PWG (Pro Wrestling Guerilla)

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
John The Drummer

Re: PWG (Pro Wrestling Guerilla)

Post by John The Drummer » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:22 am

Is this the first time in a while (or first time) that PWG has had their World CHamp in the tournament?

King Of Indy Style

Post by King Of Indy Style » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:17 am

John The Drummer wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:22 am
Is this the first time in a while (or first time) that PWG has had their World CHamp in the tournament?
It's not the first time, but it's not very common. Zack was in BOLA as champ in 2016. I don't recall it happening a whole lot, though.

Tim_dawg

Post by Tim_dawg » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:28 am

King Of Indy Style wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:17 am
John The Drummer wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:22 am
It's not the first time, but it's not very common. Zack was in BOLA as champ in 2016. I don't recall it happening a whole lot, though.
Actually it isn't that uncommon. In fact twice the PWG Champion has made it to the finals(Hero in 08, and Steen in 11)

Tim_dawg

Post by Tim_dawg » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:29 am

So the stats I did earlier was to shed a light on this year's tournament and how fast the indys change. These ones are way less useful, but kinda intresting (to me anyway)

-Ricochet is the only wrestler to have won two BOLA's.

-CIMA and Elgin are the only two wrestlers to make the finals in consecutive years, making Elgin the only wrestler to lose in the finals in consecutive years.

-CIMA and Scurll have the record for most eliminations in a single BOLA with five, as they are the only two competitors to record both eliminations in a final.

-Chris Hero and Roderick Strong are the only two wrestlers to make the finals three times, however in 2014 Strong was never eliminated as the finals was one fall to a finish, which means Hero is the only guy to lose three times in the finals, making him statistically the least successful person in BOLA finals history.

-Chuck Taylor is the least successful competitor in BOLA history, as he has entered four times and has never won a match.

-Low Ki and Chris Bosh are statisticly the best BOLA competitors, and the only two without a tournament loss.

-Roderick Strong holds records for most BOLA entries and consecutive BOLA entries with nine.

-Fit Finaly is the oldest person to ever enter BOLA at age 53 years old.

-Candice Lerae is the only woman to enter BOLA she defeated Swann, making Swann the only person to be defeated by a female competitor, and Johnny Gargano the only person to defeat a female competitor.

Geography lesson:

-Five continents have been represented in BOLA: North America, Europe, Asia, Australia, Africa

-Thirteen countries have been represented in BOLA: US, Mexico, Canada, England, Wales, Austria, Australia, New Zealand, Scotland, Ireland, Switzerland, Netherlands, South Africa. Add Russia to that list after this year.

-Eight of thirteen finals matches have featured international talent, and six have won the tournament.

-Canada has been represented at six BOLA finals: 07(El Generico), 09(Omega), 11(Steen, Generico), 12(Elgin), 13(Elgin,O'Reilly), 15(Bailey).

-Canada has also produced three BOLA winners(Omega, Generico, O'Reilly)

-Kayfabe wise the state of Florida is tied with Ohio with the most times represented in the finals. However with Cole actually from Pennsylvania and Strong not being eliminated in 2014, Ohio is the least successful state in BOLA finals history with 4 eliminations; Hero(08, 10, 15) and Gargano(14) and zero BOLA winners.

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:31 pm

I don't entirely disagree with the lads using this as evidence that the US talent is thin now, but they are right that new stars are gonna be made in the mainstream. I do think it'll mostly be the people who should've been stars but weren't given opportunities. Like, Darby Allin should've been booked by every single company on earth two years ago, but promoters dragged their feet. David Starr has been a BITW level worker and is basically already a star, but PWG was just a bit late to the game. DJZ is a similar situation, where he's basically booked everywhere already, but PWG just finally got around to it. Even the returning US guys (Riddle, Janela, Cobb, Thatcher) are all already household names.

If anything, it's the international talent that more of has to "prove" themselves as stars. Puma is awesome, but is he going to be booked around the US more than just the Powerbomb.tv promotions? Is this Ilja's big break outside of wXw? The aussies have a lot to prove, Brookes has to impress considering the state of the UK scene......... it's almost more interesting to see what of this new crop can actually hang in the more unique atmosphere of PWG.

Tim_dawg

Post by Tim_dawg » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:10 pm

There are rumors that Matt Riddle is heading to WWE.

This is the first time I have been worried by WWE signing somebody. Riddle is like the last true US indy star, it would be a massive blow to the US indys if he signs. Also the heavy favorite to win BOLA.

It's gonna be real intresting trying to predict what PWG will be like by BOLA next year. Riddle may or may not be in WWE, Travis Banks will probally be done with PWG after BOLA, and who knows who else WWE will sign by then. As far as US indy talent I can totally see Myron Reed, Trey Miguel, and Curt Stallion getting the call next year. Jake Atlas is gonna be huge, and impressed on his second PWG showing. Besides them where is the next wave of US talent coming from? Cause right now I just don't see it(please let me know who you think it will be).

One stat I didn't elaborate on that is very telling is the number of European talent in this year's BOLA. There are only four from the Euro scene, and Banks has the WWE UK deal, and PWG doesn't touch those(which is why I think BOLA is his last PWG booking). I don't know if there will be more than one or two European guys in next year's BOLA, probally Aussie Open. it looks like that market has dried up with WWE signing everybody.

I think BOLA 2019 will rely heavily on Lucha, Australia, and possibly China(if they can get the visa situation worked out). From Australia, Moretti, Caveman Ugg, Slex, Pitt, Slater are all BOLA ready. Logan Grey and Syd Parker are borderline ready. As far as Lucha, we are already seeing it a lot in California indys, they are relying much more heavily on Lucha now than they ever have(at least in years).

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:29 pm

I haven't seen enough of the Australia stuff to really know if those imports are all ready, but clearly that's the direction PWG wants to move in. China seems stupid obvious to happen next year, and Mexico is deep enough to fill the field 5 times over if they cared to look more down there. They'll be fine. It's not like the Northeast indies right now like Beyond, who have had to build their own stars like Josh Briggs and Wheeler YUTA to fill out cards.

Tim_dawg

Post by Tim_dawg » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:33 pm

armsofsleep wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:29 pm
I haven't seen enough of the Australia stuff to really know if those imports are all ready, but clearly that's the direction PWG wants to move in. China seems stupid obvious to happen next year, and Mexico is deep enough to fill the field 5 times over if they cared to look more down there. They'll be fine. It's not like the Northeast indies right now like Beyond, who have had to build their own stars like Josh Briggs and Wheeler YUTA to fill out cards.
Yeah, they are gonna have to use Aussies, Lucha and OWE guys with the way the US and UK are drying up. I'll tell you another dude you need to keep an eye on, actor Luke Perry's son Jungle Boy is gonna be an absolute star. He should be PWG level either by BOLA 2019 or 20.

Plenty of talent out there, just not stars, and if Riddle leaves there really won't be any on the US indy scene outside the Bullet Club.

To be honest I'm not so worried about BOLA as I am single shows throughout the year.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:17 am

Sure to add to the "Riddle to WWE fire"

King Of Indy Style

Post by King Of Indy Style » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:18 am

First Round BOLA Matches:

Tags:

Tim_dawg

Post by Tim_dawg » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:14 am

There are a few BOLA tickets left on the secondary market, all three nights avalaible. Nobody that I have talked to is trying to make a profit off these either, everything I've seen is being sold at face value. If you wanna go to BOLA this year there is absolutely no reason you can't. DM me on Twitter(same name) if you are intrested, or just search "BOLA tickets" you should be able to find them.

Tim_dawg

Post by Tim_dawg » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:05 am

So it's safe to assume Travis Banks is out of BOLA, as he confirmed on social media that his injury is worse than he originally thought. This is intresting, it will almost certainly be PAC who replaces Banks. PAC vs Shingo sounds amazing, but who the hell takes the loss? You can't have Shingo lose, he was the last one announced, and the big surprise. You can't have PAC lose this early in his Indy run can you? Mabey they will shift the card around so both guys could move on, but PWG has never done that before. It's gonna be interesting. I think PWG has to announce PAC, anyone else the fans would be dissapointed.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:30 am

mrjoshdude

Post by mrjoshdude » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:54 am

Tim_dawg wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:05 am
So it's safe to assume Travis Banks is out of BOLA, as he confirmed on social media that his injury is worse than he originally thought. This is intresting, it will almost certainly be PAC who replaces Banks. PAC vs Shingo sounds amazing, but who the hell takes the loss? You can't have Shingo lose, he was the last one announced, and the big surprise. You can't have PAC lose this early in his Indy run can you? Mabey they will shift the card around so both guys could move on, but PWG has never done that before. It's gonna be interesting. I think PWG has to announce PAC, anyone else the fans would be dissapointed.
The only solution I see is announcing PAC for the shows in a non-tournament capacity. Have him in big tag matches on each night and replace Banks with somebody else who can take the loss to Shingo.

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:02 pm

Tim_dawg wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:05 am
I'm not sure if this is a good idea, but you could do a shuffle. For example, let's choose Brookes vs Lee as less people care if those two exit in the first round (also it's the weakest match on the BOLA card & sticks out like sore thumb). You can do Shingo vs Lee with two strong, cocky heels going at it. Brookes can then fight PAC in a battle of the Brits with the new generation against the old generation.