All Elite Wrestling (Discussion)

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Re: Official All Elite Wrestling (AEW) Thread

Post by BoxingRobes » Sun May 26, 2019 12:22 pm

From a limited sample size of my very casual buddies...they loved the show.

Favorite match was Cody v. Dustin from the casuals I know.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sun May 26, 2019 5:51 pm

Just a take...Cody has become a really good worker.

Not an Indie style worker...not a strong style worker...nothing that necessarily pops the typical Indie crowd, but on a show like All-In or Double or Nothing or some of the work he had in ROH or other random Indies, its stuff that separates itself from the pack...he's become a very good WWE main event / NWA main event style wrestler. He stays in his wheelhouse. Longer form storiez matches that are just well worked. He's not out here trying to hit Code Reds or an off the top Spanish Fly or do topes with a super double helix...but he's really come along as an old school worker at a level that doesn't have many of those on a card.

Cody's story is so fun, too. Betting on yourself and succeeding is always a great story.

cbacon87

Post by cbacon87 » Sun May 26, 2019 6:42 pm

I think Cody's always been a good worker, it's just what people do and don't look for I suppose. The star rating thing was always a bit of a red herring to me. He was working to a different audience, but he was always adept at what he was actually doing- it's just that that wasn't 'the star rating' thing.

Looking at it with the benefit of some hindsight, all of his best stuff has come through feeding off of emotion as much as anything, including that one Raw match with Orton and a lot of the tag stuff with Goldust. It's probably understandable that he couldn't produce that on a regular basis, in the role he had. The idea that he was somehow lacking as a worker was a little misguided, I think. I love the fact that now, he's managing to steal the show on what have been essentially indy super shows, wrestling his style. I get that for some people the Chinese acrobat direction might be more their thing and they still don't want what Cody offers and that's fine, but it sounds like we're reaching the point where it's hard to doubt him anymore in a big spot (and now he's got his own company and thus full creative freedom).

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Sun May 26, 2019 7:12 pm

Show of the year for me. Incredible show

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Sun May 26, 2019 10:10 pm

I think Cody's a good worker. But at the same time, I'd caution giving him too much credit on the back of what was basically the optimal match for him to have, with the blood, the family drama and emotions and the perfect captive audience. Dustin Rhodes might well be his best opponent and best tag partner, and I think it would benefit AEW massively to keep both of them in the tag team picture for the near future.

MarsDude

Post by MarsDude » Mon May 27, 2019 4:00 am

I am able to understand PAC's gripe with the creative direction a little better now that the show has happened. See at first I thought he had a problem losing to Omega because he was the Open the Dream Gate champion and didn't want to lose. I also thought this was a little silly because I thought Omega would beat Jericho and he and PAC would be fighting for the AEW title. I thought that PAC losing to Omega for the title was not that bad and wouldn't hurt him or the Dream Gate title that much. But since Omega lost, I'm beginning to think that PAC was just a guy for Omega to beat to help him gain momentum for later on challenging for the AEW title. That is worse than losing a competitive championship match.

cbacon87

Post by cbacon87 » Mon May 27, 2019 7:32 am

Danwaka wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 10:10 pm
I think Cody's a good worker. But at the same time, I'd caution giving him too much credit on the back of what was basically the optimal match for him to have, with the blood, the family drama and emotions and the perfect captive audience. Dustin Rhodes might well be his best opponent and best tag partner, and I think it would benefit AEW massively to keep both of them in the tag team picture for the near future.
True and I don't think Cody can have the Dustin/Aldis kind of match every time out either. But, he's at least in a position where, in the future, he can build and lay out these big singles matches to be as optimal for him as they can.
MarsDude wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 4:00 am
I am able to understand PAC's gripe with the creative direction a little better now that the show has happened. See at first I thought he had a problem losing to Omega because he was the Open the Dream Gate champion and didn't want to lose. I also thought this was a little silly because I thought Omega would beat Jericho and he and PAC would be fighting for the AEW title. I thought that PAC losing to Omega for the title was not that bad and wouldn't hurt him or the Dream Gate title that much. But since Omega lost, I'm beginning to think that PAC was just a guy for Omega to beat to help him gain momentum for later on challenging for the AEW title. That is worse than losing a competitive championship match.
I still wonder if PAC/Omega was the plan. Having one of the spots open in a wacky battle royal seems odd, if you're doing 'real sports metrics' (plus, you had two people threaten the owners to get out of being in the battle royal, before adding the stip). Having Hangman Page win the battle royal when he wasn't supposed to be in it in the first place suggests the battle royal wasn't the original plan for the other spot. And we know (?) that PAC was supposed to beat Page. But then, that means they changed their mind on the Omega/Jericho result, which also seems odd.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Mon May 27, 2019 10:15 am

I'm still pumped from this show. This is the start of something special

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Mon May 27, 2019 6:13 pm

Contacting the Sears Centre tomorrow to inquire about All Out group tickets, including suite options.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Mon May 27, 2019 7:38 pm

Ice cold Double or Nothing takes from a guy who just finally watched the show this morning (and who probably would have streamed it live and legally if the pricing had been reasonable)...

Overall I thought the show was a home run. For the most part it looked big league and professional, with good production values and everyone working their ass off. There was only one match on the main show that didn't do much for me (the 4-way) and even that was basically fine.

The commentary was surprisingly solid for the most part. JR is the opposite of a draw for me these days, but the only time where he seemed out of touch on this show was when he kept ascribing the wrong nationality to the Stronghearts. I thought that he and Excalibur worked together surprisingly well, and JR seemed more engaged than I expected him to. Marvez seemed superfluous and was lacking in energy but I don't think he actively dragged the show down or anything.

My one complaint in terms of aesthetics is that I thought that most of the theme music was pretty bland. I am glad that Page got to keep his cool spaghetti western theme but sad that Cody is still using his terrible music from his indie/ROH/New Japan run. Omega's theme was not memorable at all and is definitely a step down from the one he had in New Japan.

For me the match of the night was definitely Young Bucks vs. Lucha Bros. It had been a while since the Bucks had really had a big match (I know that technically they were in the main event of Rey de Reyes, but that was more of an angle than a full blown match) so all of their spots felt fresh. Fenix doesn't seem to ever get brought up in best in the world discussions, but I don't know that I'd put anybody except maybe Will Ospreay ahead of him as a high flyer. I can't believe that match went 25 minutes, because it didn't seem nearly that long while I was watching it.

The other main events really delivered as well. I don't really care about the Rhodes family (I'm not even that big a fan of Dusty's classic stuff aside from his promos to be honest) and I generally don't like Cody at all, so I was surprised by how invested I got in the Cody/Dustin match. The extremely hot crowd and the intense blade job definitely helped, but I also thought it was a very well paced match where both competitors rang the maximum amount of drama from each spot.

I guess I liked Omega/Jericho better than most people, although maybe that has to do with lowered expectations since I saw the match after seeing some lukewarm reviews for it. I thought the pre-match video was really well done (that shot of Omega carrying a giant tree branch on his shoulder was cool) and Jericho's big entrance was cheesy but in a good way. The match was more intense than I expected, probably helped by the accidental blood. It obviously lacked the novelty of their first-time meeting from Wrestle Kingdom 2017, but from a pure bell-to-bell perspective I thought it was an equally good match. The only part I took issue with was them repeating the DDT counter out of the One Winged Angel after they initially botched it, which was a little silly.

As for the undercard stuff I really liked the Joshi match. There's been a lot of talk that either that style of wrestling or the OWE wrestlers could really set AEW apart from the competition, and from what we saw on this show I would say that the Joshi style stands out more. The Stronghearts/SCU match was really good too, but stylistically what CIMA, T-Hawk and Lindaman did didn't seem all that different from most of the other wrestling on the show. (Although I say that with the caveat that CIMA probably deserves a lot of credit for influencing the currently popular style, and that I haven't seen any of the stuff from OWE's Chinese contingent, which I know has a reputation for being pretty wild).

There were only a few things on the show (or pre-show) that made me cringe. One was JR referring to Japanese people as Chinese. Another was the Librarian skit on the preshow (it's not even that I think the librarian joke is lame so much as it is that I literally don't even get what the joke is supposed to be or how the character will actually work in a wrestling match context). Another was the high amount of shindie guys in the pre-show battle royal. In fairness I don't keep up much with the American indie scene, but judging by their appearances in this match I would say that it's a mistake to put guys like Sunny Daze, Marko Stunt, Brian Pillman Jr and Ace Romero on a nationally televised product. That battle royal was the only match on the show where AEW came off as low rent as ROH and Impact sometimes do. Also I really wish they had not done the thing with Cody smashing the Triple H chair before his match. That came off as so corny and as exactly the type of outdated Monday Night Wars era thing that they should be avoiding.

Still, those things I have complaints about were all pretty minor elements of the show and overall I really thought it was a success.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue May 28, 2019 5:13 pm

Busy weekend and haven't had a chance to watch it. Not sure when/if I will, but I did want to say from a non-viewer and someone just following from the outside, the Moxley debut seemed like the most important thing coming out of it. It really feels like a big jump away from WWE in a way that nothing has felt probably since Angle went to TNA (and that was under less ideal circumstances). It really makes the treatment of him the last few weeks of his WWE tenure all the more perplexing absent their concern that he may convince his wife to leave as well. Not sure if he is truly a difference maker, but it definitely feels like a bigger deal than anything in a very long time.

TGD287

Post by TGD287 » Tue May 28, 2019 5:30 pm

supersonic wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 6:13 pm
Contacting the Sears Centre tomorrow to inquire about All Out group tickets, including suite options.
Count me in as interested if this is doable. Edit: Also got a non fan interested too (not that you'd have trouble filling the suite out).

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Wed May 29, 2019 4:14 pm

Spoke with the Sears Centre Arena and was told to monitor for more All Out ticket info to become available.

Regular groups seats are highly unlikely, so it's looking like it'll be a suite option. IIRC a suite ticket was $90 last year.

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Thu May 30, 2019 4:07 pm

DON has me back from the wrestling dead a little bit.

In speculating about who may make the jump to AEW, is there anywhere a list of contract statuses that we have info on? Even just a list of people who recently inked a multi-year as I understand Owens and Styles have.

Some are obvious, some are less, but it all depends on who can actually leave soon. With Dean Ambrose blazing the trail it must light a real fire under talent who want to bandwagon onto it before they run out of roster slots.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Fri May 31, 2019 4:13 pm

Just shy of 100k buys for Double or Nothing it sounds like