PWG (Pro Wrestling Guerilla)

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
Tim_dawg

Re: PWG (Pro Wrestling Guerilla)

Post by Tim_dawg » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:47 am

Night 2:

-Trevor vs Flash. Same type of match as N1 with Lee vs Horus. Another really funny promo. Good stuff, just not a lot to say.

-Janela vs Eagles. This was incredible. One of my favorite matches of the show, and probally the weekend. Once again Joey killed it this weekend. He really proved himself as a great worker this weekend. The crowd was lukewarm on Robbie going in, by the end he got a "please come back" chant. Eagles bumped like hell in this. He took a tombstone on the apron and one on the floor as well as a top rope brainbuster. I would be shocked if Eagles isn't brought back.

Sammy vs Ishimori. Sigh, here we go... This was the match I figured would steal the entire weekend, boy was I wrong. This was real bad. Guevara had a really shitty weekend. His two weakest matches so far in PWG. But the story of this is Sammy hit a shooting star press and injured Ishimori. Another wrestler injured by Sammy. The crowd was livid at him, he cut a promo about how he isn't wrestling another match in PWG until he gets a title shot. I guess you could say it is good he is getting booed, but I would be shocked if he is still being booked by the end of the year. What a waste of fucking talent.

Also Ishimori had an okay weekend.solid, but wants blown away.

-Violence Unlimited vs Rascals. On N1 King looked like a star. In this one he showed that he is still green, and Tyler Bateman looked great. Not much to say, just really good. I am really excited to see Xavier and Wentz's title run. Bateman should be brought back, he is local, it will be cool to have a team of two big monsters, and you can hide King's deficiencies while he improve.

-Bandido vs Horus. Bandido had one hell of a weekend. He has the coolest look, reminds me of Hayabusa with the mouth covered and the wet black hair. Crowd adores both of these men. Rey is probally a lifelong undercard guy, and that's perfectly fine. Bit I see Bandido as a future main eventer. This is probally my match of the night. Once again Bandido gets a 5 minuite standing ovation(got one at the Globe). The fans threw so much money it filled 3 empty beer pitchers. It looked like Bandido was holding back tears after the match.

-Riddle vs Thatcher. Exactly what you expect. Either you like the grapple style or you don't. Riddle has dropped the bro stuff during his matches lately. He has looked like a killer the last few matches. PWG is one of the only US crowds who still loves Thatcher. Good stuff.

-Jonah Rock vs WALTER vs Keith Lee. This match had an aura about it that is hard to describe. The night prior WALTER and Rock came off like absolute stars, and it carried over. This felt like an event if that makes sense, like a true heavyweight fight. Crowd was split about 75/25 WALTER to Lee. Rock was the heel in this match. This weekend he went from just a big guy to a badass bully heel. He just came off as such a huge prick. He was disrespectful to both opponents all match, at one point low blowing both guys. To me his heel work was the glue that made this match work, and that is not to take away from the other two. WALTER looked like a star once again, he is a God in PWG.

Crazy that the PWG title has changed 5 times now in less than a year, and there has only been 1 successful defence in that time. But the title is absolutely on the right guy now, every match feels like a must watch. WALTER has several matches that make sense in the future too, PWG still has the Rock match in their back pocket that they built up at the last BOLA. Brody vs WALTER needs to happen. Oh, and it looks like Sammy is challenging WALTER at the next show.

King Of Indy Style

Post by King Of Indy Style » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:27 am

This one's not doing a whole lot for me, tbh. Starr/Riddle should be good, and the Title match is interesting, but besides that, pretty meh, imo.

Tim_dawg

Post by Tim_dawg » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:14 am

Rumor is Super Dragon booked this before he knew the building was being sold... then not sold yet. Apparently this is not the card he would have booked if he knew it was possibly the final Reseda show. However most fans did not know that, so there was no way this lineup was not gonna dissapoint. On paper this card is pretty comparable to Neon Knights, there is actually some really great stuff on this show.

-This is almost certainly Keith Lee's final PWG show since it's named after him, I find it fascinating that Adam Brooks is the one who gets Lee's (potentially) last PWG match, it's clear that Dragon and Excalibur love Brooks.

-PWG fans legit hate Sammy Guevara because he keeps injuring people, it's gonna be great to see him get chopped to death. This is also a very fresh match, and a year ago I would have not believed you if you told me this would main event a PWG show.

-Riddle/Starr should be great, Riddle has been on fire this year.

-Eagles/Bandito could be a potential show stealer, Eagles looked great against Janela at the last show, and Bandido is over like crazy, in three matches in PWG he has received two five plus minuite post match standing ovations.

-Rock is obviously on his way to receiving another title shot, I am pretty sure the Thatcher match is just a way to build up to Rock/WALTER probally at the anniversary show.

-Bateman looked really good at All Star Weekend, Trevor Lee is solid but not gonna blow anyone away. This should be real interesting.

-I can't believe PWG brought back Jake Atlas. He was not good in his debut, but to be fair he looked so much better than Eli Everfly or Douglas James. He better bring it. I am so morbidly curious about this match.

dcye

Post by dcye » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:05 am

Three Aussies on the show! Nice. Hopefully Robbie continues to get booked, he is legit.

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:26 pm

Tim_dawg wrote:Rumor is Super Dragon booked this before he knew the building was being sold... then not sold yet. Apparently this is not the card he would have booked if he knew it was possibly the final Reseda show. However most fans did not know that, so there was no way this lineup was not gonna dissapoint. On paper this card is pretty comparable to Neon Knights, there is actually some really great stuff on this show.

Riddle/Starr already happened in Beyond this year. Really fun match, if maybe a touch below what you would want. Man is it hard for PWG to book first time matches nowadays.

Also yeah, I like this card a lot, but it definitely feels lowkey. A lot of the recent cards have. I prefer it but I feel like the buzz is at an all time low.

Tim_dawg

Post by Tim_dawg » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:00 pm

armsofsleep wrote:
Tim_dawg wrote:Rumor is Super Dragon booked this before he knew the building was being sold... then not sold yet. Apparently this is not the card he would have booked if he knew it was possibly the final Reseda show. However most fans did not know that, so there was no way this lineup was not gonna dissapoint. On paper this card is pretty comparable to Neon Knights, there is actually some really great stuff on this show.

Riddle/Starr already happened in Beyond this year. Really fun match, if maybe a touch below what you would want. Man is it hard for PWG to book first time matches nowadays.

Also yeah, I like this card a lot, but it definitely feels lowkey. A lot of the recent cards have. I prefer it but I feel like the buzz is at an all time low.
If this was never announced as the possible final Reseda show there wouldn't be so much negativity, that hurt it a ton, PWG was put in such a bad position here. I totally get where you are coming from about the buzz, and in today's Indy scene it is hard to stand out cause PWG isn't the only super Indy.

To me this show gets so much better the deeper you look at it. This is almost a storyline show, if there was ever such a thing in PWG. If you have seen the last few PWG shows(which not everyone has due to DVD's taking forever to be released) you know how insanely over WALTER and Bandido are, and they both have great matchups. This also continues Rock's monster heel rise, and Brooks assent to the main event. So much good stuff here if you know what's going on in the promotion. But if you don't and with the circumstances I totally get why this card is a letdown.

Tim_dawg

Post by Tim_dawg » Thu May 24, 2018 7:31 pm

Trevor Lee is injured and won't be at the show tomorrow. Most likely they will add Bateman to Atlas vs Horus. That is a horrible scenario for Atlas. Atlas NEEDS a killer match after the bad debut match he had, and a triple threat is way less interesting than the singles match.

At this point if they bring someone else in it will pretty much have to be a local. The dudes I want are Jacob Fatu or Karl Fredericks, but they are both booked for APW. I don't see them bringing back Douglas James or Eli Everfly, but that could be an option. Another local people are really high on is Chris Bey, I could see him getting a shot, although I think he is too green personally.

Realistically, I'm saying triple threat.

King Of Indy Style

Post by King Of Indy Style » Thu May 24, 2018 8:04 pm

If they're bringing in anyone it's gonna be Brian Cage, and Cage/Bateman isn't interesting in the very slightest

lonemagician

Post by lonemagician » Thu May 24, 2018 8:40 pm

More proof the US Independent scene is hurting.

I'm struggling to think of names they could bring in.

Tim_dawg

Post by Tim_dawg » Thu May 24, 2018 9:55 pm

King Of Indy Style wrote:If they're bringing in anyone it's gonna be Brian Cage, and Cage/Bateman isn't interesting in the very slightest
Cage is also working APW.

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Fri May 25, 2018 5:08 am

lonemagician wrote:More proof the US Independent scene is hurting.

I'm struggling to think of names they could bring in.
Nah, there's a heap of people they could bring in, but it's more about who's available for a last-minute booking.

Tim_dawg

Post by Tim_dawg » Sat May 26, 2018 11:43 pm

I was not at last night's show, but from everyone I talked to Eagles/Bandido was match of the night by far, and Bateman/"Uptown" Andy Brown was not good, and everything else was good, but not great.

Rock beat Thatcher, so I'm assuming he is gonna get a title shot soon, possible at the anniversary show in July. Also Brooks beat Lee as expected, and knowing the way PWG books beating someone in their final match is huge for Brooks and the probally have huge plans for him.

BOLA is gonna be very interesting this year. I think there is a 99% chance Riddle wins it, this just feels like his year in PWG. The actual field is gonna be very different from other years. Two if the three finalists from 2017 are now in WWE. The European chapter of PWG seems to be closing(besides WALTER obviously) And with the success Brooks, Rock, and Eagles are having I wouldn't be surprised if around a third of the field is Aussies. There are also a ton of dudes who can be the Cinderella story and make it the the semi-finals. I can see Brooks, Janela, Bandido, Eagles, or Horus making a deep run this year.