WWE Battleground 2015

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Re: WWE Battleground 2015

Post by BoxingRobes » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:22 pm

Since Lesnar was re-signed...he's lost the title, sent home, only clean win comes against Kofi Kingston at a House Show, and gets beat up by the Brothers of Destruction on more than one occasion.

greenmanRD

Post by greenmanRD » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:02 pm

I think the thing I realized after last night is that Cena's never actually losing the belt by being pinned or submitted, he'll lose it because someone else got pinned. I remember after Wrestlemania how cool it is that he is going to be US Champion because they can elevate guys in the mid card to being near or at his level. Now it's become apparent that he'll never get pinned or submitted for that title in any match, even if it's a rematch after Summerslam.

I'm going to guess that at Summerslam we see a 3 way with Cena, Owens and Cesaro, or a 4 way with Rusev added. One of Owens or Rusev is getting pinned for Cesaro to win the title, they do Cena/Cesaro at Night of Champions (or maybe Cena gets screwed by his next program at Summerslam, deflecting his attention away from the US Title and he never invokes his rematch clause) and Cena ends up getting screwed out of the title so his next program can begin. Which will leave Owens as a lame duck, Cesaro as a lame duck champion and the US Title goes back to being a nothing belt because it will hardly get any air time.

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:06 pm

For some reason I watched Steen/Cena even after knowing exactly what kind of match it'd be. Terrible shit, another DUD from those two.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:13 pm

Chismo wrote:For some reason I watched Steen/Cena even after knowing exactly what kind of match it'd be. Terrible shit, another DUD from those two.

y2chae

Post by y2chae » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:24 pm

End of the show made no sense.

Taker returning is always going to get a pop from the crowd. Yet they basically had him play the heel.

Why is Taker attacking Brock anyway? His is avenging his Mania loss a year and 3 months later? Why wouldn't he have attacked Brock at WM31 when they were in the same building? WWE: where logic doesn't exist.

Mike

Post by Mike » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:26 pm

I thought, finish to the main event aside, it was maybe as a whole my second favorite WWE PPV this year after WrestleMania in terms of top to bottom action. Everything was at least good in-ring, though bad finishes. The finish killed the second fave PPV feelings from me but I didn't hate it as others apparently did.

PTP/New Day had some great spots with them just having zero regard for each other. I loved it.

DylanWaco

Post by DylanWaco » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:29 pm

Booking of the show stunk. I enjoyed a lot of the wrestling. I will say that The Undertaker thing and The Divas match seemed to get over huge with every casual/non-obsessive hardcore I know. You can take that however you want.

Wish the PTPs would get a double team finish, because they are really close to being a great team. Bray v. Reigns is one of the weirdest matches Iv'e seen in a while as the bad stuff was poorly agented nonsense, but on the whole I thought it was good bordering on very good. Kind of feel the same way about Sheamus v. Orton though I hated the finish. Didn't like Owens v. Cena at all, felt like the worst of the worst of finish spamming, nearfall collecting, trash. No thanks. Brock just comes across as a complete waste of money to me now.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:31 pm

In-ring action was fantastic. I'd have to think about it a bit more but Mike may be on the right path of it being the 2nd best in-ring WWE PPV this year.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:44 pm

I'd fall well short of saying "fantastic"...I think the fact that nothing in particular outright stunk is a good step forward for most "special events"...but, nothing popped off the screen, IMO. I liked Owens-Cena as it was happening, but it quickly got to the point of eye rolls as the finish was being set up...Owens tapping was obvious by the end and I was handwaving it. I settled in at ***3/4- (yes, with the patented Larry "-") for that as the best in show. Everything floated in that **3/4 to ***1/2 star range otherwise...which means, everything was better than basic RAW fodder which, it should be.

The lone bright spot that I got from this event from a booking perspective is that they seemingly will give the chicks a chance to work longer format matches at least in the short term. Brie Bella was utter trash, but they at least just kept kicking her to keep her down for most of the match and they let Sasha and Charlotte work. With that said, I think rovert hit the nail of the head in regards to seeing how these matches come off on the big show without having a chance to practice them at house shows. There was definitely some slop in there, but it was a strong main roster chicks match.

maggot

Post by maggot » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:01 pm

AdamAFL wrote: When Brock has made his money and 'Taker finally decides to retire what the hell are they going to rely on? They've relied on old stars for so long at the expense of the young guys that when these older guys finally hang it up they'll have a damaged roster none of whom can draw a dime. Ludicrous.
This is a great point. It's still just about manageable right now, but there will come a point where the icons of the Attitude Era will be too decrepit to participate in a match and the company will have absolutely nothing to fall back on.

A pet peeve of mine is JBL's constant nonsensical points. Last night John Cena hit his trademark top rope leg drop on Owens, who proceeded to kick out. "When have you ever seen anyone kick out of that?", JBL asked. Um, dude, all the time...

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:12 pm

BoxingRobes wrote:I'd fall well short of saying "fantastic"...I think the fact that nothing in particular outright stunk is a good step forward for most "special events"...but, nothing popped off the screen, IMO. I liked Owens-Cena as it was happening, but it quickly got to the point of eye rolls as the finish was being set up...Owens tapping was obvious by the end and I was handwaving it. I settled in at ***3/4- (yes, with the patented Larry "-") for that as the best in show. Everything floated in that **3/4 to ***1/2 star range otherwise...which means, everything was better than basic RAW fodder which, it should be.
I've said time and time again my ideal shows are everything fitting into the same general level of competence versus really high highs but really low lows. Nothing was great on this show but everything was solid and that get's a major thumbs up from me. I probably like the tag title match better than most but I thought that was one of the best WWE tags I've seen in quite some time. Women's match wasn't amazing but it was good enough and probably in the upper echelon of Divas PPV matches in history (think about it). The show would've been greatly helped by an actual good main event match between Lesnar/Rollins. What they were doing up until the Taker interference was just kinda there and not up to the level either is capable of, that hurts it a bit but not much.

Fantastic may be strong but I thought everything was really good and it was one of the easiest, most balanced WWE "special events" of the Network era.

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:39 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:
Chismo wrote:For some reason I watched Steen/Cena even after knowing exactly what kind of match it'd be. Terrible shit, another DUD from those two.
Two indie guys work a match like that, they get labeled spot monkeys. Owens and Cena do it, they get ****1/2.

Drew Wardlaw

Post by Drew Wardlaw » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:22 pm

I haven't seen anyone bring up the fact that SHEAMUS HAS A SEPTUM PIERCING. At this point Sheamus is an astral projection of every wrestling heel fantasy I've ever had.

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:33 am

Rich Kraetsch wrote:In-ring action was fantastic. I'd have to think about it a bit more but Mike may be on the right path of it being the 2nd best in-ring WWE PPV this year.
I'm leaning this way a little bit as well. It's so weird, because when I think about the show, I don't think any of the matches for me were under *** (expect for the Main Event), but obviously the booking & some of the finishes left much to be desired.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:32 pm

DXvsNWO wrote:
Rich Kraetsch wrote:In-ring action was fantastic. I'd have to think about it a bit more but Mike may be on the right path of it being the 2nd best in-ring WWE PPV this year.
I'm leaning this way a little bit as well. It's so weird, because when I think about the show, I don't think any of the matches for me were under *** (expect for the Main Event), but obviously the booking & some of the finishes left much to be desired.
I thought the booking of the main event was fine, but was definitely down on Cena/Owens. Post Raw, I think the main event booking looks even better and I understand the booking of Cena/Owens more. I just hope Owens gets something decent at Summerslam and/or wins the title pre Summerslam