Lets Talk About (Part 1)

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
Ckkj14

Lets Talk About (Part 1)

Post by Ckkj14 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:22 pm

Darby Allin

Thought I'd try this and see how it goes. Every few days I will give a wrestler that we can all give our thoughts on.

First up is Darby Allin. How far is this guys ceiling? He's a wrestler I personally enjoy watching and he is a brilliant underdog against bigger opponents. Not sure he's a wrestler I can ever see in the WWE (not sure he ever would want too) but he is someone if I was AEW i would be going after. I'd love to see someone like Jericho take him under his wing and matches v the likes of Omega and Page really fascinate me.

Recommended Watch - v Ethan Page (Evolve 81)

mlev76

Re: Lets Talk About (Part 1)

Post by mlev76 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:49 pm

It's hard to suggest a ceiling for anyone as the tectonic plates shift in the business. He still doesn't feel like someone who'd be given a shot in WWE, but given his long association with Gabe, his talent and their desire to not let other companies get any prospects, he may have a shot. He consistently steps up in big spots and has undeniable babyface sympathy for the beatings he takes. It took me a bit of time to 'get' him, but he's for sure grown on me throughout the last year.

AEW or ROH could very easily find space for him in the upper midcard and build him into something you could make an occasional main eventer out of.

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:05 pm

I had no idea who Darby Allin was before he wrestled in Defy. One thing that concerns me about his style is how insane he is, and much he risks his body. Don't get me wrong, I respect him for all of that and how much heart he has, but like Joey Janella, it's only a matter of time until he gets badly injured :(

That being said, he's awesome. Always fun to watch. WWE guy? Not yet, but he's definitely blowing up big time on the indies.

Here's a fun match he had with Matt Cross against reDRagon.

Angry216

Post by Angry216 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:29 pm

One of the best at being an underdog in a match. That and he's pretty crazy with the type of bumps and just general things he does in the ring. Of course, you worry that one day that might bite him, but people like him and Hiromu, if they weren't as reckless as they are, it would lessen their appeal to me( and I'm sure others). I am curious to see how he progresses and how far he can go. Especially now in this climate, as mlev pointed out.

mezomi

Post by mezomi » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:13 pm

Truthfully, I think Darby has been one of the most captivating wrestlers on the independent scene for quite some time. He wrestle's the indie style for sure, with his extreme spots and no selling, but the character he presents himself as gives a purpose to that style. He's just this lunatic who enjoys pain, which is a perfect twist on the typical daredevil, and his moveset and mannerisms play to that perfectly. Many flashy wrestlers today do moves because they look cool, which is fine, but Darby makes his wrestling exiting, flashy and meaningful, which is a rare combination on the depleted indie scene today.

I see him on 205 Live in the future unfortunately. He is an Evolve guy, and if he had aspirations other than WWE, I can't imagine that he would linger there. The door is wide open almost everywhere for a guy like him, that can go out every night and be consistently great. He would thrive anywhere that would give him a chance, but 205 Live would obviously never do him justice. An NXT run would be really fun, as would a stint in AEW.