PWG (Pro Wrestling Guerilla)

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
themib

Re: PWG 2015

Post by themib » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:45 pm

Based on Excalibur's comments at the end of Stage Two, looks like they're going to emphasise Candice in a singles role from this point.

Stage One was fun (especially Ospreay/Andrews, Fenix/Sydal and MR2/Euro Trash), but Stage Two was exceptional in its variety of styles. Chris Hero certainly gets the best out of Timothy Thatcher of anyone I've seen, and Bailey/Galloway was one of the best big man/little man matches I've seen in a long time. And as for the lucha tag and Guerrilla Warfare... just wow.

Aiming to watch the Final Stage from Monday.

dj22319

Post by dj22319 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:31 pm

I'm not gonna lie guys, I was really disappointed with Pentagon Jr. vs. Zack Sabre Jr.. I am a huge mark for both guys, but their match didn't reach my expectations. They were building the match nicely, but we didn't get the epic closing stretch i was hoping for. I gave it ***3/4.
The name's David Perez, but you can call me David Purorez (GET ITTTTT?)

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:35 pm

dj22319 wrote:I'm not gonna lie guys, I was really disappointed with Pentagon Jr. vs. Zack Sabre Jr.. I am a huge mark for both guys, but their match didn't reach my expectations. They were building the match nicely, but we didn't get the epic closing stretch i was hoping for. I gave it ***3/4.
Honestly, I wouldn't expect it to be amazing, since Zack Sabre Jr. was going to work two more matches later in the night.

dj22319

Post by dj22319 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:56 am

DXvsNWO wrote:
dj22319 wrote:I'm not gonna lie guys, I was really disappointed with Pentagon Jr. vs. Zack Sabre Jr.. I am a huge mark for both guys, but their match didn't reach my expectations. They were building the match nicely, but we didn't get the epic closing stretch i was hoping for. I gave it ***3/4.
Honestly, I wouldn't expect it to be amazing, since Zack Sabre Jr. was going to work two more matches later in the night.
That's true, but come on, this was a dream match. I saw the drive in them to put on a good match (hell, everyone was driven to put on good matches those nights), but for some reason it just didn't gel for me. I hope this match up happens again in the future, maybe under different circumstances.

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:36 am

dj22319 wrote:
DXvsNWO wrote:
That's true, but come on, this was a dream match. I saw the drive in them to put on a good match (hell, everyone was driven to put on good matches those nights), but for some reason it just didn't gel for me. I hope this match up happens again in the future, maybe under different circumstances.
Give them a rematch on a non-tournament show, and I guarantee you it'll be better.

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:05 pm

It's a weird clash of styles. Sometimes these things don't work.

Hobbes

Post by Hobbes » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:48 am

I thought Pentagon Jr vs. Zach Sabre Jr. was a very good, but not great match, that was elevated by a very special crowd. No other match that weekend got that kind of reaction, they were so into the idea of those two wrestling. Plus it was fun to see Pentagon Jr. completely change it up and pull out a ton of wild lucha subs after going balls to the fall spotfesty the first two nights.

Leo C

Post by Leo C » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:00 pm

I also felt like they were having a very good match but it kinda ended too early. If they happen to have a rematch down the line, it was a great setup in the way that they held back, but they did enough to show that they can do great stuff. Also, yeah, definitely because Sabre had more matches coming. I would've switched Pentagón for Scurrl if it was me, but OK. The entire event (and especially Stage Two I felt) still ranks in my top 5 shows of the year easily.

dj22319

Post by dj22319 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:30 am

Leo C wrote:I also felt like they were having a very good match but it kinda ended too early. If they happen to have a rematch down the line, it was a great setup in the way that they held back, but they did enough to show that they can do great stuff. Also, yeah, definitely because Sabre had more matches coming. I would've switched Pentagón for Scurrl if it was me, but OK. The entire event (and especially Stage Two I felt) still ranks in my top 5 shows of the year easily.
I agree with you all, I never called it bad. It just never reached my MOTY expectations, and I know that's high expectations, but these two have garnered that type of hype. I have no doubts these two wanna live up to their match potential, and this gives me hope

dj22319

Post by dj22319 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:42 am

Robareid wrote:It's a weird clash of styles. Sometimes these things don't work.
That seemed to be the case here. That, or they truly held back for Zack's sake.

ethanpwt_

Post by ethanpwt_ » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:27 am

I thought Sabre/Pentagon was only a tease of what they could do together. Hopefully PWG books them in a main event match down the line so they can kill it. Hopefully during Sabre's title reign which I'm expecting next year.

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:54 pm

2 hour review by myself and Joey Bay up at F4W for FREE!!!!

http://www.f4wonline.com/dr-keith/dr-ke ... -21-200071

ThomasOP

Post by ThomasOP » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:20 am

I've watched Stage One, & the first few matches of Stage Two. Some random thoughts....
  • I never need to see a reverse 'rana again.
  • Jack Evans/Angelico wasn't a great match, but Evans had me dying with his trash talk. Really enjoyed it.
  • LOVED Thatcher/Hero. Thatcher gives me "There Will Be Blood" vibes, and just is one of my favorite guys to watch right now. Hero's piledrivers were just nasty. My favorite match of the shows so far.
  • The Lucha Underground tag was awesome. Wish the finish was when Fenix hits the insane dive, while Star got the pin. Building would have exploded.

dj22319

Post by dj22319 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:29 am

Alan4L wrote:2 hour review by myself and Joey Bay up at F4W for FREE!!!!

Alan, if u thought that Fenix dive in Night Two was amazing, u need to see Fenix's singles match against Taiji Ishimori during his NOAH run. He dished out one of the highest, corckscrewiest springboards I've ever seen.

dj22319

Post by dj22319 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:01 am

Alan4L wrote:2 hour review by myself and Joey Bay up at F4W for FREE!!!!

Your comparison of Pentagon Jr./Sabre Jr. to Joe/Kobashi is spot on. If people knew this match was gonna happen, and if they had a bigger venue, there's no doubt in my mind they would've had super no vacancy. I just wish I saw this match with your eyes, cuz with mine, I honestly cannot give u a straight face and say this is a MOTYC. It was very good, but I KNOW these guys can do better, and when they do, I'm gonna mark the fuck out.