F4W/Observer-Is it still worth paying for?

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
rovert

Re: F4W/Observer-Is it still worth paying for?

Post by rovert » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:20 pm

Headbutt Stoppage wrote:Did any of these numerous free sources of wrestling reporting scoop Dave on Randy Orton's shoulder injury, or is that too fresh for someone to claim to have known two weeks ago?
No one doubts that Randy, Bob Sr and Larry Matysik are Dave's remaining sources.

MOJO

Post by MOJO » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:38 pm

I don't know. When was the last time we got any scoops on the St. Louis territory?

BillThompson

Post by BillThompson » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:44 pm

Headbutt Stoppage wrote:Did any of these numerous free sources of wrestling reporting scoop Dave on Randy Orton's shoulder injury, or is that too fresh for someone to claim to have known two weeks ago?
I don;t give two fucks about scoops or who reports what first. I care about the quality of the content being delivered, and in that regard F4W/WON has fallen well behind places like VoW, PWP, and the PTBN-PWO Network.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:58 pm

If it's replaced by something they are more passionate about watching and reviewing, go for it. The Raw recaps were a mundane slough anyway.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:59 pm

DezWalker wrote:First Post, heard about the thread on Talking Sheet.

I do think it's worth the subscription price. For me it's always been about the newsletter and the newsletter is worth more than $10/month, imo. If the audio and/or the Board went away tomorrow, I'd miss them but it's not what I'm paying for.

As someone else said earlier (Dylan, maybe), I enjoy the Observer now for entirely different reasons though. I'm more of an MMA fan but I still love pro wrestling. I enjoy New Japan, ROH and NXT far more than RAW these days (newsflash!). There is a lot of coverage of all of that on the Observer site but I do feel like it's not publicized enough and sometimes you have to work to find it.

I like what I've seen here and the guys involved with the site that I know are all great dudes and I will likely be adding some of the audio here to my regular listening rotation.
Welcome Dez! You're one of the good ones, so you're more than welcome here :D

Benno

Post by Benno » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:25 pm

Less repetitive Raw recaps isn't a negative as long as he's still watching it for the Monday Dave show.

Rob McCarron
VOW Staff Member

Post by Rob McCarron » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:28 pm

The Fray Movement wrote:Bryan just announced no more Bryan/Vinny Raw recaps.

"Dave, take us through what happened...."
I'd much rather have the Bryan & Vinny Raw recaps than the Dave recaps, but I'm sure I'm in the minority. I'm not complaining, I'll get Bryan & Vinny's 10/19/15 Raw recap in 2032.
Shake Them Ropes
iTunes | Stitcher | Twitter |YouTube

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:47 pm

I'd rather Bryan just not review Raw at all. My tolerance for him trotting out the same complaints every week is about the same as my tolerance for dental work sans novacaine. It's not even like when he'd rip TNA where you could get amusement from the absurdity. If you're not talking about something you like or something you don't like but can make it humorous, then why bother? Life is way too short to waste on such things.

The refrain that has emerged from here and elsewhere about the overall quality of wrestling in 2015 (in terms of variety of high quality options) hasn't seeped in there yet and I think it's definitely a major factor in my diminished interest in their product. I'm not saying you have to like everything or not be critical, but being miserable about it (see also Cornette, Jim) is lame. I know some people like it, but some people also like having people beat the shit out of them for their kicks. To each their own.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:53 am

I'm not going to tell Bryan Alvarez how to do a radio show because he makes roughly a bajillion more dollars than I do, and his malaise aside he's an excellent broadcaster.

With that said, if you are going to attempt to do any sort of mainstream wrestling show in 2015, you can not ignore WWE. You just can't. There are weeks that I would like to (and some weeks that we do when nothing is going on), but it would be like covering MMA and ignoring UFC (sup, Eddie Goldman!). So I totally get that watching & covering RAW every week for a decade can wear on a person, and he can't ignore it and just watch PWG & GUTS while viably running his business.

We talk about New Japan a lot, because NJPW has been good since we've been doing the show (2012). We talk about DG because we like it and we're enthusiastic about it. Same for ROH when it's clicking, or NOAH, or anything else. There is this misnomer that we do a "New Japan show" and that we're New Japan homers, but like I say all of the time, if this were 1992 we'd be called AJPW homers and if this were 1993 it would be AAA and if this were 1995 it would be ECW and if this were 2005 it would be ROH... point being, if something is hot or if something is good, and it helps yo be enthusiastic, you should probably talk about it.

Our New Japan coverage helped us grow. The WWE market is flooded. We'd still have 6 listeners if we did RAW recaps every week. People can get that literally anywhere. We will bash TNA or W1 or whatever else stinks when appropriate, but if we were doing 3 hours per week on shit that was terrible, we'd hate our lives and probably would have quit a long time ago. I know F4W has to serve the WWE master, I get it, but Bryan's overall disposition and attitude towards wrestling would be better if he spent some time watching things that he enjoyed. My hunch is that he just doesn't like wrestling very much anymore and can't be bothered to find the good. dave is far more enthusiastic when he does radio with other people and he gets to have a BACK & FORTH discussion about non WWE wrestling.

I'm glad he's dropping the B&V RAW recap. But the problem might be that the listeners at large WANT endless RAW talk. That baffles me. I personally can't sit through ONE RAW recap. Rich & I have never done one and never will. Maybe that's why we punch a clock every morning and Bryan globetrots on our dime. But I truly feel there is a market for an all encompassing wrestling show. Maybe i'm naive. When we stop growing, I'll accept that. We'll see.

MOJO

Post by MOJO » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:11 am

The real problem with what the Bryan and Vinny Raw recaps became is that there isn't a clear enough line between what they do on that show and the Dave show. The Bryan and Vinny should be a fun and light hearted look at the major wrestling shows, rather than an analytical look.

The problem came when the merger happened and Bryan's reaction to doing the Bryan and Vinny Raw recap began to become, "Ugh, do I have to talk about this shit again." Well, yeah. We get that Bryan had to talk about Raw the night before but any podcast that you are unenthusiastic about is a podcast that doesn't need to go out to paying subscribers. It probably doesn't need to go out for free either. Because there's no point in doing it.

Stuff like being vocally disappointed that you "have to" talk about something on a podcast and telling your audience that you're rushing through to get it over with makes your show pointless to listen to.

If Bryan feels like doing Raw recaps on the Bryan and Vinny show is something he "has to" do, then so be it. But put your fucking game face on before you hit the record button and don't whine your way through it.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:31 am

I mean, it's kind of telling that the format of B&V is changing to covering 19 year old shows.

Again, i'm not bashing Bryan here, but he very clearly is not interested in modern wrestling anymore.

Rob McCarron
VOW Staff Member

Post by Rob McCarron » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:31 am

I know how Bryan feels. I'm tired of talking Raw already on STR after only two years, and I only have to talk Raw once a week.

Changing the format to see what works best is perfectly fine. If he sees lower download numbers, he'll reasses, I'm sure. So not a problem taking a shot with a format change, especially if it makes his job easier and provides more varied content.

I feel this is a positive move on his part, big time.
Shake Them Ropes
iTunes | Stitcher | Twitter |YouTube

cheapshot

Post by cheapshot » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:28 am

I think that he's a step in the right direction. I stopped listening to B&V shows due to talking about RAW when I have already heard Dave and Bryan go through the main points a day earlier, coupled with the fact that the sheer amount of more interesting podcasts out-there made it a pointless exercise.

I'd be more inclined to go back to B&V shows if they start telling me Brent Kremen stories again.
wrestlingeye.libsyn.com

Wiretaup

F4W/Observer-Is it still worth paying for?

Post by Wiretaup » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:26 pm

I just don't have an interest in hearing breakdowns of shows from 20 years ago. I think they're at their best when they aren't talking about wrestling at all, honestly.

But I rarely listen B&V these days anyway, so it wouldn't be a big loss.

Morten VH

Post by Morten VH » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:04 pm

Wiretaup wrote:I just don't have an interest in hearing breakdowns of shows from 20 years ago. I think they're at their best when they aren't talking about wrestling at all, honestly.

But I rarely listen B&V these days anyway, so it wouldn't be a big loss.
Dude, what the fuck is going on in your avatar?! :shock: