WWE NXT (Discussion)

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
supersonic

Re: WWE NXT 2019 (A-show schedule in OP)

Post by supersonic » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:04 pm

supersonic

Re: WWE NXT 2019 (USA Network debut on 9/18)

Post by supersonic » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:39 pm

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:03 pm

greenmanRD

Post by greenmanRD » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:00 pm

Think this is pretty bad news for NXT all things considered. Sure, they're going to make more money, but getting national TV demands for a developmental brand/company has a very good chance to ruin this brand. All the good will WWE has built with NXT by keeping it as its own separate thing could easily be undone once TV execs and Vince get done with it.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:27 pm

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:07 pm

greenmanRD wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:00 pm
Think this is pretty bad news for NXT all things considered. Sure, they're going to make more money, but getting national TV demands for a developmental brand/company has a very good chance to ruin this brand. All the good will WWE has built with NXT by keeping it as its own separate thing could easily be undone once TV execs and Vince get done with it.
This is = to ECW airing on TNN.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:47 pm

BoxingRobes wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:07 pm
greenmanRD wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:00 pm
This is = to ECW airing on TNN.
I don't think you can compare the two as I have no doubt that the financial compensation will easily dwarf in timeframe comparable numbers what ECW got. Further, there is no WWE looming to take their time slot and I suspect USA is all too happy to have more WWE programming given how much better it does than the rest of its programming. I'm not sure it will creatively be a hit, but financially, it will certainly be a net positive.

greenmanRD

Post by greenmanRD » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:47 pm

I don't think this is like ECW financially, but you could make the argument creatively. I do think the network getting involved + Vince are going to really ruin some of the very things that made NXT a unique brand within WWE. A one hour show that involves a lot of angles + squash matches is not going to be stretched to a two hour show or at least one that many people will watch. Soon enough, NXT is going to be oversaturated with too much TV time to fill, and the Takeovers will suffer as a result too. Big matches will be more common, guys will lose some of their luster, they won't be nearly as protected, and their debuts on the 'main roster' are going to be less of a deal than they are for many of them now. Pretty much the only people this is going to be good for are WWE board members or stockholders, which doesn't really affect me at all, so whatever.

Creatively though, this is most likely going to be a nightmare, and it's hard to envision how NXT succeeds as a show on USA. It's not going to do RAW numbers, it probably won't even do Smackdown numbers, so who knows what the future of this brand is going to be. It would not surprise me if NXT is back on the WWE Network exclusively by the end of 2020 though, albeit with a much damaged reputation.

TGD287

Post by TGD287 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:48 pm

We just got through talking about how soulless Takeover, and the brand overall is. While I have the same concerns as everyone else, let's not act like the shows as is are doing great.

achillesforever6

Post by achillesforever6 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:01 pm

They have way too much talent for a 1 hr show imo

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:45 am

achillesforever6 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:01 pm
One of the worst aspects of main roster WWE is the fact you see every one every week like its the damn circus coming to town.

One of the best aspects of NXT at its best is when they don't give you every one every week. They go in and out of this trend, but they are at their worst when you see their entire roster with regularity.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:46 am

I am convinced if you gave Damien Priest a similar level push as Baron Corbin you'd have a already made a star (as much of a star as WWE can make these days) in Priest.

Shouldn't even be in NXT...he doesn't seem like a guy they give a title run to, but a guy Vince would love. He's been a good worker in WWE, too.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:12 pm

BoxingRobes wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:45 am
achillesforever6 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:01 pm
One of the worst aspects of main roster WWE is the fact you see every one every week like its the damn circus coming to town.

One of the best aspects of NXT at its best is when they don't give you every one every week. They go in and out of this trend, but they are at their worst when you see their entire roster with regularity.
You need to just watch Smackdown to see that the two hour format allows for more flexibility in not having to have everyone on all the time. NXT actually has a larger roster than SDL, so I don't think this will be an issue. Further, they can do more personality pieces and not load every hour with matches.

ThommyGunn

Post by ThommyGunn » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:00 pm

I really liked the show on the 21st and I think that if Vince doesn't get involved too much and they keep the same spirit going forward NXT could actually improve with an added hour. If they really wanna compete with AEW I think they need to have a work-rate old school type of program and I'm assuming they understand that at least a little...

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:57 pm

ThommyGunn wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:00 pm
I really liked the show on the 21st and I think that if Vince doesn't get involved too much and they keep the same spirit going forward NXT could actually improve with an added hour. If they really wanna compete with AEW I think they need to have a work-rate old school type of program and I'm assuming they understand that at least a little...
Here's the thing about "competing with AEW." Barring a major disaster or a major underestimation about who will watch AEW, NXT will be beating AEW at least initially. Their last USA special did over 800k and I'd be very surprised to see a regular show do less and to see AEW do more. By way of comparison, Miz and Mrs. does about a million a week and I suspect they'll get around that out of the gate.

The idea of Vince getting involved is a weird ongoing narrative that ignores his desire to back off micromanaging the main roster. I don't think that was done to come in and focus on NXT. I get the concern, but I also don't see any evidence other than speculation.