PWG (Pro Wrestling Guerilla)

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
John The Drummer

Re: PWG (Pro Wrestling Guerilla)

Post by John The Drummer » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:18 am

I'd love to see PCW's Warbeast show up in PWG.

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:38 pm

I for one am shocked that PWG started booking a few locals and all of their cards are magically 30x more interesting than they were last year. I hope everyone takes the Lanza-esque "victory lap" on those.

In a world where AAW, Beyond, Defy, etc etc all run "dream matches" oncea month (and that's not even speaking to all the UK promotions that do it), PWG cards simply did not standout anymore. This makes them standout again. They put in their chips with locals, Australians, and a few wildcards (Bandido, Ishimori, etc). And all of a sudden these are compelling shows.

I still don't get the obsession with Flash Morgan Webster though. Of all the UK guys to continue flying in, why pick the guy no one cares about who isn't good? I get you might want a name fans recognize, but bring in one of those young guys that will be a star in 6 months (like an Omari).

King Of Indy Style

Post by King Of Indy Style » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:35 pm

Neon Knights Preview Video!

Tim_dawg

Post by Tim_dawg » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:26 pm

Man. Crazy times. Leaving the Legion Hall brings up mixed emotions for me. On one hand there have been so many amazing matches/moments/memories. On the other, it's time to move up. I loved everything about the Globe besides the lighting, and it is cool that we now have a venue comparable to those great UK buildings.

But about All Star Weekend, good Lord. I love how these shows have everything. Obviously I am beyond hyped about Eagles. And being in a triple threat with Guevarra and Flash is a good way to debut. You know they will do a bunch of crazy shit. Besides Eagles I am super excited about both of Bandito's matches, the N2 main event, and King/Bateman vs Ringkampf is very interesting to me, I don't know what to expect.

One story I find very interesting is Sammy Guevarra. I thought he was done in PWG after the Fenix injury. So glad to see him back. Also Sammy is still undefeated in PWG besides the Cobb match at BOLA. Gonna be super interesting to see if he wins both of his matches at All Star Weekend. If so how can he not be in line for a title shot? And he and Keith have a lot of history going back to their Texas roots. That is a match I personally am dying to see.

lonemagician

Post by lonemagician » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:02 pm

I'd love for Sammy to be the underdog who beats Keith Lee (on his way out). Much like ZSJ, he's much better as a cocky heel you want to see beat and a PWG main event run with him would be a blast.

rovert

Post by rovert » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:51 pm

So people and PWG are finally doing/saying things I said years ago and when RobViper had a meltdown over. Ok.

King Of Indy Style

Post by King Of Indy Style » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:31 pm

Sammy as champ would be interesting, but.....idk if he's totally ready for that spot, as I think he's still a little rough around the edges when it comes to his in ring work. Although, if Sammy won the title in a triple threat after stealing the pin, I think it'd be a great start for a reign of his.

H.U.S.T.L.E.

Post by H.U.S.T.L.E. » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:42 pm

rovert wrote:So people and PWG are finally doing/saying things I said years ago and when RobViper had a meltdown over. Ok.
Just as a casual observer who hasn't been following the indy scene very closely over the past year or so, it seems more that PWG has been forced to do things this way for several reasons, rather than willingly:

- The change of venue is obvious. They messed up the ticket allotment for one show and had to find a different building, and now they have no choice but to find a new permanent venue.

- The booking of local talent seems like a response to a couple different things. 1) The big one is that many of the top names on the indy scene have been plucked by WWE or have prior commitments with places like NJPW or ROH, and 2) PWG's habit of putting together shows with relatively short notice has made it harder to load their cards with indy names top to bottom

I would imagine that they haven't changed the way they operate much, and more well-know guys fill out their dates pretty far ahead now. Feels like PWG has been trying to fill in the gaps with local talent. All that said, it seems like local guys have excelled when given a chance, so good on them.

But I wouldn't pat yourself on the back for this, considering all signs point to PWG doing this out of necessity rather than a willingness to shake up the status quo.

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:56 pm

If you think PWG happened to oversell tickets and run a new venue for the first time in years the same week it went public that their building happened to be put on the market........................................

Tim_dawg

Post by Tim_dawg » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:54 pm

H.U.S.T.L.E. wrote: All that said, it seems like local guys have excelled when given a chance, so good on them.
No they have not. Everyone hated the four way at the last show besides like 2 people.

King Of Indy Style

Post by King Of Indy Style » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:57 am

All Star Weekend 14 Night One Results

Before the show, it was announced that the sale for the American Legion hall has not closed, and that May 25th may not be the last date in Reseda after all.

Rey Horus def. Trevor Lee
RINGKAMPF (WALTER and Timothy Thatcher) def. Violence Unlimited (Brody King and Tyler Bateman)
Taiji Ishimori def. Bandido
Sammy Guevara def. Flash Morgan Webster and Robbie Eagles
Jonah Rock def. Joey Janela
Keith Lee def. Adam Page
The Rascals (Dezmond Xavier and Zachary Wentz) def. The Young Bucks and Chosen Bros. (Matt Riddle and Jeff Cobb) to become NEW PWG Tag Team Champions

King Of Indy Style

Post by King Of Indy Style » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:43 am

All Star Weekend 14 Night Two results

Trevor Lee def. Flash Morgan Webster
Joey Janela def. Robbie Eagles
Sammy Guevara def. Taiji Ishimori
The Rascals (Zachary Wentz and Dezmond Xavier) def. Violence Unlimited (Brody King and Tyler Bateman) to retain the PWG World Tag Team Titles
Bandido def. Rey Horus
Matt Riddle def. Timothy Thatcher
WALTER def. Jonah Rock and Keith Lee to become NEW PWG World Champion!

King Of Indy Style

Post by King Of Indy Style » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:19 pm

After the May 25th show, Meltzer reports the next PWG show would be on July 13th.

Tim_dawg

Post by Tim_dawg » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:18 am

So PWG All Star Weekend 14. Really great weekend. Overall everything was good to great with the exception of two matches.

Night 1:

-Start off with Trevor Lee vs Rey Horus. Lee cuts a promo saying how he is gonna win the PWG title the night the Legion Hall closes is the simplified version of the promo. So right as the bell rings Horus hits a rana and gets a near fall for a huge pop. Great spot, good opener. Horus is a really solid worker who always has good matches, unless he is wrestling another luchador in which case he can have great matches(more on that later). He may not get booked in a lot of major Indies, but in PWG Rey is pretty loved.

-Ishimori vs Bandido. A lot of people thought this was match of the night, I heard one person say it was their favorite of the whole weekend. I liked it a lot, but I am the low man on it. There were some incredible sequences in this, stuff I have never seen before. The minor thing I noticed is some communication stuff in between sequences that knocked it down a bit for me(which I get, it can't be easy at all to do the stuff they pulled out not speaking the same language). Once again really good match, but I am the low man and everyone else loved it.

-Tyler Bateman and Brody King vs Ringkampf. Holy fucking shit. This was absolutely unbelievable. First off Ringkampf got the biggest pop I've heard in years. The last pop this loud in Reseda is when Dalton Castle debuted in 2016. The difference between that match and this tag is the crowd slowly died during the Castle match, during the tag the crowd was electric the entire time. This was Bateman's debut. For those unfamiliar he is a 17 year vet who has never gotten a break until now. He is helping train Brody King while asle training himself with Shibata. For his perseverance alone I think he had the crowds respect going into this. He looked good work wise, and appearance wise too(looks like Daniel Day Lewis in Gangs of New York). Thatcher in this was so blown away by the pop he couldn't stop smiling the entire match, for a guy as protective of kayfabe as he is it was really cool to see. Thatcher was in the corner giggling when WALTER chopped Brody.

However this match was entirely about King and WALTER. Bateman and Thatcher were just there in supporting roles. Brody is the only guy I have ever seen who not only no sold WALTER's chops, he actually chopped just as hard. Those chop battles felt like King Kong vs Godzilla. The crowd was absolutely on fire every time both of these two were in the ring together. WALTER is easily the most over guy in PWG, and King looked like an absolute star. Go out of your way to see this match. PWG has to be a singles match between King and WALTER.

-Eagles vs Flash vs Guevara. This was good. And that was it. Eagles would do much better on N2. Crowd legit despises Sammy. He is gaining a reputation as a reckless worker and keeps injuring guys. He is also gaining a reputation as having a really bad attitude, don't know how accurate that is, but people hate him with a passion.

-Rock vs Janela. Wow. This blew away any expectations I had going in. A lot of people don't like Jonah. And I get why, he needs to project himself as a big man better. He needs to strike harder. He needs to be a lot meaner. All of those things happened. This is the best either guy has looked in PWG to this point. I'll summarize what I think about Jonah in the N2 review, but he was one of my MVP's of the weekend, in fact, so was Joey. Great match, this felt like a fight, and Rock came off like a huge bully going into the triple threat.

-Hangman Page vs Keith Lee. Ugh. This went on forever. It started with comedy cause Page ran out of tan and his back was really white. Once this got going it got really...meh. Page dropped Lee on his head late in the match with a gonzo bomb, Keith was pretty banged up after the match. Not a smart spot. I don't need to see Page back.

-Bucks vs Rascals vs Chosen Bros. This is exactly what you would expect. If you don't like these style of matches you won't like this. If you do it was tons of fun. Cool throwback with Knox getting involved. The ending of the match felt like a passing of the torch moment. The Bucks cut a promo after the match that almost had me crying.

-Great show, this is a must watch.