PWG (Pro Wrestling Guerilla)

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
rovert

Re: PWG (Pro Wrestling Guerilla)

Post by rovert » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:12 pm

I don't think PAC would job during his initial post-WWE dates.

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:22 pm

Why are people assuming PAC can be on the indies already? We assume his contract expired before but do you still have a non-compete period after that?

King Of Indy Style

Post by King Of Indy Style » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:08 pm

Travis Banks is out of BOLA. Ilja Dragunov will wrestle Shingo Takagi and Sammy Guevara is replacing Banks, wrestling Jonah Rock.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:28 pm

Chris Brookes is out with an injury. And so...

Tim_dawg

Post by Tim_dawg » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:54 pm

SPOILER WARNING!!!

I was thinking about doing a review for BOLA, but to be honest, it took me about a week to write the preview. And in a week a review will be old news. Also, I have no idea where to start. I'll just post some bullet points on here. There is no order here, just whatever pops into my head.

- This is my 9th BOLA I've seen live, this was by far the best one.

-Night 1 was really good, night two was one of the better BOLA shows, and night 3 was the best BOLA show ever, and one of, if not the best PWG show ever. This might pop up on people's show of the year lists.

- The final match was the best BOLA final ever, and one of the best PWG matches ever. A legit 5 star match, much better then the Meltzer rated 5 star matches. The crowd was on fire the last ten minuites, this was possibly the hottest I've ever seen a PWG crowd.

-Dispite the crowd being so pro Bandido in the final,the crowd was more than okay with Cobb winning BOLA. It was a huge upset, but it came off great, this was a swerve done right. Also on the flagship show Joe said he doesn't get a superstar aura from Bandido, in this match he came off like an enormous star.

-Ilja Dragunov vs Shingo Takagi from night 2 probally would have gotten the full 5 from me if it wernt for a bad botch down the stretch.

-Shingo is the MVP of BOLA. All his matches were tremendous, and he made the tournament feel much more important. His matches felt like stuff you would see at the Champion Carnival.

Shingo/Ilja vs Ringkampf: ****1/2
Shingo vs Ilja: ****3/4
Shingo vs Eagles: ****1/4
Shingo vs Cobb vs Bandido(although he was out before the match really picked up): *****

-Bandido was by far the most over guy of the weekend, he was my runner up MVP. Besides the finals, his best match was vs Janela in the semi-finals. He also had very good matches with T-Hawk and Flamita.

-Ilja Dragunov came off as a huge star. The crowd loved him immediatly.

-Darby Allin is an insane person. He missed a coffin drop from the top turnbuckle to the apron. The most insane spot is Jeff Cobb did an F5 that spun Darby around almost 3 rotations.

-Puma King got massively over, his offense is so unique, and he has tons of charisma. I expect him to become a regular.

-Marko Stunt was over the second he came out. He got the streamer treatment, but with fun size candy. He comes out to We Belong by Pat Benatar, which is the best theme song.

-Trevor Lee's pre match promos are hilarious. He told Brody King his tattoos look like shit and doesn't even believe in God. I don't know how Brody didn't break character.

-King vs PCO was slopy as hell, but tons of fun. PCO had one of the most insane botches that has to be seen. As expected, PCO was stupidly over.

-It appears Jonah's push is taking a step back, as he was defeated by WALTER. Rock is finally starting to get over in PWG. The match with Sammy was fine, but the WALTER match was short but sweet. Really good stuff.

-Eagles stock went way up after this weekend. He and Shingo had a killer match.

-DJZ didn't have the best showing against Eagles, but looked much better in the ten man. His entrance feels major league, and got over.

-Brooks's stock is about the same as before this weekend. Not everyone liked his match with Horus. I thought it was pretty good. His matches don't all need to be 20+ minuites.

-Janela vs Starr was really good, but the last minuite was next level. This was Starr's best match in PWG.

-Janela vs Starr was very good, and his match vs Bandido was great. Good tournament for Joey, I could see him winning next year.

-Jody and CIMA were just kinda there. Although it was cool to see both in PWG.

-T-Hawk looked great against Bandido, and had some killer chops. He did nothing in the 10 man on night 3, I don't think he took a bump. He did 2 chops and a dropkick, that may literally be it.

-Thatcher had a great weekend. The tag is my third favorite match. I wasn't as high on him vs WALTER as everybody else was, but I've seen 4+ from most people. I'm at 4.

Top 5 matches:

1) Bandido vs Shingo vs Cobb: *****
2) Ilja Dragunov vs Shingo:****3/4
3) Ilja Dragunov and Shingo vs Ringkampf: ****1/2
4) Rascalz vs Lucha Bros: ****1/2
5) Shingo vs Robbie Eagles: ****1/4

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:24 am

Thanks for the write up! I cannot wait for this to come out on DVD!

I just saw Puma King for the first time ever at Defy here in Seattle a couple weeks back and he really won me over. Dude has so much charisma and was so fun to watch.

Darby Allin is a somewhat regular in Seattle as well. I fear for his health with the spots he does, but also appreciate how much heart he puts into his matches.

I had no idea who Bandido was until I saw him in PWG (which ever his first PWG match was) and he won me over immediately. I've gotten to see him in person and goddamn he is so great. I can't wait to see him again for my birthday at Defy next month!

thecubsfan

Post by thecubsfan » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:28 pm

One of my big takeaways from being there is Bandido in PWG is a different deal than elsewhere. He's great where ever he goes, but he's the rising pure babyface just about to break thru in PWG. It's a little weird that concept is a novelty thing, that used to be the idea everywhere. It sticks positively out in a landscape of more artifically created top stars. The PWG fans believe in Bandido and believe they're helping make him. Bandido - like Shingo and Dragunov and others - should get all the US bookings he wants to take, but I'm not sure if he'll resonate elsewhere at first if he comes in as a known top guy.

I was pulling for him to win that final, even though my head said it Walter/Bandido wouldn't be a good match for either guy and Cobb/Walter would fit better. (Shingo/Walter too, but Shingo beating Walter to get there was his big victory.) The reaction for Bandido winning would've been incredible, and probably still will be when they pull the trigger.

Tim_dawg

Post by Tim_dawg » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:51 pm

thecubsfan wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:28 pm
One of my big takeaways from being there is Bandido in PWG is a different deal than elsewhere. He's great where ever he goes, but he's the rising pure babyface just about to break thru in PWG. It's a little weird that concept is a novelty thing, that used to be the idea everywhere. It sticks positively out in a landscape of more artifically created top stars. The PWG fans believe in Bandido and believe they're helping make him. Bandido - like Shingo and Dragunov and others - should get all the US bookings he wants to take, but I'm not sure if he'll resonate elsewhere at first if he comes in as a known top guy.

I was pulling for him to win that final, even though my head said it Walter/Bandido wouldn't be a good match for either guy and Cobb/Walter would fit better. (Shingo/Walter too, but Shingo beating Walter to get there was his big victory.) The reaction for Bandido winning would've been incredible, and probably still will be when they pull the trigger.
I was actually listening to the flagship show on my way home from BOLA, and heard Joe say Bandido gives off a fun vibe, but not a superstar aura, and he dosent strike him as a guy who he needs to see main eventing everywhere(paraphrasing). I totally get where Joe is coming from, and to add to your point Cubs Fan, Bandido dosent need to be a star everywhere, just PWG. Bandido might be a really fun wrestler to watch elsewhere, but in PWG he is a star, and in the BOLA final he absolutely came off that way.

And by the way, I asm writing a BOLA review, gonna be a little late with work and life getting in the way, haha.

SoopaDoop

Post by SoopaDoop » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:21 pm

The card for their next show looks so good. Especially bringing in Hechicero. I’m enjoying the experimentation with more Lucha guys in PWG. Fenix, Penta, Horus, Flamita, Bandido, Puma King, and now Hechicero.

With most companies focusing on Japan, and UK, I’m hoping PWG continues to look for possible draws out of Mexico.

Tim_dawg

Post by Tim_dawg » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:47 am

PWG has kind of a wierd problem right now. The world title has been hot potatoed so much over the past year, there have been 6 title changes since Chuck won the title last summer, and only 3 sucessful title defenses in that time. A lot of those title changes were unnessisary and shouldn't have happened(Chuck's 2nd reign, Keith Lee's). Bandido is the hottest guy in the company by far, and it would be a shame if he never gets to hold PWG title. Back a few years ago it was okay to wait to belt a dude, but now it feels like if you don't do it immediately WWE can scoop him up and you miss the chance.

PWG has typically been a promotion with long title runs before last year. Now it feels like every show it can change hands. Bandido winning would be incredible, but Cobb really needs to have a long title reign. Hopefully WWE stays away long enough so both things can happen.

Oh, and by the way, Bandido vs Fenix last weekend was incredible.

Tim_dawg

Post by Tim_dawg » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:48 am

Fucking Jungle Boy!!! This dude is gonna be everywhere after this.

Also Eagles vs Gresham sounds incredible.

Tim_dawg

Post by Tim_dawg » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:39 am

Flamita out, Laredo Kid in. PWG is turning into The Crash. I'm thinking BOLA this year is gonna be possibly double didget luchadores, and a few Aussies.

Zackmonday

Post by Zackmonday » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:13 am

I’m so stoked for the Mystery Vortex show in May. With the fresh rotation that PWG is keeping, there are some incredible possibilities for this show.

What are your thoughts? Anything you would like to see at The Globe? Who’s getting Title shots?

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:32 am

It'd be cool to see TJP return. (I know, a lot of people don't like him as a person, but he was a PWG original)

Tim_dawg

Post by Tim_dawg » Sat May 11, 2019 5:13 pm

Last night's show was fucking incredible, especially the first half. The two best matches were Cobb vs Gresham and Tony Deppen vs Trey Miguel. Gresham's last two PWG matches have been great, and if Bandido wasn't the favorite to win BOLA it would be Gresham at this point. Deppen and Orange Cassidy both had great debuts and got really over. Deppen could be huge for PWG.

Atlas vs Trent vs Brody was my third best match of the night. Trent was kinda just there to be honest. Atlas looked incredible, he is easily the most improved wrestler of the year in my opinion.

At intermission this was on pace to becoming an all time great PWG show. Second half didn't live up to the first. I think one thing that would have put this show oer the top would have been one more debut in the second half. Jungle Boy vs Puma King was okay(hot take, I don't think Puma is that amazing of a worker), Horus/Flamita vs Rascalz was good, but not great.

I didn't really like the main event between Darby and Janela. There was no reason for this to be Guerrilla Warfare. This felt like a late 90's WWF hardcore match with way more brutal spots. Way too much time spent setting shit up.

Great show, easily the best Mystery Vortex.