PWG (Pro Wrestling Guerilla)

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
John The Drummer

Re: PWG (Pro Wrestling Guerilla)

Post by John The Drummer » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:52 am

Goddamn that looks amazing. I saw some posts about the thumb up the butt train with Liger being the conductor LMFAO

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:33 pm

so that roh-pwg relationship is WORKING well....

VILLAIN!

itsberlo

Post by itsberlo » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:57 pm

Ater a long ass nap I wanted to share some of my live thoughts on BOLA weekend.

First off let me go on record and say this was the greatest weekend of wrestling I have ever experienced. I have only gone to one Wrestlemania weekend and that was for WM27 and well you know how that one went. There was in some people's eyes two 5 star matches and a boat load of 4 1/4 or better matches. Each night had their own feel to them and each night had several matches that tore the roof off and should be MOTYC.

I am not going to talk about results as it appears someone already is doing that on the board but I did want to talk about some performances over the weekend. Fenix did some things that will blow everyone's mind and I cannot wait till everyone sees it on DVD/BD. The Young Bucks may have had two 5 star matches in one weekend. The 6 man was nuts and the match against Fenix/Pentagon Jr. was just as ridiculous. The debuting Pete Dunne and Mark Haskins did quite well for themselves and I really hope they comeback. I feel bad about Gallaher as I think he would have had an equally great debut as well. Now as for Cody Rhodes, I was pretty blown away not only with how over he was but how he blew past my expectations on how well he would do. He was pretty damn good and from what I hear was as good in the locker room as he was in the ring. There are going to be matches that everyone will talk about but I will tell you that one of the most overlooked matches of the weekend will be Ricochet vs. Hennigan. It was one of the best Hennigan/Mundo/Morrison matches that I have ever seen. The 10 man tag on night 3 was one of the most entertaining matches i have ever seen live and the send off for End/Ciampa/Alexander was a great moment.

Other than the wrestling there was some moments that really made this a special weekend. I got to meet and talk wrestling for 20+ minutes with someone from one of my favorite bands of all time, Adam Jones from Tool. I never thought that would be something I would have experience but at PWG you never can tell what the hell you gonna come across. Marking out with Rob Naylor after the Bucks/Fenix/Pentagon match was awesome just for the fact that guy may love wrestling more than me and that's saying a lot. Lastly I am not sure if this will be visible on video but during the Scrull/Rhodes match, Marty gave me a little shout out for doing the Goldust pose as he was setting up Cody in the corner for "Shattered Dreams".

BOLA is something I wish everyone could experience. I traveled from Tennessee, only had a total of 12 hours of sleep over 3 days, stood in line for a total of 12 hours and caught the red eye after the show and it was well worth it. I could not have asked for a better weekend.

On a side note, the Kamatachi super fan is awesome.
Last edited by itsberlo on Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

King Of Indy Style

Post by King Of Indy Style » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:27 am

PWG with the speed!!

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:34 am

King Of Indy Style wrote:PWG with the speed!!

Looks like Ricochet must be an Eagles fan with those tights. ;)

That last spot they showed from Fenix/Ospreay was INSANE!!!

Hobbes

Post by Hobbes » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:42 am

This has to be the fastest they've ever uploaded a highlight video. Hopefully this means the DVD production for these is going to be sped up too. I know PWG Thirteen DVDs are supposed to arrive this week, which is about a five and a half week turn around time from when the show happened.

wac

Post by wac » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:00 am

Ricochet/Cobb :shock:

King Of Indy Style

Post by King Of Indy Style » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:48 am

Cobb just manhandling the shit out of Ricochet will never not impress me. If Cobb is able to be a PWG regular ala Hero he's guaranteed a Title Reign IMO

RobViper13

Post by RobViper13 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:12 am

I could go on for pages and pages about the entire weekend but more than likely will just keep jumping in posting shit I remember from the entire thing. Such an amazing weekend of wrestling. So many good matches that I forgot how good Sabre/End was until I watched the highlight video and remembered that was gonna be my top 3 MOTW at one point. Just like last year Night 2 was the show stealer. I'm biased (#porraAeroStar) so I prefered last year's Night 2 but everyone else said this was better. The worst match on Night 2 is the best match on most super indy shows. I had Kyle/Riddle as worst match but that's just because of my tastes. It wasn't bad at all.

The Night 2 main event was as great as is being hyped. It even featured a horribly blown spot but by the end you barely remembered it and it had no effect in whether the match was ***** or not. It was. Hopefully that kills the myth that you can't have a 5 star match with a screwed up spot. The last 45 seconds of that match are an all-time moment I'll never forget. One incredible counter spot... before you can even react another incredible innovative spot... then seconds later the triple SSP to perfection which got a mega pop.

Mundo/Sydal on Night 1 wasn't the best they could do and I think Mundo knew that so he came to impress on Sunday. It's really unfair because there were legit many ****+ matches this weekend that won't get the hype they deserve because the bar was set so high. Ricochet/Mundo & Ricochet/Cobb will be two examples of that. Even Andrews/Dunne which had excessive kickouts but nuclear heat live.

My weekend MVP was Fenix because for me he had the best match on Night 1, second best match on Night 2 & best match on Night 3. Not to mention the spot of the year. It's funny because last year I told him to do that during the lucha tag since nobody in the US had ever seen that spot done unless you're a hardcore AAA fan like myself. He said no way because the stuff hanging from the ceiling would get in the way. So when I saw them setting up for it this year I was like THIS IS GONNA RULE and the reaction was incredible. Meltzer even told me afterwards he wishes they wouldn't have done it so early in the match because nothing was going to top that move. (Yet they still had a ****1/2 or so match) Fenix also got to a cut a promo on Night 3 where you could really tell how important this weekend was to him. Pentagon Jr. cut an equally good promo for everyone in the crowd who understood Spanish. He started it off with "Sorry, no English" after his brother cut an English promo. LOL

Night 3 didn't drag like last year. Was just as hot in the building though. I disagreed with Meltzer saying the 3 way at the end was anti-climactic. I thought the crowd was really into it and shocked when young Will went out first. The Lee vs Scurll final was a tremendous mini match.

The booking is to be applauded because nobody expected some of the decisions and honestly it took balls to eliminate Pentagon Jr., Ciampa & Riddle in round 1. They were super over and the crowd could have quickly turned on the show AND the guys who beat them.

Really wish I could have seen more Jeff Cobb. He had a funny weekend. Work Ricochet on Friday. Work a low rent lucha indy show teaming with the rooster GALLO TAPADO JR. on Saturday. Work a 10 man comedy tag with Lyger on Sunday but during it have one of the best sequences of the weekend with Riddle (lucky AAW people who will get to see that). He's a legit beast and hopefully works more like this in season 3 of LU rather than Matanza who has to no-sell a lot more.

Kamaitachi fan stood behind my section on Night 2 & was hilarious. I hope they heard on her commentary because I want to hear Excalibur's reaction. She literally just yelled "Kamaitachi!" in a screeching voice the entire match. Kamaitachi took a suplex on the apron that has to be seen by everyone except Bix. The guy wants to die.

Brian Kendrick got a HUGE reaction once everyone in the building saw he was part of that 10 man match. I knew the word was out he was there that weekend but I wonder how many people knew he'd actually be getting in the ring.

I fully intended to shit all over Cody Rhodes but he won me over. He worked really hard in both matches and was a super nice guy who didn't act big time at all. Even if he did big time everyone I was only gonna judge him on his work and he took it as hard as he was dishing it out. His wife is super hot.

Just so I don't get accused of being a PWG $hill I'll note the only thing I thought didn't deliver was that six man on Night 1. It was a fine match and the comedy was funny but it just went way too long before Fish/Kyle kicked it into serious mode and by then it may have been too late to take the match seriously. I talked to a couple people who were just waiting for the match to hit another gear and it never quite did.

Will probably keep posting thoughts as they come to me but great people, great shows, great atmosphere. Unforgettable weekend. Cannot wait for the 2017 version where the only thing I've predicted is HHH will attend at least one night.

(Speaking of which - Konnan showed up on Night 2 to see the Fenix/Pentagon match but got there too late so he just left. Came back on Night 3 for the second half of the show. He was sitting on the stage near a couple of WWE personnel apparently.)
"Whoa is me" - BuzzSawyer

wac

Post by wac » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:03 am

RobViper13 wrote:My weekend MVP was Fenix because for me he had the best match on Night 1, second best match on Night 2 & best match on Night 3. Not to mention the spot of the year. It's funny because last year I told him to do that during the lucha tag since nobody in the US had ever seen that spot done unless you're a hardcore AAA fan like myself.
Where can I see that spot in AAA?
Just so I don't get accused of being a PWG $hill I'll note the only thing I thought didn't deliver was that six man on Night 1. It was a fine match and the comedy was funny but it just went way too long before Fish/Kyle kicked it into serious mode and by then it may have been too late to take the match seriously. I talked to a couple people who were just waiting for the match to hit another gear and it never quite did.
I felt the same way about the Bucks/reDRagon match at All Star Weekend 11.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:48 pm

Can't wait to exchange takes with you all on this show in three months!

rwa2play

Post by rwa2play » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:26 pm

Gonna have to buy all three nights just to see the awesome insanity.

Rainmaker_F7

Post by Rainmaker_F7 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:31 pm

Wow, the preview of Night 1 is already on YT. Looks like Super Dragon and Excalibur aren't fucking around this time and they decided to have DVD's out as soon as possible. And rightfully so. I can't wait to watch all 3 shows.

itsberlo

Post by itsberlo » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:21 pm

RobViper13 wrote:I could go on for pages and pages about the entire weekend but more than likely will just keep jumping in posting shit I remember from the entire thing. Such an amazing weekend of wrestling. So many good matches that I forgot how good Sabre/End was until I watched the highlight video and remembered that was gonna be my top 3 MOTW at one point. Just like last year Night 2 was the show stealer. I'm biased (#porraAeroStar) so I prefered last year's Night 2 but everyone else said this was better. The worst match on Night 2 is the best match on most super indy shows. I had Kyle/Riddle as worst match but that's just because of my tastes. It wasn't bad at all.

The Night 2 main event was as great as is being hyped. It even featured a horribly blown spot but by the end you barely remembered it and it had no effect in whether the match was ***** or not. It was. Hopefully that kills the myth that you can't have a 5 star match with a screwed up spot. The last 45 seconds of that match are an all-time moment I'll never forget. One incredible counter spot... before you can even react another incredible innovative spot... then seconds later the triple SSP to perfection which got a mega pop.

Mundo/Sydal on Night 1 wasn't the best they could do and I think Mundo knew that so he came to impress on Sunday. It's really unfair because there were legit many ****+ matches this weekend that won't get the hype they deserve because the bar was set so high. Ricochet/Mundo & Ricochet/Cobb will be two examples of that. Even Andrews/Dunne which had excessive kickouts but nuclear heat live.

My weekend MVP was Fenix because for me he had the best match on Night 1, second best match on Night 2 & best match on Night 3. Not to mention the spot of the year. It's funny because last year I told him to do that during the lucha tag since nobody in the US had ever seen that spot done unless you're a hardcore AAA fan like myself. He said no way because the stuff hanging from the ceiling would get in the way. So when I saw them setting up for it this year I was like THIS IS GONNA RULE and the reaction was incredible. Meltzer even told me afterwards he wishes they wouldn't have done it so early in the match because nothing was going to top that move. (Yet they still had a ****1/2 or so match) Fenix also got to a cut a promo on Night 3 where you could really tell how important this weekend was to him. Pentagon Jr. cut an equally good promo for everyone in the crowd who understood Spanish. He started it off with "Sorry, no English" after his brother cut an English promo. LOL

Night 3 didn't drag like last year. Was just as hot in the building though. I disagreed with Meltzer saying the 3 way at the end was anti-climactic. I thought the crowd was really into it and shocked when young Will went out first. The Lee vs Scurll final was a tremendous mini match.

The booking is to be applauded because nobody expected some of the decisions and honestly it took balls to eliminate Pentagon Jr., Ciampa & Riddle in round 1. They were super over and the crowd could have quickly turned on the show AND the guys who beat them.

Really wish I could have seen more Jeff Cobb. He had a funny weekend. Work Ricochet on Friday. Work a low rent lucha indy show teaming with the rooster GALLO TAPADO JR. on Saturday. Work a 10 man comedy tag with Lyger on Sunday but during it have one of the best sequences of the weekend with Riddle (lucky AAW people who will get to see that). He's a legit beast and hopefully works more like this in season 3 of LU rather than Matanza who has to no-sell a lot more.

Kamaitachi fan stood behind my section on Night 2 & was hilarious. I hope they heard on her commentary because I want to hear Excalibur's reaction. She literally just yelled "Kamaitachi!" in a screeching voice the entire match. Kamaitachi took a suplex on the apron that has to be seen by everyone except Bix. The guy wants to die.

Brian Kendrick got a HUGE reaction once everyone in the building saw he was part of that 10 man match. I knew the word was out he was there that weekend but I wonder how many people knew he'd actually be getting in the ring.

I fully intended to shit all over Cody Rhodes but he won me over. He worked really hard in both matches and was a super nice guy who didn't act big time at all. Even if he did big time everyone I was only gonna judge him on his work and he took it as hard as he was dishing it out. His wife is super hot.

Will probably keep posting thoughts as they come to me but great people, great shows, great atmosphere. Unforgettable weekend. Cannot wait for the 2017 version where the only thing I've predicted is HHH will attend at least one night.

(Speaking of which - Konnan showed up on Night 2 to see the Fenix/Pentagon match but got there too late so he just left. Came back on Night 3 for the second half of the show. He was sitting on the stage near a couple of WWE personnel apparently.)
I agree 1000% with all of this especially with Fenix being the MVP of the weekend. There were some other great performances (Bucks, Ospreay, Scurll, etc.) however the things Fenix did were out of this world amazing. I am so happy for the guy as it seemed he was really moved by the amount of love he got from the fans that weekend.