TNA: It still exists, kind of!

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
trebby

Re: TNA 2015: It still exists, kind of!

Post by trebby » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:52 pm

I'm not the type of guy to normally say something like this...but Mike Bennett couldn't even have a good match with Tanahashi. Why the hell am I supposed to believe he's anything close to a "game changer"?

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:58 pm

rollup wrote:
mlev76 wrote:
rollup wrote:was it still the same TNA ?
Pretty much, yes. The same things that were cringe worthy in my opinion (the continued pushing of the name as Impact Wrestling while still calling the titles TNA, Dixie as an onscreen character, sub WWE level segments) are still there. This felt like them wrapping up the loose ends of the DA era rather than a brand new start on a new network. I guess they were somewhat forced to do that, but if you remember the very first Impact back in 2005, the blueprint for a debut show of a non debuting promotion was there. They chose not to use it.

I was able to see the main event this morning and it wasn't bad, wasn't good. EC3 is the obvious choice to book as your lead heel/potential future babyface and I think an eventual EC3/Galloway title feud could be quite entertaining. The one aspect of the main event and the lead up to it that I hated was the involvement of Matt's baby. Felt like a very Sarah Palinesque exploitation and really added nothing to the storyline (at least positively).

I said I'd give them four weeks and on the whole, the first week was decent and they have laid the groundwork for some things I want to see, so it's overall a net positive.
nothing changes i guess :lol:

At this point, no. The Storm return and the Angle Galloway interactions gave me a glimmer of hope, but the rest seems par for the course.

Morten VH

Post by Morten VH » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:57 pm

You know, TNA fans are a different breed of wrestling fan. And there's nothing wrong with that. I think TNA fans just like a style of wrestling, that is very focused on advancing stories fast, and always have something new and exciting happen each week. And that's okay. A lot of us like long and logical storylines, but who are we to say that there's something wrong with liking the TNA style. These fans probably doesn't care about good stories or a good in-ring product. They like something else, that i'm not quite sure what is. Maybe TNA attracts wrestling fans with ADHD?.

Anyways, it's great that there is a product for these types of fans. Just like there's people who loves New Japans repetition, and people who hate it. Just like there's people who loves the flippy style of Lucha, and others hate it. We can shit on a guy as Bennett as much as we want, and i too think he's the most boring ever. But he might very well get over with the TNA audience. I never learn to understand the TNA audience, but i'm just glad there's a place for a guy like Bennett to be liked.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:24 pm

HAS THE RATINGS DROPPED YET?

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:48 pm

Here we go again: http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2016/0 ... -5-review/

Garrett Kidney's review of last night's Impact.

Shining Wiz

Post by Shining Wiz » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:57 pm

PKThree wrote:HAS THE RATINGS DROPPED YET?

I thought all their ratings did was drop.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:03 pm

255,000 viewers, ranked 129th among cable shows for the night with an .08 rating. That's double the last Impact on DA and viewership is up by 100k.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:54 am

God, the reaction to the ratings news is just about the most depressing thing I can think of in the context of wrestling fandom. People seem legitimately happy to see TNA failing while the diehards are looking for anyone and everyone to blame but the management and the creative.

It feels as though the ill thought out war on Meltzer last year was a bridge too far and many who used to be critical but wanted TNA to survive don't consider them worth saving anymore.

JFC3400

Post by JFC3400 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:44 am

TNA's problem is they don't manage expectations with their business partners, talent or prospective fanbase.

When they were booted from Spike, the easiest angle in the world was to play the underdog company that knew it was in a worse spot but was determined to learn from its past mistakes and rebuild. Instead, they booked largely the same show while insisting that they chose to leave Spike for DA.

The POP thing should really have been the same deal. We're on the ground floor of a network that wants wrestling to help it grow over time. Instead, Dixie blamed their problems on DA's reach and allowed the head of the network to believe (and, worse yet, say publicly) that they'll get back to 1.3m viewers in a matter of months because TNA is so popular.

Instead of trying to be a company that everyone roots for, TNA makes people want to see them fail...because they deserve whatever they get. They're basically the 35 year old that has lived at home since college and never had to worry about supporting themselves. Now they're out on their own and have no idea how to earn a living or hold down a job.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:14 am

JFC3400 wrote:TNA's problem is they don't manage expectations with their business partners, talent or prospective fanbase.

When they were booted from Spike, the easiest angle in the world was to play the underdog company that knew it was in a worse spot but was determined to learn from its past mistakes and rebuild. Instead, they booked largely the same show while insisting that they chose to leave Spike for DA.

The POP thing should really have been the same deal. We're on the ground floor of a network that wants wrestling to help it grow over time. Instead, Dixie blamed their problems on DA's reach and allowed the head of the network to believe (and, worse yet, say publicly) that they'll get back to 1.3m viewers in a matter of months because TNA is so popular.

Instead of trying to be a company that everyone roots for, TNA makes people want to see them fail...because they deserve whatever they get. They're basically the 35 year old that has lived at home since college and never had to worry about supporting themselves. Now they're out on their own and have no idea how to earn a living or hold down a job.
I don't take what is said in the press by POP too seriously. Bluster and puffery to the press is fine so long as you are being realistic internally. And frankly, if POP really truly believed they were getting over a million this week, they deserve to be disappointed.

The fanbase and wrestlers, on the other hand, are different. It is clear they've tried and often succeeded at getting them to believe things are better than they are. Moreover, getting both to pick fights against journalists who reported demonstrably true stories is the worst kind of snake oil trickery.

Becoming a legitimately enjoyable lesser alternative to WWE should be their goal. Can they ever get back to a million? It would take a lot of effort to rebuild the trust that they repeatedly broken. The one thing on their side is their talent and their seemingly irrational ability to pay more for bigger talent.

rollup

Post by rollup » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:01 am

TNA had too many second chances and never looked like they are bothered to redeem themselves

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:01 pm

I'd like to see TNA put effort into what made them great in the first place. The Main Event scene was cool and all, but it was the Women's and mid-card (X Division, Tag Teams) matches that made them so amazing. The X-Division was the reason they got all that buzz in the first place. They should also learn from RoH and New Japan and either push promos in the middle of the show and/or after matches and put the A in TNA first.

Often times I feel wrestling fans are too hard on this company, I can't count how many times WWE has misbooked wrestles, offended sensibilities, made creative mistake or just got it all wrong. But because they are the biggest name, they will not get let off the hook (ratings) but be given a five minute time out as opposed to a month being grounded with no dessert. I harbor no ill will to either company and at this point with TNA, what's past is past and nothing can be taken back, they focus on the future and do what it takes to succeed.

greenmanRD

Post by greenmanRD » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:39 pm

They should probably just rebrand the entire show and stop calling something TNA in 2016 because TNA in the mainstream has never meant Total Nonstop Action.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:14 pm

greenmanRD wrote:They should probably just rebrand the entire show and stop calling something TNA in 2016 because TNA in the mainstream has never meant Total Nonstop Action.
No one in the mainstream acknowledges that TNA or Impact Wrestling exists

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:45 pm

Meltzer:
Albert Einstein is often credited with saying, “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.”

Now, there is no evidence Einstein actually said this, but if he lived long enough to watch TNA wrestling, he probably would have.