F4W/Observer-Is it still worth paying for?

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
RobViper13

Re: F4W/Observer-Is it still worth paying for?

Post by RobViper13 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:03 pm

If you follow me on twitter you know I randomly got banned from their message board today for unknown reasons. I had been hearing Bryan was trying to get rid of me for a while since I had 2 strikes & I guess one of the new mods took the chance today knowing I'd get no sympathy or it'd fly under the radar with Bryan's news. It's a little strange it happened 2 weeks after my new billing cycle kicked in though. I'm waiting to hear from any moderator as to what the reasoning is so I can decide whether it was valid or not.

It's really making me reconsider my sub though. I feel like my payment should entitle me to all the perks like reading the board where Dave posts nuggests of info or cool stories sometimes. I also feel like my payment should allow me to get questions asked when I have them such as during the Daniel Bryan situation when I sent in a valid question & Bryan refused to read it on the air. I knew he was going out of his way to ignore all my mailbag questions but figured he'd make an exception this time. No luck. Instead I got an e-mail from Dave the next day answering my question and openly being confused as to why that wasn't asked on his own radio show the night before. I guess that's a little sign into the dynamic there. There was also a time I took offense to the overt racism that goes on over on the board even though there are strict rules against it. I sent my complaint about a remark about Jews to both Dave/Bryan. Bryan laughed it off as me just trying to cause trouble... because you know the guy offended at a slur is trying to cause trouble, not the guy who made the actual comment (and is still a member of their board). Dave privately replied saying he agreed with my anger at the comment.

It'll probably come down to the fact I'm happy to pay Dave for his content but it's just such a bummer half my money goes to Bryan. It's not just the fact I don't respect any of his wrestling opinions. There are lots of personal things I'm aware of that I can't reveal for obvious reasons that really make the guy come off as a total con artist with zero respect for anyone. I really wish Dave wasn't so set in his ways and could find another outlet for his stuff.
"Whoa is me" - BuzzSawyer

supersonic

F4W/Observer-Is it still worth paying for?

Post by supersonic » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:07 am

Bryan doesn't cooperate with folks who have unpleasant reputations. There are a number of questions I sent never read. We aren't entitled to having every question, concern, etc. being addressed. Send tweets to Dave from now on if you have questions.

ODonnell

Post by ODonnell » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:03 am

Bryan gets weird shit sometimes tho. I saw some people on Twitter claiming RACISM for his ACH/Shelton thing, which is just laughable.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:12 am

I think Bryan would like to step away from a lot of what he still does, but is financially unable to do so. That must really suck especially right when you're having a kid.

RobViper13

Post by RobViper13 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:28 am

ODonnell wrote:Bryan gets weird shit sometimes tho. I saw some people on Twitter claiming RACISM for his ACH/Shelton thing, which is just laughable.
Yeah it wasn't racism, it was just stupidity. Laughing at the notion a black athlete would idolize another black athlete was just dumb.

hygogg33

Post by hygogg33 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:27 am

RobViper13 wrote:If you follow me on twitter you know I randomly got banned from their message board today for unknown reasons. I had been hearing Bryan was trying to get rid of me for a while since I had 2 strikes & I guess one of the new mods took the chance today knowing I'd get no sympathy or it'd fly under the radar with Bryan's news. It's a little strange it happened 2 weeks after my new billing cycle kicked in though. I'm waiting to hear from any moderator as to what the reasoning is so I can decide whether it was valid or not.

It's really making me reconsider my sub though. I feel like my payment should entitle me to all the perks like reading the board where Dave posts nuggests of info or cool stories sometimes. I also feel like my payment should allow me to get questions asked when I have them such as during the Daniel Bryan situation when I sent in a valid question & Bryan refused to read it on the air. I knew he was going out of his way to ignore all my mailbag questions but figured he'd make an exception this time. No luck. Instead I got an e-mail from Dave the next day answering my question and openly being confused as to why that wasn't asked on his own radio show the night before. I guess that's a little sign into the dynamic there. There was also a time I took offense to the overt racism that goes on over on the board even though there are strict rules against it. I sent my complaint about a remark about Jews to both Dave/Bryan. Bryan laughed it off as me just trying to cause trouble... because you know the guy offended at a slur is trying to cause trouble, not the guy who made the actual comment (and is still a member of their board). Dave privately replied saying he agreed with my anger at the comment.

It'll probably come down to the fact I'm happy to pay Dave for his content but it's just such a bummer half my money goes to Bryan. It's not just the fact I don't respect any of his wrestling opinions. There are lots of personal things I'm aware of that I can't reveal for obvious reasons that really make the guy come off as a total con artist with zero respect for anyone. I really wish Dave wasn't so set in his ways and could find another outlet for his stuff.
You bitched, moaned and complained in about 95 percent of your posts on the board. You're better off.

RobViper13

Post by RobViper13 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:30 am

It was a fun hobby putting people in place & never going back in a thread to see people losing their mind. There are a lot of terribly misinformed people on that board which is hilarious considering it's a pay site. Are they paying for message board friendships? That part always amused me.

Dave posts stuff on the board that is always a good read so losing out on that sucks & the fact the site is so screwed up sometimes the new WON link goes up on the board before it does on the main page. That could prove bothersome down the line but if you knew what I was going through as we speak trying to get tech support from that site you'd know there's no point even trying to bring this up.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:18 am

RobViper13 wrote:It was a fun hobby putting people in place & never going back in a thread to see people losing their mind.
Not entirely accurate. Your smugness often blinded you into perpetuating a sometimes slanted perspective and isolating yourself from any constructive criticism.
There are a lot of terribly misinformed people on that board which is hilarious considering it's a pay site. Are they paying for message board friendships? That part always amused me.
This is incredibly accurate and why I've branched out to numerous forums, including sending olive branches to ones that had banned me in the past. I'm slowly planting the seeds to becoming a minimal contributor to The Board.

sternness

Post by sternness » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:52 am

Rich Kraetsch wrote:
Hagan wrote:The whole talk about "how much money we made back in the day" drives me nuts.
I always find this point ironic since so many of his peers spend their free time traveling to po-dunk towns across the country to sign pieces of paper for scraps of money.
I always find people trying to say he's wrong about it amusing, because he's not wrong at all. There were more promotions paying out big money in the 1980s than there are now and there's no way around that. Guys being irresponsible with their money doesn't change the fact that they made it. The Rock n Roll Express made six figures at least one time during the 1980s, just because Ricky Morton had his issues doesn't change the fact he made six figures.

To go with an even more recent example than the guys from the 80s; Scott Hall blew a made-for-life fortune on drugs and shit and spends his free time traveling to po-dunk towns across the country to sign pieces of paper for scraps of money...does that change the fact that he made more money than almost everyone involved in wrestling today?

JML

Post by JML » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:18 pm

Even though I haven't been a subscriber for a while now, I always had the free show F4W feed in my ITunes Podcasts and it was good to hear the Adam and Mike Show 10th anniversary show.

They were my guys for following Puro when the PPH was ending and Zach Arnold turned his attention to Fight Opinion. Always liked when Sempervive went on his boxing tangents and them talking about the stuff happening in the last 10 years took me back to memory lane. They were my favorite show on the site and if they come across this : Thank you guys both for the show.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:30 pm

My general annoyance with the site has mostly been Bryan focussed, but Dave's comments about Zack Ryder this morning were incredibly dickish and hypocritical. He essentially shat on him for saying winning the IC title at Mania was the greatest moment of his life. Now, it's possible this was a bs throw away line, but having watching Ryder and how much he seems to care, it may have been at least partially true. Given that, and given how much time Dave has spent on this fake sport, it came across both dickish and in many ways, completely not self aware.

Pickers

Post by Pickers » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:08 pm

The daily updates are appalling.

kcstlchi

Post by kcstlchi » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:26 am

Canceled after 8 years. I'm fine with the TOS for the message board but when I get banned from something I'm paying to access because of what was an obvious, clean joke playing off of other posts, it's time to call it a day.

These are guys who (rightfully) talk about how thin skinned the lucha underground people are, constantly.

You can get news anywhere. Besides Alans shows, there are tons of better podcast options. The board is a joke and not the fun kind like it could be from time to time in the past. That leaves ten dollars to read Daves writing. I can see that being worth it to some people but that just doesn't cut it for me in 2016.

ayaashm

Post by ayaashm » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:07 am

I don't know if you guys have heard it or not, but tremendous psychology discussion by Lance Storm on Figure Four Daily on the Karl Anderson/Gallows vs Usos.
Lanza is a geek.
Twitter : https://twitter.com/drunkonchai/

mprentice84

Post by mprentice84 » Mon May 02, 2016 12:55 pm

I recently resubscribed to the print Observer and am letting my digital lapse in two weeks. I just can't justify paying for the bulk of the audio at this point. Outside of Dave, Tom Lawlor, and Alan's shows, there is much better stuff being done on this site and over at the Torch. I'll always follow Dave and pay for his writing, but i'm over the F4W side of things for now. To replace my board time, i'll be posting here a lot more often and have fired my Twitter account back up as well.