WWE WrestleMania 35 - April 7, 2019

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
supersonic

WWE WrestleMania 35 - April 7, 2019

Post by supersonic » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:01 am

Airing LIVE on Sunday, April 7 at 7PM Eastern/4PM Pacific exclusively on the WWE Network! Two-hour pre-show expected. Pre-show kicks off at 5PM Eastern/2PM Pacific.

Taking place at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ. First-market tickets are currently SOLD OUT.

The card:

Hosted by Alexa Bliss

Raw Tag Titles Match
The Revival vs. Zack Ryder & Curt Hawkins

2nd Annual WrestleMania Women's Battle Royal

6th Annual Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal

Cruiserweight Title Match
Buddy Murphy vs. Tony Nese

Women's Tag Titles Match
Bayley & Sasha Banks vs. Tamina & Nia Jax vs. The IIconics vs. Beth Phoenix & Natalya

IC Title Match
Bobby Lashley vs. Finn Balor

SmackDown Tag Titles Match
The Usos vs. Ricochet & Aleister Black vs. The Bar vs. Rusev & Shinsuke Nakamura

Falls Count Anywhere Match
Shane McMahon vs. The Miz

Dream Match for the US Title
Samoa Joe vs. Rey Mysterio

Kurt Angle's Retirement
Kurt Angle vs. Baron Corbin

AJ Styles vs. Randy Orton

Hardcore Match with Triple H’s Career on the Line
Triple H vs. Batista

Roman Reigns vs. Drew McIntyre

WWE Title Match
Daniel Bryan vs. Kofi Kingston

Universal Title Match
Brock Lesnar vs. Seth Rollins

Winner Take All for the Raw and SmackDown Women's Titles
No DQ, No Count Out Match

Ronda Rousey vs. Charlotte vs. Becky Lynch

Last edited by supersonic on Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

supersonic

Re: WWE WrestleMania 35 - April 7, 2019

Post by supersonic » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:26 pm

With so many great potential workrate matchups on paper, do we trust the company to pace the show for any of them to actually be absolute all-time classics a la the typical Wrestle Kingdom?

Last year was supposed to be exactly that, and instead we only got one great match, but it was just a great match, not an all-time absolute classic.

IIDXias

Post by IIDXias » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:52 am

top four matches look pretty good here, meaning roman/drew, bryan/kofi, brock/seth & the main. if even, like, two of them deliver i'll consider it a win i guess. the problem with mania nowadays of course is that those four matches have to carry a show of interminable length

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:17 pm

Drew does absolutely nothing for me. Interested in Rollins v Brock, Kofi v Bryan and the Maim. Doubt I'll bother going to the show as the rest do nothing for me

IIDXias

Post by IIDXias » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:05 am

Ckkj14 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:17 pm
Drew does absolutely nothing for me. Interested in Rollins v Brock, Kofi v Bryan and the Maim. Doubt I'll bother going to the show as the rest do nothing for me
oh yeah there’s no way i’m going either. just hoping for a decent show to watch at home this year, because the track record there hasn’t been very good. last year they managed to have half of a good show but it fell off one hell of a cliff

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:48 pm

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:26 pm

Just let Asuka and Strowman murder everybody.

SuperplexlariatBW

Post by SuperplexlariatBW » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:55 am

Battle royal participants.

https://www.wwe.com/shows/wrestlemania/ ... ttle-royal

So they've scrapped the Usos v. Hardys. Are the Usos still expected to leave? This may be the reason why the match was dropped. Their deals were said to be up in April so it would be any week now then when they disappear.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:01 pm

SuperplexlariatBW wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:55 am
Battle royal participants.

https://www.wwe.com/shows/wrestlemania/ ... ttle-royal

So they've scrapped the Usos v. Hardys. Are the Usos still expected to leave? This may be the reason why the match was dropped. Their deals were said to be up in April so it would be any week now then when they disappear.
I can't imagine the Usos aren't on the show in some capacity, so I imagine they do a tag match of some sort.

Major names currently unassigned:
Usos
Revival
Bar
Black/Ricochet
Owens
Rusev
Nakamura
R Truth
Cena

Pretty sure there are 2-3 more matches involving these people

arc20good

Post by arc20good » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:25 pm

Baron Corbin on photo is so fun :lol:

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:59 am

Entire lineup posted in OP.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:52 am

My top 3 takeaways:

Bryan Danielson proves himself yet again that he's the king of heel title defenses. That was on par with anything from his ROH Title reign, and significantly better than his loss to Homicide at Final Battle 2006. He's also now delivered two classics at WrestleMania, two more than AJ Styles has done after 4 consecutive WrestleMania's. Bryan is the true heir to the Mr. WrestleMania throne, the only one one in WWE worthy of being compared to Shawn Michaels.

If anyone defends the way Lesnar and/or Rousey lost, I pose this question. What if Thanos goes down like either one of them did tonight?

This has been 4 straight WrestleMania’s that didn’t end in epic fashion, with only 1 of 16 matches over a 7.5 hour period actually being a classic. What’s my motivation to attend one again?

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:26 am

supersonic wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:52 am
My top 3 takeaways:

Bryan Danielson proves himself yet again that he's the king of heel title defenses. That was on par with anything from his ROH Title reign, and significantly better than his loss to Homicide at Final Battle 2006. He's also now delivered two classics at WrestleMania, two more than AJ Styles has done after 4 consecutive WrestleMania's. Bryan is the true heir to the Mr. WrestleMania throne, the only one one in WWE worthy of being compared to Shawn Michaels.

If anyone defends the way Lesnar and/or Rousey lost, I pose this question. What if Thanos goes down like either one of them did tonight?

This has been 4 straight WrestleMania’s that didn’t end in epic fashion, with only 1 of 16 matches over a 7.5 hour period actually being a classic. What’s my motivation to attend one again?
The fans wanted Becky to win and she did. Mania ended with her holding both belts and the stadium screaming for her. By me, that was the scene. That or thankfulness that the show was over because everyone was exhausted.

I went higher than apparently everyone on the women's match as I thought it was great despite it's flaws. There were plenty of great moments and good matches beyond the matches you mentioned. Nothing bad to be found. As my first live Mania, it lived up to and perhaps exceeded my expectations.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:53 am

Fans also still popped for Sting tapping Hogan out at Starrcade, but that’s not the legacy of it. Once the dust settled, it became clear what a black eye that whole thing turned out to be.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:11 pm

Buddy Murphy (c) v. Tony Nese - ***1/2
This was a good match that was held down by two things - the pre-show crowd and Vince's obsession with making MOMENTZ tonight. The pre-show was all about making local NYC jobbers champions at WrestleMania. cool?

Women's Battle Royal - inoffensive

Revival (c) v. Major Bros - just a regular ol ** type RAW match with the wrong result

Andre Battle Royal - nonsense

---

Brock Lesnar (c) v. Seth Rollins - N/R
I loathe these matches that Brock loses like this. This and that last Reigns match were such shit. I can't get behind long title reigns or dominant title reigns that end with such a whimper. Everyone involved just wanted to get this one out of the way and be done with it. What was the point of being such a dominant champ and losing like a chump?

AJ Styles v. Randy Orton - ***1/4
This was a good match. But, they gave it 15 minutes, no one really cared. This is main event of Smackdown type material. Unnecessary.

Smackdown Tag Titles - ***
This was a good match. This is main event of Smackdown or undercard of a C level PPV type match, IMO. You sprinkle the pre-show with this type of match.

Shane McMahon v. The Miz - ***
The work was inoffensive. It was a bit long at whatever they were at (15m or so?)...the spot to finish the match was what they wanted the moment to be..cool? Didn't do anything for me and I have trouble remembering much of anything but the suplex at the end.

Women's Tag Titles - two-star special.
You could see if on Sasha's face. They gave it 10 minutes.

Daniel Bryan (c) v. Kofi Kingston - ****1/2
I absolutely loved this match and idc what anyone else thinks. This whole program worked for me even when they devolved into melodramatic bullshit. Story hit for me. Bell-to-bell it was excellent. The ancillary characters did their work. The crowd was molton for this. This was the real main event and it stole the show. Special moment. Everything was done right. Main roster Match of the Year and I doubt anything will come close. I want to think I'll remember this one forever.

Samoa Joe (c) v. Rey Mysterio - idk, but it was perfect.
Excellent 1m squash. Much needed get-in, get-out.

Roman Reigns v. Drew McIntyre - two star spectrum faire
This came off as any ol 10 minute C level PPV match. It was ok, I guess.

Triple H v. Batista
They legitimately gave this entire segment 45 minutes on a card that was clearly running long at this point. When matches like the main event happen, you look back on matches like this and provide ample reasons why the main event is so divisive. If you love mid-00s WWE main event style, you probably like this. It was way too long that it actively took away from what was probably a solid match of its style.

Baron Corbin v. Kurt Angle
Things like this need to happen much much earlier in the card. Give it 5m or less and get the moment out of the way, especially if you aren't going to use Cena in a spot like this.

Bobby Lashley (c) v. DEE MOAN Balor
Should have left on the cutting room floor. The crowd is clearly falling asleep at this point.

Ronda Rousey (c) v. Charlotte Flair (c) v. Becky Lynch
This is what happens when you have a 20 match, 7h30m run time event on the backend of a 5 day weekend filled with wrestling since Wednesday. The crowd was dead tired after the Kofi match. They cleared everything out of the way to give this match a real opportunity to shine until they segment started at like 1145 and told'em to hurry up before they walked out.

I've seen enough wrestling in my life to know when a match is being rushed. This match was rushed. They cut the entire feeling out period at the top of the match and the finish felt so abrupt...right at what should have been the start of the climactic finish. Couple that with what seems to be a sloppy finish that raises doubt about the finality of the finish. Also, the show cut off very abruptly after Becky won.

Inside of this match, there was A LOT of good. However, it felt a bit slow, disjointed, a bit sloppy and not in the charming Charlotte way that just works. It felt like Vince and the crew didn't care about the quality, wanted them out in 20m (which, in hindsight seems like plenty of time, but idk, it felt like it wasn't). I'd give this one a gentleman's ***1/2, I guess? I blame a lot of it on circumstance, I suppose.