The MLW Thread

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
rovert

Re: The MLW Thread

Post by rovert » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:55 am

monster mafia wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:46 pm
they decide to go live vs final battle...oh well...
Please write an actual sentence.

P.S. Strap my boy Kotto Brazil.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:12 pm

Pentagon v Teddy Hart this week was a lot of fun

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:27 pm

Thought Penta vs Teddy was way more entertaining than Park vs Loco, which felt endless and had a stupid finish

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:03 pm

What do ya'll think of Salina de la Renta? She seems to be improving each month in her roll. One of my fav non-wrestler characters rn.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:07 am

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:32 pm

I've been parachuting in and out of watching MLW and decided to check out the Battle Riot show. I did enjoy the actual match but can't really say the product as a whole does it for me. It seems pretty all over the place with what it wants to be (and I think that's intentional) which makes it harder to feel committed to it on a regular basis.

It seems odd having Cornette calling these styles also although he's done as good of a job as you can imagine in trying to get everything over. Overall, I'm glad some of the lesser known guys are getting a national spotlight, but it doesn't seem to be a product meant for me.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:13 pm

mlev76 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:32 pm
I've been parachuting in and out of watching MLW and decided to check out the Battle Riot show. I did enjoy the actual match but can't really say the product as a whole does it for me. It seems pretty all over the place with what it wants to be (and I think that's intentional) which makes it harder to feel committed to it on a regular basis.

It seems odd having Cornette calling these styles also although he's done as good of a job as you can imagine in trying to get everything over. Overall, I'm glad some of the lesser known guys are getting a national spotlight, but it doesn't seem to be a product meant for me.
Its low stakes wrestling. Good background fodder most of the time. Tight storytelling. Characters playing their role and staying in their lane. I love Filthy Tom as the champ. Upper part of the card is solid, if unspectacular.

But the matches aren't often good and they use a lot of low end Indie talent to fill out undercards.

I like to slot MLW in when I'm watching NXT, NXT UK, and 205 Live. It fits in there.

Cornette has been fantastic for the most part, IMO. Adds depth to the shows by his commentary.

cbacon87

Post by cbacon87 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:08 am

I also watched the Battle Riot show and the thing with Cornette is, while he's clearly not bad and he's being a pro (mostly), I can't shake the fact that it's Jim Cornette and he clearly hates some of what he's calling. He wasn't exactly shy about it in the Jimmy Havoc match, which is fine, but it is distracting, like you're spending the whole match half expecting him to just flip and go on a massive rant.