F4W/Observer-Is it still worth paying for?

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Re: F4W/Observer-Is it still worth paying for?

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon May 02, 2016 4:48 pm

mprentice84 wrote:I recently resubscribed to the print Observer and am letting my digital lapse in two weeks. I just can't justify paying for the bulk of the audio at this point. Outside of Dave, Tom Lawlor, and Alan's shows, there is much better stuff being done on this site and over at the Torch. I'll always follow Dave and pay for his writing, but i'm over the F4W side of things for now. To replace my board time, i'll be posting here a lot more often and have fired my Twitter account back up as well.
Great to have you back on board, Matt. Looking forward to your contributions to the forums and thank you for the kind words w/r/t to our audio.

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Mon May 02, 2016 6:08 pm

Sorry, posted in the wrong thread...:oops:

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Mon May 02, 2016 6:23 pm

mprentice84 wrote:I recently resubscribed to the print Observer and am letting my digital lapse in two weeks. I just can't justify paying for the bulk of the audio at this point. Outside of Dave, Tom Lawlor, and Alan's shows, there is much better stuff being done on this site and over at the Torch. I'll always follow Dave and pay for his writing, but i'm over the F4W side of things for now. To replace my board time, i'll be posting here a lot more often and have fired my Twitter account back up as well.
Told you the Board is lacking.

Uhaacrews

Post by Uhaacrews » Thu May 05, 2016 5:41 am

I was hoping there would be more news this week in the newsletter, but there didn't seem to be much of anything new besides the thing about the women's GCS like show. No news on a few items that I have seen be referenced in decent days. Nothing about where Bobby Roode and Eric Young stand with the company after the NXT tapings last week. No discussion about post WWE possibilities with Ryback. No real scoops.

rovert

Post by rovert » Thu May 05, 2016 12:24 pm

Uhaacrews wrote:I was hoping there would be more news this week in the newsletter, but there didn't seem to be much of anything new besides the thing about the women's GCS like show. No news on a few items that I have seen be referenced in decent days. Nothing about where Bobby Roode and Eric Young stand with the company after the NXT tapings last week. No discussion about post WWE possibilities with Ryback. No real scoops.
Nothing on the announcer firings, the NXT coach firing and all the ROH turmoil. The latter of which people in or around think has to do with Hunter Johnston's friendship with Bryan and Dave.

timmah

Post by timmah » Thu May 05, 2016 4:41 pm

Sorry I must have missed this completely-what is the "ROH turmoil"?

rovert

Post by rovert » Thu May 05, 2016 5:41 pm

timmah wrote:Sorry I must have missed this completely-what is the "ROH turmoil"?

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Thu May 05, 2016 5:50 pm

Time frame on when the turmoil is looking to boil over?

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Thu May 05, 2016 6:47 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:Close to a quarter of the contracted talent is leaving. Not my place to say who. That's the turmoil. The names shouldn't be surprised if you've been paying any attention to this thread or have your finger remotely on the pulse.
Oops, not THIS thread, rather the ROH thread, which I thought this was.

ayaashm

Post by ayaashm » Tue May 10, 2016 1:43 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
Joe Lanza wrote:Close to a quarter of the contracted talent is leaving. Not my place to say who. That's the turmoil. The names shouldn't be surprised if you've been paying any attention to this thread or have your finger remotely on the pulse.
Oops, not THIS thread, rather the ROH thread, which I thought this was.

After the initial surge from Baba's death, NTT, the National Telegram company, equivalent to Western Union, was shut down for several days. The rush on sending telegrams of condolences to Baba's family and the All Japan office was such that there was no telegram paper left in Japan.

Everybody should sign up just to read this amazing piece Dave has written on death on Giant Baba and his impact and legacy on this business.
http://members.f4wonline.com/wrestling- ... asses-away

and the followup as well http://members.f4wonline.com/wrestling- ... eath-giant .
Lanza is a geek.
Twitter : https://twitter.com/drunkonchai/

ayaashm

Post by ayaashm » Tue May 10, 2016 1:45 pm

Another interesting tidbit :

The public reaction to the death of Shohei Baba over the past week stunned even the most ardent Japanese followers of pro wrestling. The reaction, for someone described in almost every form of medium as a national hero, went far beyond any recent sports deaths in recent U.S. culture such as a Mickey Mantle, and was more comparable to the reaction to entertainment legends such as Elvis Presley, John Lennon and Frank Sinatra.

The reaction surprised people in today's wrestling, recognizing Baba as one of the three big names in Japanese wrestling history along with Rikidozan and Antonio Inoki, but not realizing that the older generation that controls the media, the news directors, editors, and publishers in their 40s and 50s grew up in the 60s--a world where pro wrestling and Giant Baba's wins over the top Americans every Friday night on NTV was somehow representative of the concurrent rise of Japan as a world wide economic power after World War II in a country where symbolism is so important.

This generation gap was best represented when nearly every television station in the country, and more than 200 reporters in total, were camped outside Baba's mansion in Tokyo on 2/2 for the private funeral service. Baba had been cremated the previous day. Current All Japan stars like Mitsuharu Misawa and Kenta Kobashi walked right past reporters who had no knowledge of who they were, despite All Japan's late night television ratings being extraordinary in recent months. However, when the 70s stars that the reporters grew up with, such as Jumbo Tsuruta, Seiji Sakaguchi and Tatsumi Fujinami walked by, they were mobbed by reporters, who saw people from their generation, the likes of Sadaharu Oh (Japan's all-time home run record holder), Shigeo Nagashima, and even The Destroyer
Lanza is a geek.

ayaashm

Post by ayaashm » Tue May 10, 2016 1:49 pm

Meltzer with the quick 1-2 : [Feb22,1999]

" Hogan challenged Flair again. Flair at this moment fell out of the turnip truck, grabbed a hoe (you know, a rake, not a prostitute, that's the other station) and kept falling down."
Lanza is a geek.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue May 10, 2016 4:52 pm

The story in this week's back issue that Dave recounted on WOR is some tremendous "Vince being Vince" stuff. I feel bad for Dave, but no sympathy for Phil Mushnick. F that guy.

ayaashm

Post by ayaashm » Tue May 10, 2016 4:55 pm

mlev76 wrote:The story in this week's back issue that Dave recounted on WOR is some tremendous "Vince being Vince" stuff. I feel bad for Dave, but no sympathy for Phil Mushnick. F that guy.
Yes, that was quite a story. I am not aware of why Phil Mushnick is so hated. Please enlighten me.
Lanza is a geek.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue May 10, 2016 4:59 pm

ayaashm wrote:
mlev76 wrote:The story in this week's back issue that Dave recounted on WOR is some tremendous "Vince being Vince" stuff. I feel bad for Dave, but no sympathy for Phil Mushnick. F that guy.
Yes, that was quite a story. I am not aware of why Phil Mushnick is so hated. Please enlighten me.
In the wrestling world, he's been hated for a long time since he's been a very outspoken critic of WWE and wrestling in general for years. In many ways, he has a point with regard to his criticism of the steroid and drug culture. But, his criticism becomes easy for his critics to ignore because of the hyperbole.

His writing style is very caustic, muckraking type of writing and he's engendered many enemies from that even outside writing.