All Elite Wrestling (Discussion)

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
mlev76

Re: Official All Elite Wrestling (AEW) Thread

Post by mlev76 » Fri May 31, 2019 7:58 pm

That's a pretty great number. One would think you can get at least 500K watching weekly with that sort of buy in

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:02 pm

ALL OUT SUITE RENTAL INFO

Sign up for a potential spot - https://www.signupgenius.com/go/30E084E ... FA7-aewall

I received this email:
Good Afternoon,

Attached is the Suite Rental Information for All Out on August 31st at Sears Centre Arena!

I will start to make my way through the list of everyone that has inquired about a suite rentals in the order in which folks have reached out to me. Please do not call or email to try and get in sooner. I am the sole individual taking care of the suite rentals and any disruptions will only delay the opportunities for each other.

We will be taking 50% of the suite payment now as a non-refundable deposit and automatically charge the remaining 50% on Monday June 17th after the ticket on-sale.

I would imagine we will have all suites reserved prior to this weekend. Thanks again for your interest in All Out!

Mike
MIKE CZOPEK
Director of Partnerships

Sears Centre Arena
5333 Prairie Stone Parkway
Hoffman Estates, IL 60192

Office Direct: 847.649.2227
Cell: 331.235.4774
E: [email protected]

Spectra Venue Management
www.searscentre.com
www.SpectraExperiences.com

I've not been told yet what's available for me, but I'd go for the cheapest option that's shown here. If the cheapest option is available, I will ask for $90 per ticket. (No matter which suite option, each ticket would have a $5 convenience fee due to the obvious stress/cost reduction in securing this suite compared to regularly buying tickets when they go on sale or getting them on the secondary market.)

Should we manage to actually make this happen, 100% of the convenience fees will be donated to Stomp Out Bullying.

For info on Stomp Out Bullying - https://www.stompoutbullying.org/
Last edited by supersonic on Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:44 am

Good Evening,

Thank you for your interest in a suite rental for All Out, however at this time all available suites have been reserved. We will keep you in the loop if anything new becomes available or is opened up.

Thanks,
Mike

MIKE CZOPEK
Director of Partnerships

TGD287

Post by TGD287 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:25 am

Appreciate the effort. Already saw someone selling suite seats at $100 profit (which is fair).

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:33 pm

themib

Post by themib » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:51 pm

Quite a few indie wrestling shows surrounding All Out - AAW have their Jim Lynam Memorial Tournament the two days before, there's a Warrior Wrestling show as well, and RISE just announced a show for the Berwyn Eagles Club on Sunday September 1st.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:12 am

Prelude ramble: Around December '18, Jan '19 I got hit with the worst wrestling malaise of my fandom. I tried keeping up with my faves like NJPW but every raved match, every big angle, just left me feeling "meh" so I decided to call it quits until I actually wanted to watch wrestling again. Since AEW was a promotion second and a Youtube video series first at this point, it was the promotion I kept up even when I wasn't really following or watching. (Not to say I won't ever go back to NJPW or other faves but as of now I'm still in wait-and-see mode on them. I can only blame myself, since I got into this swamp of feeling like I had to watch everything, had to kept up with everything, and if there was something I didn't enjoy, but others did, I should probably give it a second chance. A painful mindset, but one that is easy to absorb in this fandom.)

When I finally watched DoN, I think my priorities with wrestling had shifted - not changed precisely, because I still liked all the things I enjoyed previously, cool moves, intriguing characters and hosses going at it. But I also found that I really hungered for that storytelling structure around the physical action. It wasn't really enough to see an awesome match in a complete vacuum, no matter how competent and compelling the wrestlers themselves were.

To an extent, AEW was perfect for the kind of mindset I had found myself in. Some matches on DoN did not have a huge storyline surrounding them, but for a new promotion, their story was simply, "look at these new people, let's see what they got". But everything else had had time to build up. So for its flaws (the commentary was awkward at times), it was just a show I could finally watch and just relax watching. I knew what to expect going in, having kept up with the additional promo material online, and everything that was new, was intended as such. Even going in spoiled, I just had a tremendous time with the show.

So coming into Fyter Fest, I was already prepared to be into it.

CD vs CIMA was a great opener, though with some commentary roughness. The women's match was good, though lacked a flow. I would've enjoyed a singles match more, I think, between any combination of the three.

The four-way had a similar issue, though I don't know what would've been the best combinations of the four to make into two singles matches. The obvious one, Hangman vs MJF, would be burning a match that could easily headline a show. This match was surprisingly hyped, though, and I enjoyed it a lot. Hangman vs MJF is a feud that could honestly build and build, and eventually become something superb. They have the characters, they have the promo work, and I think they had in-ring chemistry here, too.

My only problem is that they had to shove Havoc in here, and put him on the losing end, too. As a huge Havoc fan (great mic guy, great character, one of the best deathmatch guys out there) I can only hope his loss here spurs him into an angle that makes him a big heel like in PROGRESS. You can't and won't recreate that magic, but if you can build a story that takes advantage of all his best attributes, then I'll be happy. You never ever want to be the promotion where Jimmy Havoc is "just a guy". That is not his role.

Cody vs Darby Allin was honestly not a match I had any sort of expectations of. I'd heard a great many things about Darby but since a bulk of his work was in EVOLVE, a promotion you'd have to pay me to sit through, I just hadn't seen it. I loved his promo stuff for AEW, though. So this match was just a perfect example of unexpected triumphs, something that builds and builds to an absolute fever pitch. I loved the time limit draw, I just loved this match. I cannot believe Cody is 2 for 2 on the best match of the night, but I guess it helps that he's broken out, both as a character and as a worker, and he can build exactly the kind of match that plays to his own strengths. He's not trying to wrestle WWE style of match, nor an indy super-show style of match, or even a NJPW main event style of match. He's wrestling his kind of wrestling - kind of old school, somewhat technical, with plenty of character beats thrown in. And you know what? I really like Cody's style of pro wrestling.

I fucking hated the Shawn Spears shit afterwards, but they totally got me heated in a genuine way. How fucking dare you, Ten guy. Cody got you this job! Asshole.

Anyway, the Elite vs Lucha Bros+Laredo six-man was just a ton of fun. Dumb fun at times, but still, fun.

The main event was good. I thought the non-sanctioned set up was cheesy, but in a way you kind of enjoy as opposed to rolling your eyes at. I'm not sure what I expected, but I did feel somewhat letdown. I think the show felt a tad too long, even if it wasn't, and this match, cut down in length a little, would've been the thing I needed. As it was on the longer side, it was more 2AM at Spring Break, not midnight when you're still hype as fuck and ready for carnage.

Great show altogether, though. I'm so happy this promotion exists.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:21 am

So few thoughts -

I thought the last pre-show got shit on too hard and was one of the few who actually enjoyed it. This one however was awful. The tag match was good but went on a little too long. The lights out stuff again didn't get over at all though. People need to see them in action to get over. Then the final 2 matches of the pre show were both pretty bad especially the Leva Bates match which if someone was watching for the first time could well put them off.

The main show was good if not great, and didn't reach the heights of Double or Nothing but then again not every card is.
I enjoyed everything to an extent but the final 3 matches were all very good and I think i maybe the high man on the 6 man tag at ****1/2. Loved that match.

Cody v Darby was good and told a story which should really help getting Darby over. He can be their Mick Foley if booked correctly. Not to sound crass but the chairshot doesn't bother me one bit. If Cody wants to do that then fair play and I actually enjoyed it and it sets up a nice angle after Cody called Shawn "a good hand" in a road to video.

The main event i went ***3/4 on. Didn't get to the heights of Mox v Juice for me but i still enjoyed it and they both went out their and killed themselves to get the match over. It will be interesting to see how Mox's G1 run goes as he's been very enjoyable so far but his matches have used a lot of shortcuts. The closing angle with Kenny was also very good and has me pumped for that match.

Overall a 7/10 show id say but I'm absolutely in love with this promotion and where it is going. Between AEW and the G1 the next few months should be some fantastic wrestling

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:35 pm

I didn't watch DON until this past Sunday, so I came in very much spoiled and while I liked it and loved the Cody match, overall, I was probably less high coming and coming out of that show. I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to watch Fyter Fest live, but caught everything from the second match on. On the positive side of things, there was not a bad on the main show. I did see some of the preshow and while the tag match was very good, the rest was utter shit.

The best part of the main show was that there was a lot of diversity amongst the matches and that led the show to be a very easy watch. I thought the six man was the best match of the night even if I felt it got too silly, too spotty at times. I'd probably have the women's match second with everything else ranging from 3 to 3 1/2 stars.

The negative on the show was, as of yet, there is no plan to convert casual fans or draw in lapsed fans. Now, I get this was a bit of a one off show with an appeal to gamers, but I can't imagine not being a diehard AEW fan or hardcore wrestling fan and wanting to watch another one of these shows. They get a bit of a pass on this since they don't have a weekly show yet to build a vision appealing to that group, so I think that is not a huge problem yet.

The other negative was in both the Cody/Darby match and the Moxley/Janela match, the post match angles caused the losers of the matches to disappear rather quickly from the scene when they needed to have their actions and the result focussed on. The main event wasn't egregious as Joey got enough time to shine and memorable stuff that it was ok to move on quickly, but the Darby thing really bothered me. Here you have a new, fresh talent who goes to the limit with one of the standard bearers of the company-and he's completely forgotten immediately post-match. That's not a good look.

Overall, amongst the 3 "big shows" I saw this week, I'd say it was the best between this, Stomping Grounds and Best in the World. Not as good as Double or Nothing, but I don't think they tried for it to be on that level.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:03 am

Overall I thought that Fyter Fest was a fun and easy watch, but it did expose some early flaws with this promotion that I could more or less ignore during Double or Nothing.

My main complaint with AEW at the moment is that it sure seems like there a lot of matches that either have no stakes or confusing stakes. The pre-show tag match with the opportunity to earn an opportunity to get a bye in a tournament has already been thoroughly dunked on by everyone, but also why did the 4-way match lead to the winner getting a match with random undercard guy Kip Sabian (especially when the winner of the 4-way match is one of the No. 1 Contenders for the AEW Title?). Why is there a Young Bucks vs. Rhodes Brothers match coming up on Fight for the Fallen when the former team appears to still be in the middle of a feud with the Lucha Bros while one member of the other team is just starting to feud with Shawn Spears? It just seems like a lot of matches are happening where it doesn't really matter who wins or loses because it likely isn't leading to anything. Granted, this issue may be smoothed out once the promotion is running weekly TV, but at the moment it seems like a lot of the matches are just exhibitions.

I think that's why I couldn't fully get into the Moxley/Janela main event. Both guys know their way around a plunder brawl and are willing to take a lot of stupidly entertaining risks with their bodies, but the match never made me feel like these two hate each other. It was kind of a dream match I guess, but it didn't feel heated enough to really get invested in. The tone felt like “look at all the crazy stuff these guys are willing to do” and I want this kind of match to feel like “these guys are really trying to kill each other.”

My favorite match of the night was surprisingly the women's three way. I didn't have high expectations for that one, since I generally don't like triple threat matches and Nyla Rose did nothing to stand out at Double or Nothing. But Rose really looked like a monster here, and I think the fact that she had so many opportunities to simultaneously throw around both of her opponents really helped her presentation. Riho and Yuka Sakazaki looked really great too, and the moments where they did make comebacks felt convincing but were also timed in such a way to not undercut Rose's aura. My only complaint is that I feel like Rose should have won here (and at Double or Nothing as well) to really establish her as a dominant force in the women's division. As it is it doesn't feel like there's much structure to that division yet, so hopefully the hierarchy will be clearer soon.

Anyway, my other complaint about AEW so far is that the commentary is kind of a clusterfuck. I was too relieved at JR not being completely awful at Double or Nothing to complain much about the commentary on that show, but after this show I can understand Lanza's criticisms of the commentary from the flagship. You've got three guys talking over each other and none of them have defined roles. Also JR slipped back into his bad habits a lot more on this show than he did at Double or Nothing.

SuperplexlariatBW

Post by SuperplexlariatBW » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:21 am

His work hasn't been bad or anything, but I'm really not getting all this talk about Moxley and this big reinvention of him. I think in terms of look, persona and character he's more Dean Ambrose with a few tweaks than he is the Jon Moxley from CZW and DGUSA. The promo at the end of the pre-show and one of his New Japan youtube clips felt more like Ambrose promos to me.

Overall, i felt he came off like more of a star in his New Japan debut match than with AEW.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:04 pm

Frank - I agree about to commentary. A lotta people on Twitter and Reddit praised Goldenboy and fair play, for a total newbie (he's an e-sports commentator I think?) he was decent but he had this tendency to say something that Excalibur or JR said, only in different words. Excalibur would say something like, "pushed her off like a soft toy off a bed" and Goldenboy would chime in, "yeah, like a pillow off a bed". Like it's not the worst, but it's not exactly contributing anything special. Why not just have a team of two? Excalibur would have no issue giving JR enough rope not to hang himself, and they seem to play off each other nicely. A third guy seems so superfluous.

I also think that Mox vs Janela really needed to be a 15 min "teaser trailer" of all these guys are capable of, and then a bombastic main event if what you do once you've actually given them a feud with some actual stakes. I don't know what that feud would look like, but this "mini beef" of the post-DoN promo and the great promos they filmed after that (I really liked Janela's Road to Fyter Fest promo) just needed to have a different kind of match at the end of it. The big match feel didn't suit the feud.

I do however appreciate that I think almost everything, no matter how silly or inconsequential, is going to have an outcome in this promotion (at least so far, and we know it's a clear objective for them). Cody calling Shawn Spears a good hand lead to Spears' heel turn.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:12 pm

SuperplexlariatBW wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:21 am
His work hasn't been bad or anything, but I'm really not getting all this talk about Moxley and this big reinvention of him. I think in terms of look, persona and character he's more Dean Ambrose with a few tweaks than he is the Jon Moxley from CZW and DGUSA. The promo at the end of the pre-show and one of his New Japan youtube clips felt more like Ambrose promos to me.

Overall, i felt he came off like more of a star in his New Japan debut match than with AEW.
I have a suspicion that the G1 may expose and deflate Moxley amongst fandom and his match with Omega has a lot of potential red flags given their respective styles. This is not to say that he might also come out of those things as strong or stronger, but I do see a scenario where his G1 disappoints and/or his match with Omega is a mess. Moxley's best skills are on the mic and they will generally be minimal in these two upcoming events.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:46 am

Joe made a good point on the latest Pod behind the paywall. AEW needed to run with this rather than run away from it and come out and tell everyone it was a gimmiked chair. How is Spears going to get over cutting his next promo now when we they've come out and told us Cody is fine and it was all a bad accident

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:51 pm

I don't get all the hate the pre-show is getting. I enjoyed it a lot.