Evolve (WWNLive)

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Re: Evolve (WWNLive)

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:05 pm

Grammarian wrote:In general, I don't think Evolve gets discussed enough in some of the more well-known wrestling sites, podcasts, newsletters. It's getting left out of a lot of the discussions of the huge wrestling/mma weekend. Considering the relationship with WWE and the talent used on these shows, as well as Cody's debut, I'd think it would get a bit more coverage. Plus, the shows this year have gotten a lot of buzz. I should point out that I'm not including VoW in this criticism.
I don't think there was a single word in the Observer this week about EVOLVE which is shocking. I think only the Super J Cup has me more amped this weekend.

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:09 pm

Based on my TL you'd think Evolve and NJPW are the biggest promotions in the world. I need to get outside of the bubble a bit more.

themib

Post by themib » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:08 pm

The Torch mentioned it, but only after getting prodded. No mention WHATSOEVER in F4W land.

Uhaacrewz

Post by Uhaacrewz » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:31 am

So any thoughts on how Cody Rhodes looked tonight? Did he live up to this WWE dropped the ball big time hype that he's been getting since leaving WWE?

ManuRomero90

Post by ManuRomero90 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:12 am

Cody looked fine, he didn´t set the world on fire but he has the potential to do good in the indies, we will see tomorrow vs Hero.

EVOLVE 66 was good, first 3 matches were disappointing (Ethan Page vs DUSTIN in particular) but things picked up after Nese vs Gulak, Thatcher vs Riddle was great, best performance of both this year.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:33 am

Did Cody look better than Albright a decade ago?

King Of Indy Style

Post by King Of Indy Style » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:05 am

Anyone have a clip of Cody's new finish?

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:09 am

A little disappointing, honestly, but everything was solid. Riddle/Thatcher made my match of the night for me at about ***3/4.

Eddie

Evolve (WWNLive)

Post by Eddie » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:56 pm

Last nights show was so hot and miss. I really enjoyed Riddle/End on ZSJ/Cedric, but then the show just got progressively worse.

Rhodes/Hero was fine, nothing special. I wouldn't fault Cody too much for it not being great, as it didn't look too different to your usual Hero match.

The last two matches were so, so bad. After a very good match the night before, Thatcher absolutely sucked here. Gulak is generally ok at adapting to other people's style sort of well, but when he wrestles someone so similar he's very hard to watch. I never want to see these two guys wrestle each other ever again. Awful stuff.

The main event was also just as bad. Total mess of a match.

van Fair

Post by van Fair » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:24 pm

Everyone already kind of knew it, but this weekend really hammered home the point Joe and Rich made on the podcast. Thatcher has been passed by everyone else on the roster and is simply not capable of adjusting his style. At times he seems to actively avoid getting a reaction from the crowd, which in wrestling is completely ludicrous. It is one thing if GSP lies on the mat for five rounds and retains his title, because MMA is about getting the win. The whole point of wrestling being predetermined is so that you can get a better reaction out of the crowd. That was literally the reason why worked matches became a thing.

I had a suspicion that Thatcher would retain because wXw already announced him defending the Evolve Championship on their next show in Hamburg. Of course that could have meant nothing, but there was also no reason to announce the match as a title match in the first place as the guy Thatcher is facing is not a big deal yet.

It's a dilapidated boat! - Matt Hardy 2016

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:09 am

Evolve announced returns to Ybor City, Florda on October 16th, and Joppa, Maryland on November 13th. NXT GM William Regal will be attending a WWN Seminar/Tryout before the former.

Also, the full card has been announced for Evolve 68:
The Main Event - Johnny Gargano's Last Singles Match In EVOLVE - Battle Of The Aces
Johnny Gargano vs. Zack Sabre Jr.

Grudge Match #1
EVOLVE Tag Team Champion Drew Galloway vs. Drew Gulak

Grudge Match #2
EVOLVE Tag Team Champion DUSTIN vs. Tracy Williams

NEW MATCH: Special Challenge Match
Jigsaw vs. Fred Yehi

NEW MATCH: EVOLVE 66 Rematch
Matt Riddle vs. Tony Nese

NEW MATCH: Special Attraction Match #1
TJ Perkins with Stokely Hathaway vs. Darby Allin

NEW MATCH: Special Attraction Match #2
Ethan Page vs. Dan Barry

ManuRomero90

Post by ManuRomero90 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:38 am

That card looks pretty good, all matches are interesting to me, glad to see more of Darby Allin and happy they are using Jigsaw again

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:37 pm

Full Card for Evolve 69:
Tag Team Grudge Match - Farewell To An Icon
Johnny Gargano & Cody Rhodes vs. EVOLVE Tag Team Champion Drew Galloway & Chris Hero

Bonus Main Event
Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Ricochet

Special Challenge Match
Matt Riddle vs. TJ Perkins w/ Stokely Hathaway

NEW MATCH: Grudge Match
EVOLVE Tag Team Champion DUSTIN vs. Drew Gulak

NEW MATCH: New Talent Test
Tony Nese vs. Darby Allin

NEW MATCH: New Talent Test
Ethan Page vs. David Starr

Plus more to be announced with Tracy Williams, Fred Yehi and others!!!
Also...
We are very excited to announce that Joey Styles will appear at EVOLVE 68 on September 10th in Deer, Park, NY and EVOLVE 69 on September 11th in Queens, NY. Styles will be available for pictures and autographs at both events. Styles will also appear on the live events. What will Joey's role be on the shows? He has expressed a desire to "give back" and share his knowledge. We'll find out what this means at the live events. Tickets are now on sale in the DGUSA.tv Store.

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:41 pm

I would love to see a big WWE name show up unannounced at Evolve for a show. In the vein of big arena music acts playing unannounced small club shows.

ManuRomero90

Post by ManuRomero90 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:18 pm

I hope David Starr does good against Ethan Page, would love to see him become a regular for EVOLVE.