The Official All Encompassing Johnny Gargano Thread

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
BillThompson

Re: The Official All Encompassing Johnny Gargano Thread

Post by BillThompson » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:18 pm

1) Fray, you're an unheralded genius.

2) My thoughts on Gargano are pretty well known, but to reiterate; he's the dirt worst. I loathe everything about him as a professional wrestler. His match versus AR Fox from EVOLVE last year ranks easily as one of the worst I've sever seen, and it may not even by Gargano's worst performance of the year.

Rob McCarron
VOW Staff Member

Post by Rob McCarron » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:19 pm

Tread lightly or prep for a permaban.
Shake Them Ropes
iTunes | Stitcher | Twitter |YouTube

InYourCase
VOW Staff Member

Post by InYourCase » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:20 pm

Fray, I know this is your gimmick, but I'm about to work you into a shoot.

His DGUSA Open the Freedom Gate Championship run was the best thing Gabe's been a part of since probably Nigel's climb to the top. Started off as a fun babyface, then turned heel on Shingo is a ridiculously great match and became the best heel on the independents. Great talker, even better wrestler. Loved the way he closed out his reign with fun matches against Swann, Spradlin (fresh out of Paul's mark promotion), and Ricochet in a auditorium in the Big Easy.

I'm not someone with a strike fetish so whatever. He's not Stan Hansen, but I don't care.

The one knock I have on Gargano is his inability to sell Superkicks. It's greatly hurt a few of his matches in my eyes, especially his one against Ethan Page from the big AIW gimmick in 2014.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:22 pm

I'd argue his hairstyle is still very much IN but that's besides the point.

He had without a doubt the best Open the Freedom Gate run, one that excelled in telling long-form stories in how Gargano evolved from a literal opening/dark match worker into the top guy in the company.

Unfortunately, he became so obsessed with keeping that spot he resorted to nefarious tactics including ONE particular weapon (nice bit of storytelling) to retain his title setting off a heel run and giving new life to his reign. He was able to completely and successful re-invent himself halfway through a title reign to the point where when he eventually lost after almost three years, it still didn't feel like the right time. He was so so so good in that spot, if you can't appreciate that at some level, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Just about everything from Enter The Dragon 2012 where he beat Taylor in an I Quit match on was really top level stuff for it's time.

He was arguably the face of DGUSA for a few years with his peak ending in an incredible blow off match against Ricochet Mania weekend.

AmplifiedtoRock

Post by AmplifiedtoRock » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:22 pm

Jesus Christ.

He's an underrated worker. He's no technical genius by any stretch of the imagination, but he's a solid hand. He's gonna give you everything he's got every time he goes out there. He's not the most charismatic guy in the world, but he's far from the worst. Look, he just wants his fair shake. He's a millenial wrestler all of the millenial marks can look up to.
Follow me on the Twitter machine: @AmplifiedtoRock

duyarvish

Post by duyarvish » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:31 pm

I don't have strong feelings on Gargano's work, he's at his worst boring and should be a solid hand in NXT. He should be able to make some of their less experienced guys look really good.

His hair however looks like someone brought a picture of Adolf Hitler to their barber and asked them to change the cut slightly so people couldn't tell he's trying to look like Hitler.

Image Image

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:50 pm

He's 5'10, 190 brother.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:01 pm

The Fray Movement wrote:
Rich Kraetsch wrote:He's 5'10, 190 brother.
So. I'm 5'10' and 265 pounds of pure muscle and you don't see me with aspirations to join the World Wrestling Federation.
Bruh, you're one of those vegan weirdos. You have no chance in Vince Jr.'s World Wide Wrestling Federation.

NoLoudNoise

Post by NoLoudNoise » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:08 pm

I actually think being in NXT helps his worst attributes because doing 8 minute TV matches is pretty much all about getting your shit in.

I don't usually HATE Gargano he's mostly just there for me, but that match with Page from the last EVOLVE I thought was a terrible outing from him. To me Page had a career making performance and got a good match out of Gargano who wouldn't cooperate in any form. There was no intensity or fire from a guy who was betrayed by the guy he brought in the company, of course his strikes are always mentioned, but his offense in that match was pretty much a standard Gargano match and not the epic blood feud type of work it should have been. His comebacks seemed extremely uninspired and because of that the finish to an otherwise good match fell somewhat flat despite knowing it was coming due to the ring rope being there.

Don't usually do the bury Gargano thing but he stuck out as very bad in that specific match against a guy who honestly isn't that good in the ring and Ethan Page looked like CM Punk as an all around performer that match compared to Johnny

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:11 pm

I will agree with you guys on one thing, I haven't been as big of a Johnny fan in the last 1-2 years as I was from 2011-2014.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:15 pm

Gargano v. SHINGO...if that doesn't get you all aboard the Johnny Wrestling hype wagon, yer fackin lawst

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:40 pm

So... Is this thread a gimmick, or a shoot?

Rob McCarron
VOW Staff Member

Post by Rob McCarron » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:44 pm

It's about to be history, as 'The Fray Movement' is on thin ice! Under that ice? An IP permaban.
Shake Them Ropes
iTunes | Stitcher | Twitter |YouTube

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:50 pm

PKThree wrote:So... Is this thread a gimmick, or a shoot?
It's a gimmick. It's fine for this purposes because it's actually creating somewhat of a discussion on Gargano which is fun but I'd prefer to keep "gimmick accounts" to a minimum lest we turn into the F4W Board. SO yeah, it's a gimmick though I think Fray legitimately doesn't like him. I'd enjoy him to take an actual approach to arguing this topic.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:06 pm

I can 100% see if 2015 Johnny Gargano is your scope you wouldn't understand why people love him. Go watch a few of the videos I posted there, your mind may be made up but if you have a chance to relive some of that stuff from 2011-2014, I think you'll be singing a somewhat different tune.