WWE NXT (Discussion)

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
supersonic

Re: WWE NXT 2019 (A-show schedule in OP)

Post by supersonic » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:41 pm

As long as Strong gets a layered story that (barring injury) results in his hometown coronation at Takeover: Tampa, then all is good.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:36 pm

Takeover: San Jose confirmed for Saturday, June 8. First time since 2015 that the show will not have to share buzz with any other events.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:07 pm

Assuming a title change, should Dunne vs. Walter be structured like Homicide vs. Morishima? I've linked the match for those who've never seen it.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:11 am

The War Raiders (c) v. Aleister Black and Ricochet - ****1/2
Leader in the clubhouse for the best tag match through the first third of the year. Excellent match.

Velveteen Dream (c) v. Matt RIddle - ****1/2
Very close to bumping this one another quarter star. Absolutely great in-ring storytelling that allowed the crowd to breath after the opener before sprinting to the finish. Excellent match.

Pete Dunne (c) v. WALTER - ****1/2
I love seeing the evolution of Pete Dunne...he even looks like a hardened grizzled veteran of war with the obnoxiously long hair and grimy beard. If I am fantasy storytelling here, this one seemed like an interesting sequel to Devlin-Walter from year. Its like Dunne watched that match to study for Walter. He knew what was coming, but couldn't stop it. The brutality of WALTER over a 15+ minute match just needs to be appreciated. I appreciated the match. What a match.

Shayna Baszler (c) v. Io Shirai v. Bianca Belair v. Kairi Sane - ****1/4
I.LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVED.THAT.FINISH.

Shayna should walk down that entire football field they call a ramp at Mania and choke out all the bishes in the main event and close the show. Tell me why not.

Johnny Gargano v. Adam Cole - *****
Its five stars. One of the best matches I've ever seen in my life. I nearly had three heart attacks.

This is a special show. Maybe the greatest in WWE history. The crowd was molton all night. I'm envious of everyone that was there live.

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:06 am

The closing moments of basically every match were just incredible. Every match was good. Every match delivered. I want to watch this multiple times.

JB Gremlin

Post by JB Gremlin » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:31 am

I'm not as high as some others on the main event but I thought this was top to bottom the best WWE produced show in years and years. The last few Takeover's have been getting up there in terms of quality but the main event's haven't been too hot. This main event was really great in spite of a few questionable moments (they both looked lost in the last moments of the first fall for example) and topped off a great show with a great moment, I'm very curious as to what they do with Gargano now, there are a multitude of challengers I'd love to see him face on the roster but I'm not sure how long we should expect this run to last and if they still have any intentions of a main roster spot. One thing I really wouldn't fancy is a Cole rematch, I really don't feel they've got much more they can do after last night but I can very much see them going to a hardcore match next. I'd much rather see O'Reilly, Strong, Riddle, Dunne, Lee etc get a main event shot.

The tag match was just about my favourite on the show, War Raiders are having a hell of a run in NXT.

On a downer note, I thought Mauro was outright bad for a lot of the night and Percy comes across as someone who has all his lines prepared preshow and says them regardless of what is happening in the ring.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:32 pm

This is incredible, and everyone should watch it.

cbacon87

Post by cbacon87 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:40 pm

I enjoyed 3 of the 5 and the other two were objectively good, I guess. Thought the tag and the main were both fantastic and enjoyed the women's match. Riddle and Dream I found weird, purely because Riddle was acting weird. He seemed to be working heel, or de-facto heel, to the point that I completely expected him to turn on Dream post match. And then he just snapped out of it and was Matt Riddle again, so I dunno. Maybe Matt Riddle is just weird.

My expectations for that match ranged from 'could be awesome' to 'could just not work' though, so I wasn't tremendously disappointed. WALTER and Dunne though, I simply never got into. The video package was awesome and I just spent the match waiting to be picked up to that level. Slow, methodical, never really went into the next gear. Maybe I just expected something different, but WALTER didn't look like a monster, aside from the chops he didn't really do anything memorable and I thought the finish was pretty flat given it was the end of Dunne's big reign. Watch the crowd post match and they're not going nuts, it's respectful applause, which is probably my feeling on it- I can't say it was bad, but it never grabbed me.
JB Gremlin wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:31 am
On a downer note, I thought Mauro was outright bad for a lot of the night and Percy comes across as someone who has all his lines prepared preshow and says them regardless of what is happening in the ring.
Agreed. Mauro is what Mauro is, but some of his attempts to shoehorn references in are getting towards Striker levels.

My other issue is, when TNA put old matches up on Youtube, it really hits me how Tenay and Don West spend the entire show shouting at the top of their lungs and how exhausting it is and Mauro's the same. I get why people love his passion, but 3 hours of him selling 5 equally important matches was a lot to take in.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:12 am

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:59 am

Velveteen Dream v. Buddy Murphy is just as good as you'd think it is.

Dream really is a prodigy. He's incredible and one of the best wrestlers on planet earth.

If he were on the Indies doing what he's been doing for the past two years people would be voting for him for the Bryan Danielson Award. He could be a legitimate superstar.

Buddy Murphy is the most improved wrestler in the world over the past 365 Days. In the world. A damn shame we are gonna lose him to Smackdown.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:36 am

Shayna v. Kairi was really fucking good and felt brutal. The ANGLE at the end was outstanding. Was popping. Shayna's so good, man. Its like she watches prime Samoa Joe and Bryan Danielson matches.

Io Shirai's acting tho...dying.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:54 am

idk where else to put this...but...

Tyler Bate v. Brian Kendrick on one of these Worlds Collide shows was really good and you should watch it.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:01 am

I am all-in on a Candice and Kacy team. These two seem like a perfect match for a tag team.

It was so f'n sloppy, but I loved War Viking Raider Experience versus the Profits. Will stan for this one in the future.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:34 pm

True or false:

Takeover: Tampa’s closing moment will be Tampa native Roderick Strong dethroning Adam Cole for the NXT Title.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:30 pm

supersonic wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:34 pm
True or false:

Takeover: Tampa’s closing moment will be Tampa native Roderick Strong dethroning Adam Cole for the NXT Title.
Strong would be in his fourth year in NXT and Cole in his third if this were to happen. I'm more inclined to think Cole gets called up in the next 12 months than Strong, but I'd like to think both were main roster bound before then.

If not, certainly would be a nice moment.