F4W/Observer-Is it still worth paying for?

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
Wiretaup

Re: F4W/Observer-Is it still worth paying for?

Post by Wiretaup » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:32 pm

Morten VH wrote:
Wiretaup wrote:I just don't have an interest in hearing breakdowns of shows from 20 years ago. I think they're at their best when they aren't talking about wrestling at all, honestly.

But I rarely listen B&V these days anyway, so it wouldn't be a big loss.
Dude, what the fuck is going on in your avatar?! :shock:
It's the titantron graphics for Unforgiven 2001.

One of the more bizarre things to come out of WWE's production truck.

Ageyev

Post by Ageyev » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:37 am

DezWalker wrote:First Post, heard about the thread on Talking Sheet.

I do think it's worth the subscription price. For me it's always been about the newsletter and the newsletter is worth more than $10/month, imo. If the audio and/or the Board went away tomorrow, I'd miss them but it's not what I'm paying for.

As someone else said earlier (Dylan, maybe), I enjoy the Observer now for entirely different reasons though. I'm more of an MMA fan but I still love pro wrestling. I enjoy New Japan, ROH and NXT far more than RAW these days (newsflash!). There is a lot of coverage of all of that on the Observer site but I do feel like it's not publicized enough and sometimes you have to work to find it.

I like what I've seen here and the guys involved with the site that I know are all great dudes and I will likely be adding some of the audio here to my regular listening rotation.
Are there many like you do you think/know? Ie. F4W/Observer customers and readers who prefer MMA to wrestling. Always get the impression that there are more wrestling fans than MMA and people either tolerate the MMA, pay attention to the stuff when it's mainstream or are into either equally or secondarily.

Dave has been covering UFC and related since the early 90s so there's not much valid complaint really but with MMA covered in mainstream does Meltzer even figure in as one of the main journalists covering it? I'm kinda ignorant as to how subscribers feel about the MMA written and audio coverage as well as how MMA fans view Meltzer. I mean, I know some MMA fans don't want anything to do with fake pro wrestling and there's stuff on the F4W board you can go by but I don't really have an understanding of the wider milieu.

Ageyev

Post by Ageyev » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:38 am

Wiretaup wrote:
Morten VH wrote:
Wiretaup wrote:I just don't have an interest in hearing breakdowns of shows from 20 years ago. I think they're at their best when they aren't talking about wrestling at all, honestly.

But I rarely listen B&V these days anyway, so it wouldn't be a big loss.
Dude, what the fuck is going on in your avatar?! :shock:
It's the titantron graphics for Unforgiven 2001.

One of the more bizarre things to come out of WWE's production truck.
There were lots of weird shit in 2001 WWF and that autumn had its share of shakey screaming heads.

TGD287

Post by TGD287 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:06 pm

I have a friend who's a hardcore MMA fan, who knows of and i suppose accepts Meltzer for his MMAFighting.com articles. Had no idea he's been covering pro wrestling for 30 years. And when i explained it, he said that's awesome.

One guy, but there ya go.

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:37 pm

this is a week where dave's tunnel vision gets the best of him, and a week where I question subscribing at times because you have to accept those personality ticks as a trade off

we have to go back and continue to annotate the Bischoff/JBL interview

Bischoff ran over his dog, I'm sure of it.

abrasiveobelisksa

Post by abrasiveobelisksa » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:02 pm

The article last time apparently got a lot of news, and it's not as pronounced as last time. No problems from my end.

MOJO

Post by MOJO » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:16 pm

To be fair, Dave Meltzer is hardly the only person in the wrestling business stuck in the late 90s.

BillThompson

Post by BillThompson » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:30 pm

I think there's a real problem with giving money to F4W/WON when one looks at the website for the Torch. Content wise both sites are similar, with the only real edge WON has being that they have Dave. But, just from a pure presentation and layout standpoint the Torch looks and runs like a website worth your money while F4W/WON does not. The fact that Bryan can't see how cheap and unprofessional their website and handling of the difficulties has been is pretty damning.

Benno

Post by Benno » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:46 pm

It's worth saying the Torch site was probably even worse than F4W for just as long as F4W was bad, but yeah it's very good now.

The Dave factor really is a no contest though. Wade just isn't for me as a podcast host and both times I've given the site a try I'd struggle to give any examples of real news that was ever broken there.

duyarvish

Post by duyarvish » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:55 pm

I don't prefer MMA to wrestling, but Daves modern MMA work is absolutely better then his modern wrestling stuff and if I wasn't interested in it I would have Un subscribed a while ago.

JonnyBart

Post by JonnyBart » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:03 pm

Jeff Hawkins wrote:this is a week where dave's tunnel vision gets the best of him, and a week where I question subscribing at times because you have to accept those personality ticks as a trade off

Not to mention Dave already did all that when Bischoff wrote his book. Shock: self promoters sometimes bullshit.

But the fact that Dave is at it again doesn't surprise me at all, that thing he has which makes him re-litigate WCW also makes him good at what he does in other ways.

ThomasOP

Post by ThomasOP » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:55 pm

Did Dave ever talk about Ric Flair claiming he was in Puerto Rico when Brody was murdered?

timmah

Post by timmah » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:08 pm

Yet another Raw review or still more Attitude era musings? It's a wash for me, certainly nothing I'd be interested in.

Ageyev

Post by Ageyev » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:49 am

JonnyBart wrote:
Jeff Hawkins wrote:this is a week where dave's tunnel vision gets the best of him, and a week where I question subscribing at times because you have to accept those personality ticks as a trade off

Not to mention Dave already did all that when Bischoff wrote his book. Shock: self promoters sometimes bullshit.

But the fact that Dave is at it again doesn't surprise me at all, that thing he has which makes him re-litigate WCW also makes him good at what he does in other ways.

That "thing" he has - personality, style, whatever - means he often doesn't structure sentences that make sense. Wade Keller and the Sheet Sandwich guy talked about it recently and they laughed it off as a quirk. It's amazing that Dave never comes in for criticism for the um, eh you know kinda quality of well actually let me tell you about this time Al Madril did a thing but you know - his writing.

Hobbes

Post by Hobbes » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:35 am

BillThompson wrote:I think there's a real problem with giving money to F4W/WON when one looks at the website for the Torch. Content wise both sites are similar, with the only real edge WON has being that they have Dave. But, just from a pure presentation and layout standpoint the Torch looks and runs like a website worth your money while F4W/WON does not. The fact that Bryan can't see how cheap and unprofessional their website and handling of the difficulties has been is pretty damning.
I haven't subbed to the Torch since the redesign, but a couple months ago I jumped on for one of their .99 cent specials and while the Torch even then had F4W beat in some ways, in other ways it was a nightmare that F4W has never been. F4W's way of navigating to old content may be clunky, but at least it works. There were times with PWTorch pre-redesign where I'd spend five minutes just clicking on links as shot in the dark guesses, trying to find where the old podcasts I wanted to listen to were filed, only to find dead links a quarter of the time. Torch's message board was also a complete ghost town compared to F4W's, and I don't know why.