WWE Battleground 2015

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
SammyJ_D

Re: WWE Battleground 2015

Post by SammyJ_D » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:11 am

Robareid wrote:I don't think they have been the same. The triple threat was completely different, and the Reigns one started off similar to the Cena matches but evolved very differently. He's using the same limited moveset, but the matches feel very different to me.
Completely agree. Actually not sure how the matches were all that similar. Feels like saying something along the lines of "Virus has these great title matches but when do they JUST become great mat exchanges with wonderful stretches of STUFF?"

Max Traction

Post by Max Traction » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:29 am

The Fray Movement wrote: Actually this might bring up a completely different point, and I'm not sure if this is the place to discuss it, but since Summerslam 2014, each Brock Lesnar match, albeit great, has been exactly the same. At what point do his matches go from "OH MY GOD INCREDIBLE" to "Oh this is just becoming a trope for Brock to rely on over and over again?"
How many matches has Brock had since Summerslam? 3? Night of Champions hinted that he *could* be beaten; the Royal Rumble match made Rollins look like more of a legit contender than anything he's done since he actually won the title; and Wrestlemania established Reigns as a main event contender and Rollins as crafty genius (poor booking since that match notwithstanding).

I don't think it's a "trope" as much as a style his matches have—the way he wrestles and the way his character is presented. And if it is a trope, I think there's still life in it. In an industry that will and has milked tropes for literally decades, I think matches where your top guy demolishes their two or three closest contenders in pseudo-squashes have been so rare as to remain interesting for the forseeable future. There is a potential matchup with every decent star on the WWE roster, built around what their unique approach is to taking on this trope.

Yikes, got a bit ranty. tl;dr: The guy's had three matches since Summerslam, let him run with this trope a bit longer before we start criticising him for it

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:09 pm

After CZW, I'm wary to again be optimistic for a show only to be let down, but I am actually looking forward to this show if just for the big two matches and the prospect of Taker or Sting.

WWE must love St. Louis too for PPVs. Survivor Series last year, this show, and Fast Lane in February.

Leo C

Post by Leo C » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:21 am

Brock's match should be fun, Cena/Owens also. Only two matches I'm really looking forward to although as much as WWE's booking sucks, PPVs are normally much better than TV due to match quality alone.

rovert

Post by rovert » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:46 am

Following Ryback’s forced withdrawal from Battleground earlier this week with a staph infection, WWE has announced that the entire Intercontinental Title match has been pulled from WWE Battleground.

Ryback had been initially been set to defend against Big Show and Miz, and while the graphic had been pulled from the Battleground page of WWE.com, there had been no confirmation about final plans for the match until now.
A Divas match was never announced either.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:06 am

As someone reviewing the show, I feel like I caught a break now that Miz/Big Show/The Ryback won't be happening.

rovert

Post by rovert » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:08 am

Cesaro vs Rusev was just on Smackdown. But I hope they just put Cesaro out there to fill time.

Mogel

Post by Mogel » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:17 am

So is something else getting added to the card or are they just gonna give the time to the other matches? Lord help us if they use Sheamus/Orton or Wyatt/Reigns headlock spots to fill time.
THE CAPTAIN Image YOUR CAPTAIN

rovert

Post by rovert » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:36 am

WWE NXT Women's champion Sasha Banks, Charlotte and Becky Lynch were all brought into St. Louis for the WWE Battleground PPV, so it appears they may be involved in a segment on the show. With the Intercontinental championship bout pulled from the show due to Ryback's injury, WWE certainly has time to fill on the show.

Interesting to note that WWE Hall of Famer Ric Flair is also in town for the PPV.
Bexleground!!!!!!

AdamAFL

Post by AdamAFL » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:00 pm

The undercard looks woeful but I am excited for the top two matches. Since the middle of last year I've been on an almost PPV-only streak for WWE (I've seen bits and pieces on YT such as Zayn, Owens and the NXT 3's debut and caught matches such as Cesaro/Cena & Cesaro/Rusev/Owens but I've not watched a full RAW in almost a year) so my knowledge of how badly Rollins has been booked is limited. But him vs. Brock has stood out as a dream match of mine since Rollins threatened to cash-in at NoC last year, and their Rumble triple threat only cemented that fact. So I am looking forward to the match. Owens/Cena III should be good too. Their first match was excellent and, although their second one seemed like a major step down, I'm expecting good things from this one too. That and anything happening with the Women's Division has my interest. I can envisage having to occupy myself with other things during the undercard though - maybe FM15, I haven't been able to play as much recently due to work and I'm itching to get back to that Hearts save :P.

rovert

Post by rovert » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:05 pm

Ignore Sting, Undertaker and the NXT Women:
A Lana and Dolph Ziggler vs. Summer Rae and Rusev Mixed Tag Team match is advertised for a September 4th WWE live event.
Likely the Summerslam match.

Sandra the seamstress said she is working on gear for Lana:

Apparently it will be a business suit that Lana can wrestle/bump in.

DETROIT_KEJB

Post by DETROIT_KEJB » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:06 pm

Brock v Seth is going to be overbooked. Maybe even more so than the average Rollins title defense. While its hard to not be stoked on a Brock Lesnar match, I think this might end up being one of his worst matches since he came back.

Owens and Cena is going to be a good match but as everyone has stated, they are rushing this whole program.

Everything else is snooze.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:12 pm

VOW buzz-o-meter may be all-time low for this bad boy. Seriously, we're hours away from Brock Lesnar getting a world title shot and it's crickets across the internet w/r/t that match. All the talk is WHO IS GOING TO SHOW UP, UNDERTAKER, etc.

greenmanRD

Post by greenmanRD » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:27 pm

I'm pretty excited for the show but more so for the possible appearances than anything else.

This seems like a show where the three main matches all don't have clean finishes to set up matches for Summerslam.

Nathaniel Ledger

Post by Nathaniel Ledger » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:15 pm

I was going to stay up and watch this live but fuck it, I'll check out Owens-Cena, probably Lesanr-Rollins. Rollins looked unreal at the Rumble, like a successor to Shawn Michaels. Now, he's nearly a comedy act. Just not invested in anything on this show. Hell, who even watches a whole Raw anymore?

WWE tends to look even worse at this time of year with the G1 on at the same time.