Evolve (WWNLive)

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Re: Evolve 2015

Post by Joe Lanza » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:19 pm

rovert wrote:
Rottenrocker wrote:Hopefully ROH signs Gresham in the near future. He's an underrated talent who needs to be seen by more people.
You need to make your bookings to be seen.
Or be booked, period. Nuclear heat by association from his girlfriend doesn't help (tbf, I have no idea if they are still a thing). I personally know of friends of hers that promoters don't want in their locker room, that's how deep the heat runs.

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:10 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
rovert wrote:
Rottenrocker wrote:Hopefully ROH signs Gresham in the near future. He's an underrated talent who needs to be seen by more people.
You need to make your bookings to be seen.
Or be booked, period. Nuclear heat by association from his girlfriend doesn't help (tbf, I have no idea if they are still a thing). I personally know of friends of hers that promoters don't want in their locker room, that's how deep the heat runs.
Wait, who is his girlfriend?

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:18 pm

Evolve has announced that they're going to put more emphasis on tag teams, in the lead up to the potential Evolve Tag Team Titles. One of the ways they're doing this is pitting established teams against "Super Teams" (a team of two star singles wrestlers), as you'll see by the Main Event of Evolve 49:

- Evolve Champion Timothy Thatcher & TJ Perkins vs. Roppongi Vice
- #1 Contender's Match - Drew Gulak vs. Trevor Lee
- High-Flyers Freestyle Match - Anthony Nese (with SoCal Val) vs. Andrew Everett vs. Matt Cage vs. Peter Kassa
- Tracy Williams vs. Willie Mack
- Matt Riddle vs. Jonathan Gresham

Also signed are Caleb Konley (with SoCal Val), Ethan Page, and others.

Additionally, Drew Galloway will be making his return to Evolve on their next set of shows in Florida on November 6th in Ybor City, Florida and November 7th in Orlando, Florida.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:35 pm

Makes announcement that they are going to move away from tag teams to focus on singles. Makes announcement about focusing on tag teams a couple of months later.....

Make up your mind.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:29 pm

There is A LOT of talent on that EVOLVE 49 show. Top to bottom there really isn't any dudes outside of maybe Riddle just because we have no idea where he's at. Not the biggest Thatcher fan obviously but definitely respect that he's a great talent. Looks like a solid card all-around though the main event doesn't do a whole lot for me, even if I like 3/4 guys in it. Just don't see it working very well in a tag setting, hope I'm wrong!

BillThompson

Post by BillThompson » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:26 pm

How was Gabe with tag teams in RoH? Cause in EVOLVE he just doesn't seem to understand that not every tag match needs to be an overlong schmozz. Or in the case of PAB, an overbooked and overlong schmozz.

cbacon87

Post by cbacon87 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:55 pm

On the face of it, Dickinson versus former UFC fighter might be the least intriguing match to me anyone could book. I'm strangely willing to give Riddle a chance just because he looks interesting from Google Image searching him (as opposed to a generic MMA fighter look) and apparently might be a bit of a laugh. But that Dickinson match could be real bad.

Tim Cooke

Post by Tim Cooke » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:21 pm

Gabe was not good with tag teams in ROH. Probably his biggest flaw as a booker during that run. Couldn't establish teams and get them over. The 2005 Trios Tournament was the weakest peak ROH show that I attended (saw a couple of stinkers from 2007-2008).

cbacon87

Post by cbacon87 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:48 pm

To be fair, the best Gabe-era teams were either in a main event position or got there along the way (Aries and Strong, Briscoes) and he had some good tag feuds (obviously the Briscoes/Steen+Generico one, SCS/Prophecy), so if he's going to do a tag division then 'super teams' might be the best way of doing it.

(Although whether that's cause and effect and/or you give Gabe credit for great teams being great, I don't know)

Might be better to do long main event tags with singles guys than, as Bill said, long middle of the card tags with PAB.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:08 pm

I'd say cbacon87 is right on the money w/r/t Gabe's tag teams in ROH. He was horrible at developing secondary, lower card tag teams — they were almost nonexistent and when they did get traction, it was short lived. (Lest we forget the great Bravado Brothers or The Carnage Crew). He really thrived in creating super teams with established guys who had nothing to do for awhile and that seems to be a little bit of what he's trying here.

He was also really, really good at putting BJ Whitmer into a random team and having them hold the title for a long ass time. It really wasn't until the Kings of Wrestling that I started to really enjoy organic ROH tag matches.

H.U.S.T.L.E.

Post by H.U.S.T.L.E. » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:32 pm

It's also pretty telling that the high mark for the tag division in ROH was after Gabe left - you had the Briscoes, American Wolves, Kings of Wrestling & Wrestling's Greatest Tag Team all in the company in pretty high profile spots at the same time.

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:46 pm

Here's the card for Evolve 50:

- Evolve Title - Timothy Thatcher vs. Drew Gulak/Trevor Lee
- The Premiere Athlete Brand (Anthony Nese & Caleb Konley with SoCal Val) vs. Roppongi Vice
- Willie Mack vs. Drew Gulak/Trevor Lee
- TJ Perkins vs. Tracy Williams
- Matthew Riddle vs. Chris Dickinson

Also signed include Andrew Everett, Ethan Page, Matt Cage, & Peter Kassa.

Additionally, Timothy Thatcher, TJ Perkins, Drew Gulak & Tracy Williams join Drew Galloway as the first list of talents signed to appear at Evolve 51 & Evolve 52 in Florida in November.

duyarvish

Post by duyarvish » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:32 pm

Usually I'm more then happy to go to the Evolve Long Islnd shows but this one looks painfully mediocre. Maybe I'll go get day of GA tickets but this is definitely not one that looks worth shelling out 30 bucks to see

Hollaplaya

Post by Hollaplaya » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:56 am

Why no Gargano on these next shows?

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:31 am

insert constant wwe rumors here.

But honestly: No idea.