WWE WrestleMania 35 - April 7, 2019

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
User avatar
BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member
Posts: 1502
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:02 pm

Re: WWE WrestleMania 35 - April 7, 2019

Post by BoxingRobes » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:34 pm

As much as y'all won't like this...but the WWE should move to having two nights of WrestleMania if they feel the need to have EVERYONE involved and have 20 matches. We are 365 days away from this legitimately being an 8 hour wrestling event.

You can do double main events, you can give matches real time to breathe if they are serious enough to be on Mania. Can separate the battle royals and multiman tag matches.

Mania is prime real estate for developing it to be a Saturday and Sunday event and it might be better off for it.

User avatar
dancecab
Posts: 636
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:46 am
Location: Toronto

Re: WWE WrestleMania 35 - April 7, 2019

Post by dancecab » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:02 pm

BoxingRobes wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:34 pm
As much as y'all won't like this...but the WWE should move to having two nights of WrestleMania if they feel the need to have EVERYONE involved and have 20 matches. We are 365 days away from this legitimately being an 8 hour wrestling event.

You can do double main events, you can give matches real time to breathe if they are serious enough to be on Mania. Can separate the battle royals and multiman tag matches.

Mania is prime real estate for developing it to be a Saturday and Sunday event and it might be better off for it.
I was saying this to my buddies. I think I would prefer the shows more. Since the length really hurts my enjoyment by the end. If I didn't have people over I might have been hating my life watching that chunk in between the Roman and Angle match. I was soo mentally checked out at that point. I also think I would have enjoyed it more if that chunk was removed and you put the Women's title match there.

User avatar
mlev76
Posts: 2575
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:32 pm
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: WWE WrestleMania 35 - April 7, 2019

Post by mlev76 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:35 pm

I wouldn't oppose a two day Mania. Or, if they insist on doing 7 hours, start the pre-show at 4, make it 3 hours and make the main show end at 11. I didn't find the length all that bad being there live, but being late and then the utter shit show of trying to get home made things all the worse.

User avatar
BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member
Posts: 1502
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:02 pm

Re: WWE WrestleMania 35 - April 7, 2019

Post by BoxingRobes » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:48 pm

mlev76 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:35 pm
I wouldn't oppose a two day Mania. Or, if they insist on doing 7 hours, start the pre-show at 4, make it 3 hours and make the main show end at 11. I didn't find the length all that bad being there live, but being late and then the utter shit show of trying to get home made things all the worse.
I thought the Mania crowd was very receptive and wanted to be involved in the show. I just felt it peaked at the Kofi moment and the grind of a 7-8 hour event in the stadium with a LOT of filler without stakes takes a toll on the crowd and how willing they are to get involved.

Felt Becky's moment and the match were tarnished a bit because of everything leading up to the event. That doesn't absolve it from not being up to par, but its a discussion point. Live crowds leading up to match were incredibly receptive to Ronda's heel work, Charlotte's heel work, and Becky's popularity and it didn't translate when the entrances happened...it didn't translate in the match (felt like people were sitting on their hands), and the crowd definitely wasn't expecting a finish when it happened, mostly because I feel they weren't paying attention to the work in the match.

A lot of this stuff, IMO, gets augmented with splitting it into two shows...or, maybe it doesn't, idk, but this 8 hour grind for all involved is for the birds.

User avatar
mlev76
Posts: 2575
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:32 pm
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: WWE WrestleMania 35 - April 7, 2019

Post by mlev76 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:32 pm

BoxingRobes wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:48 pm
mlev76 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:35 pm
I wouldn't oppose a two day Mania. Or, if they insist on doing 7 hours, start the pre-show at 4, make it 3 hours and make the main show end at 11. I didn't find the length all that bad being there live, but being late and then the utter shit show of trying to get home made things all the worse.
I thought the Mania crowd was very receptive and wanted to be involved in the show. I just felt it peaked at the Kofi moment and the grind of a 7-8 hour event in the stadium with a LOT of filler without stakes takes a toll on the crowd and how willing they are to get involved.

Felt Becky's moment and the match were tarnished a bit because of everything leading up to the event. That doesn't absolve it from not being up to par, but its a discussion point. Live crowds leading up to match were incredibly receptive to Ronda's heel work, Charlotte's heel work, and Becky's popularity and it didn't translate when the entrances happened...it didn't translate in the match (felt like people were sitting on their hands), and the crowd definitely wasn't expecting a finish when it happened, mostly because I feel they weren't paying attention to the work in the match.

A lot of this stuff, IMO, gets augmented with splitting it into two shows...or, maybe it doesn't, idk, but this 8 hour grind for all involved is for the birds.
See, I don't think her final moment got tarnished as it got a massive reaction in the building, but you are correct that the match suffered from crowd exhaustion. I almost feel like people knowing how many matches were to come was as much of a fatigue as the time itself. There were 5 matches in between the two big matches and even though only one was truly long, just knowing that you had those matches coming took people down a notch.

User avatar
BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member
Posts: 1502
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:02 pm

Re: WWE WrestleMania 35 - April 7, 2019

Post by BoxingRobes » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:40 pm

mlev76 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:32 pm
BoxingRobes wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:48 pm
mlev76 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:35 pm
I wouldn't oppose a two day Mania. Or, if they insist on doing 7 hours, start the pre-show at 4, make it 3 hours and make the main show end at 11. I didn't find the length all that bad being there live, but being late and then the utter shit show of trying to get home made things all the worse.
I thought the Mania crowd was very receptive and wanted to be involved in the show. I just felt it peaked at the Kofi moment and the grind of a 7-8 hour event in the stadium with a LOT of filler without stakes takes a toll on the crowd and how willing they are to get involved.

Felt Becky's moment and the match were tarnished a bit because of everything leading up to the event. That doesn't absolve it from not being up to par, but its a discussion point. Live crowds leading up to match were incredibly receptive to Ronda's heel work, Charlotte's heel work, and Becky's popularity and it didn't translate when the entrances happened...it didn't translate in the match (felt like people were sitting on their hands), and the crowd definitely wasn't expecting a finish when it happened, mostly because I feel they weren't paying attention to the work in the match.

A lot of this stuff, IMO, gets augmented with splitting it into two shows...or, maybe it doesn't, idk, but this 8 hour grind for all involved is for the birds.
See, I don't think her final moment got tarnished as it got a massive reaction in the building, but you are correct that the match suffered from crowd exhaustion. I almost feel like people knowing how many matches were to come was as much of a fatigue as the time itself. There were 5 matches in between the two big matches and even though only one was truly long, just knowing that you had those matches coming took people down a notch.
It sounded like it got a pop, but not the massive eruption like I would have otherwise expected to get after hearing the live crowd reactions for the participants leading up to the match. Ronda was hot. Becky was hot. Charlotte was established and always gets some sort of reaction. She's over. All of the participants were over. The angle was hot. The crowd for most of the match was very flat.

The end was out of nowhere and it seemed like the crowd needed a minute to understand what they just saw. idk, it just didn't seem like a huge moment like it should have been.

With that said...when I saw the run time for the match was 21m, I couldn't believe it. It didn't seem like a 20m match. Seemed shorter.

User avatar
cbacon87
Posts: 334
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:50 pm

Re: WWE WrestleMania 35 - April 7, 2019

Post by cbacon87 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:41 pm

If they split it into two nights, I don't think they're taking 8 hours and splitting it in two anyway. They want the big pre-game, the day long focus of attention on Twitter, the hours of content for the Network. They could do two shows with 20 matches, but they could also just as easily fill those two shows with 30 matches given the roster depth and have twice as much attention and content.

Until and unless there's an actual, tangible backlash to show getting longer, I imagine they think the benefits out-weigh the negatives.

User avatar
BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member
Posts: 1502
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:02 pm

Re: WWE WrestleMania 35 - April 7, 2019

Post by BoxingRobes » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:37 pm

cbacon87 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:41 pm
If they split it into two nights, I don't think they're taking 8 hours and splitting it in two anyway. They want the big pre-game, the day long focus of attention on Twitter, the hours of content for the Network. They could do two shows with 20 matches, but they could also just as easily fill those two shows with 30 matches given the roster depth and have twice as much attention and content.

Until and unless there's an actual, tangible backlash to show getting longer, I imagine they think the benefits out-weigh the negatives.
I have no problem with making it a 10 hour event if the result is better matches and less commitment in a 24 hour period.

I look at what HHH does with Takeover. I see what 205 Live does with their lone match on every PPV. I see what someone did with the Kofi angle.

Someone in-house knows what they are doing when it comes to making television for this product. But it seems not everyone is on the same page and these concepts, ideas, are not disseminated or diffused throughout the rest of the team.

This WrestleMania...I will say this...I don't think anything was actively bad, sloppy, etc. I thought everyone brought their working boots to a point. Its just not consistent. There is no reason why this company can't give ALL of their talent time to perform well with a little foresight. Two night event would have been perfect for this Mania. Brock-Rollins main events night one...Women's triple threat night two to close the event...fill in each undercard with appropriate matches. Maybe Triple H-Batista co-main eventing Night 1, Kofi-Bryan Night 2. idk. Just so many ways to do this that doesn't end up with a very boring 8 hours that end up pushing the main event (what you're ultimately trying to get over regardless of the undercard) to be something its not.

If you're gonna TELL STORIEZ, tell me the fucking story and do it right.

If you needed 35 minutes to tell me the Becky-Charlotte-Ronda match, then give me the f'n 35 minutes, tell me the story, and then I can judge it by its merits. As is, it looked and felt rushed. It came off a bit sloppy in part because it felt rushed. The story was cohesive. The end was poorly done regardless of the intent. If you're gonna tell me the story, tell me the story...don't have me start on Chapter 5...don't have pages torn out...its wrestling, you do not need to be a victim of booking yourself into a corner...you have your own network, you are not a victim of time cues, etc.

User avatar
BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member
Posts: 1502
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:02 pm

Re: WWE WrestleMania 35 - April 7, 2019

Post by BoxingRobes » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:39 pm

cbacon87 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:41 pm
If they split it into two nights, I don't think they're taking 8 hours and splitting it in two anyway. They want the big pre-game, the day long focus of attention on Twitter, the hours of content for the Network. They could do two shows with 20 matches, but they could also just as easily fill those two shows with 30 matches given the roster depth and have twice as much attention and content.

Until and unless there's an actual, tangible backlash to show getting longer, I imagine they think the benefits out-weigh the negatives.
Also, just as an aside...the benefits of running two nights is very straight forward.

One night of "86K" or two nights of "50K"...the answer to which is more profitable is obvious.

As is, they are already overbooking things and include 97% of the active roster talent.

User avatar
cbacon87
Posts: 334
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:50 pm

Re: WWE WrestleMania 35 - April 7, 2019

Post by cbacon87 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:32 pm

Oh, I get the benefits of running two nights, I just think if people are holding out hope that two nights equals shorter shows they might be disappointed.

I agree that splitting it over two nights might well result in better shows.

User avatar
supersonic
Posts: 3330
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:12 am
Location: Edgar Martinez Dr S
Contact:

Re: WWE WrestleMania 35 - April 7, 2019

Post by supersonic » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:36 pm




User avatar
cbacon87
Posts: 334
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:50 pm

Re: WWE WrestleMania 35 - April 7, 2019

Post by cbacon87 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:16 pm

So finally finishing off the show, maybe the main event was a lot better for watching it on a Tuesday evening but I really enjoyed it until the finish. Seemed like there was a lot working against it, between the obvious, plus minor stuff like Cole's voice being shot and the table not breaking perfectly, but they beat the crap out of each other and had enough creative spots to keep me interested.

I think the match that deserves credit but isn't going to get it is Balor and Lashley. Considering the spot they were in, they had a really fun sprint and probably had the best match they could in the situation. And in that spirit, I don't know how much credit HHH is going to get (well, I do), but I think he probably held that Batista match together. Pity he wasn't there to hold Batista's entrance together too, between Dave throwing a fit at them not opening the door at the right time and then just a bizarre fall into the ring, to the point that it looked like he did it deliberately. Weird.

User avatar
mlev76
Posts: 2575
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:32 pm
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: WWE WrestleMania 35 - April 7, 2019

Post by mlev76 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:36 pm

cbacon87 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:16 pm
So finally finishing off the show, maybe the main event was a lot better for watching it on a Tuesday evening but I really enjoyed it until the finish. Seemed like there was a lot working against it, between the obvious, plus minor stuff like Cole's voice being shot and the table not breaking perfectly, but they beat the crap out of each other and had enough creative spots to keep me interested.

I think the match that deserves credit but isn't going to get it is Balor and Lashley. Considering the spot they were in, they had a really fun sprint and probably had the best match they could in the situation. And in that spirit, I don't know how much credit HHH is going to get (well, I do), but I think he probably held that Batista match together. Pity he wasn't there to hold Batista's entrance together too, between Dave throwing a fit at them not opening the door at the right time and then just a bizarre fall into the ring, to the point that it looked like he did it deliberately. Weird.
I'm sure they didn't show it on tv, but a possible cause of the entrance being long was that the cars he came out in were having a hard time getting back behind the screen. The maneuvering took a while and they obviously had to have that done before HHH could enter.

User avatar
Joe Lanza
Site Admin
Posts: 2732
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:00 pm

Re: WWE WrestleMania 35 - April 7, 2019

Post by Joe Lanza » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:41 am

After a bit of reflection, I'm now convinced this is one of the most overrated shows of all time.

I didnt even dislike it. But all of this talk of being an all time great Mania is so confusing to me. It was a 7.5 hour show with one truly great match, and like three other good bouts.

Maybe I'm hyper focused on good matches, or maybe im just way to disconnected emotionally to the company. But this show was as average as average gets, with the boost of several satisying feel good finishes.

User avatar
mlev76
Posts: 2575
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:32 pm
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: WWE WrestleMania 35 - April 7, 2019

Post by mlev76 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:13 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:41 am
After a bit of reflection, I'm now convinced this is one of the most overrated shows of all time.

I didnt even dislike it. But all of this talk of being an all time great Mania is so confusing to me. It was a 7.5 hour show with one truly great match, and like three other good bouts.

Maybe I'm hyper focused on good matches, or maybe im just way to disconnected emotionally to the company. But this show was as average as average gets, with the boost of several satisying feel good finishes.
or maybe watching it a day later spoiled after a long few days of travel tainted your view much like sitting ringside at MSG also shaped your view of that show.

Post Reply