F4W/Observer-Is it still worth paying for?

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
syxxpakk

Re: F4W/Observer-Is it still worth paying for?

Post by syxxpakk » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:34 pm

Accidentally let mine rollover but plan to cancel it at the end of this month for much of the same reasons, plus Dave is just a douchebag.
"If I’m Neville or Aries, I definitely give a shit about the take of TJ “Career Trajectory Vanilla Midget” Perkins regarding my burning desire for advancement and steady income." - supersonic

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:31 am

Mr. B wrote:Cancelled my 6 year sub this morning. The board admin drove me away. Shout out to the guy who reached out to me on FB and directed me to come here!
Are you by chance Texas indie wrestler/trainer Mr. B?

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:26 am

Whoever wrote up the Del Rio/Kalisto newz in the Observer (dave?) doesn't know Spanish...let me know when you hear Del Rio say come mierda to one of these lil flippy fucks.

timmah

Post by timmah » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:53 pm

The Sheety awards have spoken. F4W humiliated.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:27 pm

Mr. B wrote:Cancelled my 6 year sub this morning. The board admin drove me away. Shout out to the guy who reached out to me on FB and directed me to come here!
Welcome, brother. I think you'll find this community far more of a rewarding pro wrestling experience. We of course still have arguments and what not but everything is more civil and it's very much an inclusion community. Enjoy and let me know if you have any questions or issues!

somerandomguy

Post by somerandomguy » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:11 pm

timmah wrote:The Sheety awards have spoken. F4W humiliated.
lol im a big talking sheet fan and i let my sub over there lapse for the first time 5 years a few months ago.

but let's not pretend they aren't catering to an audience of disgruntled F4W fans/reddit weirdos who hate dave. i seriously doubt the majority of the people from F4W voted in the sheetys. since you can tell from their board the last i was there that most of them weren't fans or listeners to talking sheet.

i'm sure there's plenty of people that are satisfied with their subs over there that weren't involved in this at all. (i hope so anyway since alvarez is about to have another mouth to feed and has to fund his wife's whale hunting hobby)

seriously don't pretend it's not a highly biased and selected population of voters in those awards. F4W has its flaws as exemplified by this thread and talking sheet weekly, but to act like it's been humiliated is kind of laughable. at the end of the day dave and bryan are making money off of this when the majority of the winners of these imaginary awards are just doing it for a hobby.

EDIT: btw since i don't see a thread on the sheetys or use twitter. congrats to all the VOW winners. they're well deserved. especially brandon howard. this has been my favorite graps website for at least 2 years now. since i discovered it on THE BOARD coincidentally.

double EDIT: also lanza and rob were both robbed imo.

rovert

Post by rovert » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:47 pm

The board doesn't even vote the Wrestling Observer Awards to be fair. So you are overplaying the unfairness operating here. Posters on F4W only vote on whether a gimmick has "go way heat" or "if they have jumped the shark".

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:38 am

Haven't listened to the Sheetys pod yet (on my list of things to blow through as I sit in my inlaws house in the Chicago suburbs), but I think the lack of passion for the business coupled with the rise of sites, like this one, where that passion still exists and is celebrated speaks loudest of where you'd go if you actually like wrestling and not just hate watching it. It's so fucking tiring wading through the many sites and pundits telling you what's wrong with today's wrestling (if not for this, I'm convinced JR and Cornette would both be nonexistent in the sport) that the novelty of screaming MINUS FIVE STARS has been lost.

Listening to the best of 2015 show reminded me that there are still moments the site is worth my time and money and no one is replacing the bios, HOF and other aspects where Dave shines, but I'd say, in keeping with a trope he himself promotes, that Dave and F4W have never been less important to enjoying the business on a 'smart' level than ever before.

mprentice84

Post by mprentice84 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:53 pm

rovert wrote:The board doesn't even vote the Wrestling Observer Awards to be fair. So you are overplaying the unfairness operating here. Posters on F4W only vote on whether a gimmick has "go way heat" or "if they have jumped the shark".
That's a gross generalization. There's plenty of good award discussion over there and a number of voters, myself included. The variety of posters also makes for a good debate on the awards. MMA fans, purely NA pro wres fans, Japan fans, etc.

syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:09 am

Literally the only thing worth paying for is the TNAMecca thread. Hobbes deserves a free lifetime sub for it.
"If I’m Neville or Aries, I definitely give a shit about the take of TJ “Career Trajectory Vanilla Midget” Perkins regarding my burning desire for advancement and steady income." - supersonic

ceftaxias

Post by ceftaxias » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:04 am

mprentice84 wrote:
rovert wrote:The board doesn't even vote the Wrestling Observer Awards to be fair. So you are overplaying the unfairness operating here. Posters on F4W only vote on whether a gimmick has "go way heat" or "if they have jumped the shark".
That's a gross generalization. There's plenty of good award discussion over there and a number of voters, myself included. The variety of posters also makes for a good debate on the awards. MMA fans, purely NA pro wres fans, Japan fans, etc.
You won't convince people here on that one, and you can't blame them. Plus you gotta let rovert do his generalization thing.

rovert

Post by rovert » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:56 am

ceftaxias wrote:
mprentice84 wrote:
You won't convince people here on that one, and you can't blame them. Plus you gotta let rovert do his generalization thing.
Oh yeah I forgot threads about the Raw rating if it is down.

Seriously guys what must read Wrestling threads have there been over there in the past year or so in terms of serious Wrestling talk? There was a time people would send me links but that never ever happens. News value wise it is far behind Twitter, Reddit and most other Wrestling forums and quality of discussion wise it is a joke and rarely operates outside of Bryan and Dave's thoughts on the previous podcast. The better posters have migrated elsewhere and you don't even get nuggets of info from industry people or industry people posting under aliases anymore either. It has no clear strength anymore.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:11 am

Rich Kraetsch wrote:
Welcome, brother. I think you'll find this community far more of a rewarding pro wrestling experience. We of course still have arguments and what not but everything is more civil and it's very much an inclusion community. Enjoy and let me know if you have any questions or issues!
He never answered my question. Sad face emoji.

mprentice84

Post by mprentice84 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:26 am

syxxpakk wrote:TNAMecca thread.
syxxpakk wrote:Hobbes deserves a free lifetime sub for it.
I'm not going to argue with that. Hobbes created a masterpiece.

mprentice84

Post by mprentice84 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:30 am

rovert wrote:
ceftaxias wrote:
mprentice84 wrote:
Oh yeah I forgot threads about the Raw rating if it is down.

Seriously guys what must read Wrestling threads have there been over there in the past year or so in terms of serious Wrestling talk? There was a time people would send me links but that never ever happens. News value wise it is far behind Twitter, Reddit and most other Wrestling forums and quality of discussion wise it is a joke and rarely operates outside of Bryan and Dave's thoughts on the previous podcast. The better posters have migrated elsewhere and you don't even get nuggets of info from industry people or industry people posting under aliases anymore either. It has no clear strength anymore.
I enjoy posting there and my wife and I have met a number of really nice BOARD folks in Vegas at the convention and at WrestleMania weekends. I totally understand some of your gripes though. Anyways, everyone here is very nice for as well, I need to pop by more often and post in the other threads.