Smash Wrestling - Canada's answer to superindy

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
dancecab

Smash Wrestling - Canada's answer to superindy

Post by dancecab » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:52 am

So I just purchased Smash on Demand to watch Chris Hero vs. Samoa Joe and I'm very impressed with the promotion. I've been meaning to check them out since they are in my area and have a quality roste but life has not allowed that. But I'm impressed by the first show even if it had one of the silliest spots in a serious match I've ever seen. I'm going back now into the archives to get a better feel for the product.

Anyone take a look at them before?

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Re: Smash Wrestling - Canada's answer to superindy

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:55 am

Last year's Rival Schools show was very good, and is also a free download on their website. Or at least it was.

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:11 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:Last year's Rival Schools show was very good, and is also a free download on their website. Or at least it was.
I believe it still is available for free on the website.

Rivals Schools 2014 being available for free is what actually got me into Smash Wrestling. Started off with Any Given Sunday 2 from January 2014 and have been slowly but surely working my way through most of the year. I've really gotten into the promotion. It's got a great mix of independent talent, and local Canadians like Scotty O'Shea, Brent Banks, & Tarik (formerly Alex Vega). It's also one of the only places you'll see The Super Smash Brothers (since they can't come to the US). They've had consistently good shows throughout 2014. Next on my list is Challenge Accepted from last November, which has the Brent Banks/Scotty O'Shea Ambulance Match that I'm really looking forward to watching (just have to find the time).

Speaking of Chris Hero (as mentioned in the original post), his ALS Infinity Gauntlet Challenge that he did in conjunction with Smash Wrestling is going to be released soon to the public. For those who haven't heard about it, he basically wrestled for over three straight hours (the exact amount of time he wrestled corresponded to the amount of donations that were received) for ALS. He ended up wrestling 17 or 18 matches in a row. Here's the trailer:

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:12 pm

DXvsNWO wrote: Rivals Schools 2014 being available for free is what actually got me into Smash Wrestling. Started off with Any Given Sunday 2 from January 2014 and have been slowly but surely working my way through most of the year. I've really gotten into the promotion. It's got a great mix of independent talent, and local Canadians like Scotty O'Shea, Brent Banks, & Tarik (formerly Alex Vega). It's also one of the only places you'll see The Super Smash Brothers (since they can't come to the US). They've had consistently good shows throughout 2014. Next on my list is Challenge Accepted from last November, which has the Brent Banks/Scotty O'Shea Ambulance Match that I'm really looking forward to watching (just have to find the time).
I watched a couple matches from that show. Mainly the ACH match and the Kyle O'Reilly and those really sold me on the promotion. I have yet to watch the full show but now that I am slowly going from Any Given Sunday 2 (a recommendation Smash twitter made as a starting point) I'm eventually going to. I just finished Any Given Sunday 2 and it was a fun show. I ended up really into Scotty O'Shea and Gregory Irons after that show. Both of them are really good professional wrestlers. I honestly thought Gregory Iron's was just a gimmick but I ended up really enjoying his match with Dux. As for O'shea, his gimmick I thought would make him pretty laughable but he's very good. It was an awesome show. I'm trying to watch was much as I can before I go to Rival Schools 2015. Pretty good card I should say. I love their gimmick of doing shows before WWE ppvs and then showing their ppvs to the live crowd. It's pretty brilliant.

Rival Schools 2015
Matt Cross vs. Tarik (I Quit Match)
Chris Hero vs. Rich Swann
Scotty O'Shea vs. Johnny Gargano (c)
The Overdogs vs. Drew Gulak & Biff Busick
Super Smash Brothers vs. The Goat Brigade (Tables Match)
Vanessa Kraven vs. Candice LeRae
Takaaki Watanabe vs. Tyson Dux
Brent Banks vs. Kevin Bennett

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:43 pm

I attended Rival Schools on sunday and really enjoyed the show all in all. Swann vs. Hero was pretty great to know suprise. It may be the live over rate but I would put it at 4 to 4.25 stars. I really enjoyed it despite some little mishaps. I enjoyed Gargano and O Shea as well and would put that about 3.75. Gargano played the role of slimy heel well. This is the first time im seeing him in person and he truly interacts with the audience well. Im going to give both matches a rewatch before nomination for match of the month. I would suggest watching those two matches though as they were very strong as well as LeRae vs. Krave because although I'd put it at 3 star range it sets things up nicely for Super Showdown.

Spoilers below if you wish to watch the show first.

The big angle coming out was a masked man has joined fourth Gunn and a fairly tall one at that. My thoughts was that it was Hero but Hero came out with the Overdogs, Cross and Dux to run them off.I have absolutely no idea who this man could be but I am very interested in seeing how things progress at the next show.

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:22 pm

Confirmed for Super Showdown 3
Tarik vs. Chris Hero
Brett Banks vs. Facade
Johnny Gargano (c) vs. Candice Larea - Smash Championship

How many times has Gargano wrestled Candice?

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:36 pm

Once at BOLA, once during AIW's September weekend last year, and once in a tag in PWG. They're also wrestling the week before this show at AIW's Battle of the Sexes II.

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:34 pm

I guess I have to watch last year's BOLA. I never got around finishing it after I found out who won. Probabbly a good idea if I'm going to BOLA this year.

MarcMadison

Post by MarcMadison » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:56 am

Biggest regret was purchasing tickets to Art of War & unfortunately not being able to attend. I hope to attend a show in the Fall.

LaRue/Gargano are incredibly talented. Big things are on the horizon for both.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:26 am

Well worth taking 10 minute to watch, and I usually think Lee stinks.

themib

Post by themib » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:27 pm

The full lineups for this year's CANUSA Classic have been confirmed for September 13th:

CANADA: Courtney Rush, Jennifer Blake, Vanessa Kraven, Portia Perez, Nicole Matthews, Jewells Malone, Xandra Bale and KC Spinelli
USA: Cherry Bomb, Kimber Lee, Jessicka Havok, Allysin Kay, Sassy Stephie, Candice LeRae, Heidi Lovelace and Veda Scott

The only confirmed match so far is a dream tag with the Canadian Ninjas (Nicole Matthews & Portia Perez) vs. the Kimber Bombs (Cherry Bomb & Kimber Lee).

SammyJ_D

Post by SammyJ_D » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:48 pm

Is that...is that an actual "dream tag"? There's a good chance I'm just on a different planet on this stuff. Didn't know Kimber Bombs were held in THAT high esteem.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:59 pm

SammyJ_D wrote:Is that...is that an actual "dream tag"? There's a good chance I'm just on a different planet on this stuff. Didn't know Kimber Bombs were held in THAT high esteem.
I would have figured that match happened about a thousand times already.

And imagine Kimber Lee being part of any sort of "dream match" scenario.

themib

Post by themib » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:50 pm

It's never happened straight up, though they did meet in a six woman tag at the WWN show. It's considered as the top female team of the decade so far against the current top female team. Wasn't just me super excited for it when it was announced.

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:10 pm

themib wrote:It's never happened straight up, though they did meet in a six woman tag at the WWN show. It's considered as the top female team of the decade so far against the current top female team. Wasn't just me super excited for it when it was announced.
I'm sorta of meh to it. I am less then impressed of Kimber Lee from what ive seen in the past with the exception of her match with Candice. Then again I don't really follow indy women's wrestling. I am still undecided about going to the Canusa show especially since I come back from LA that week. Between Smash Showdown this week and going to LA for BOLA just can't see myself putting the money down for another show so soon especially with a roster I'm largely unfamiliar with.

So here's my question of th day. Do we think Larae is taking the title this weekend? With the recent speculation on Gargano plus the fact that he would be absent from the promotion til October due to Canusa and wouldn't be able to drop it next month if he is going to NXT, I see it being very likely. I think that new member of Fourth Gunn is also being primed as Gargano's replacement in the stable. Obviously they could run some angle and have someone challenge him after the Candice match and take the strap off of him that way, I just can't help but think it's very likely she wins this match.