IT'S DONE!"

You can argue that's not effective and while I agree to an extent, acting as if there's no fluidity once they've agreed upon a flow of the match is absurd. Things happen all the time throughout a match and these NXT women's main events are no different, the "rehearsal" thing is a crutch. Rehearsing at the PC for a few weeks leading up to your match is no different than working similar style house show matches all across the country in the build to a PPV, special event or a bigger house show. It's just another "GRRR THE WRESTLING I GREW UP LOVING ISN'T THE SAME WRESTLING WE HAVE TODAY GRRRR" point that isn't rooted in any sort of logic or reality.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:06 pm

I think more workers should prepare more for big matches...these girls, when they've gone out for big matches have often exceeded expectations (Sash-BayBay II might have been a victim of expectations that were set too high as a result)...if they need to practice them...give'em time to practice them.

Do people knock Savage or career renaissance DDP for mapping out matches? I'd hate to hang out with that circle of GenPop'rs.

Especially for these pure WWE product-types...it wouldn't hurt to practice their shit...some of the undercard purebred PC-baby NXT matches are kinda poop that gets passed off as decent if we're being honest...we kinda pat their heads like we're Dana Brooke to Devin Taylor when they give us a competent, basic, 5m, WWE style match. They give us a non-cringe worthy two-star special and applaud'em and give'em a bonus star for not fucking up the finish. Its happened to us all in these NXT reviews.

Oh, Enzo and Big Cass gave us a five minute match where they didn't botch anything or create an awkward moment by missing a spot? *clap clap clap clap* THREE STARS!

Hell, I did it last night. Dana Brooke stood there and let Kana kick the shit out of her and slither in and out of holds...GREAT MATCH!

rovert

Post by rovert » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:37 pm

JML wrote:I remember Matt Farmer brought it up on PWO when he got into it with Bill Thompson over how good these NXT girls are.

He brought it up as a valid point that they won't have the time to go over matches at the main roster like they do in NXT cause the women have so many obligations on the road and the time getting cut constantly. But that was pre "Divas Revolution" where now they are getting time.

I think a lot of people took a statement that Matt brought up and twisted it to fit their narrative that they aren't good at all.
You'd swear WWE Live Events didn't exist. :lol:

Some people really need to think this out. The women have limitations put on them on the main roster.

Shining Wiz

Post by Shining Wiz » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:30 am

Just finished the show, have literally not read a single word of reaction. That was the best show of the year, one of the better shows I've had the pleasure of watching possibly ever.

From personal experience, I think I'm likely to be shocked by the number of people who have something to complain about, which is why I went spoiler free.