The MLW Thread

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

The MLW Thread

Post by BoxingRobes » Sun May 13, 2018 12:27 am

BeIn Sports Network.

I know LANZA and I are #ALLIN right now. Are you?

They are four episodes into the new run. Digging it as low effort viewing of a solid studio wrestling.

Danwaka

Re: The MLW Thread

Post by Danwaka » Sun May 13, 2018 9:25 am

As an Arab I'm amused at MLW on BEIN and WWE with Saudi Arabia. It's like a weird turf infringement that I can't describe properly. Surprised BEIN didn't sign Qatari Pro Wrestling or something.

rovert

Post by rovert » Mon May 14, 2018 2:45 pm

MLW TV is on Youtube now - with healthy geoblocking:

https://www.youtube.com/user/majorleaguewrestling

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed May 16, 2018 10:54 pm

I talk about it every week on the subscriber side, but this is a solid hour of episodic studio wrestling.

-Feuds have definitive winners and losers, and then move on to something else! Imagine that!

-They always do a great job setting up the main events for the following week. None of this tired formula where the main event in set up minutes earlier with an angle or authority figure

-Speaking of, no authority figure. Refreshing.

-Commentary is basic, professional, and perfectly average

-Great video/promo packages

-They have a tremendous advantage in that they can (and do) use just about every worthwhile freelancer. And because they aren't a contract promotion, they aren't forced to push guys they have under deals. It's all handshakes right now, but eventually that may have to change.

-I'm not in love with Shane Strickland as the babyface world champ, but I'll admit he's better in the role than I thought he'd be.

-They also aren't trying to do too much yet...no tag titles, no secondary title, no women's division. These are good things for this stage of the game. Walk before you can run, you don't have to do things "just because".

I've enjoyed every episode so far. Jimmy Havoc continues to prove me wrong as a delightfully insane babyface. Lawlor is pretty great. ACH has been a fun mid card face putting over heels. Not a big fan of the in house talent, very shindie in some cases, but they need to establish non super indie guys so I can't bash them too hard for trying. Production has been excellent.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Wed May 16, 2018 11:16 pm

btw - Lanza...this week was not joined in progress after the Tennis match for me. I watched on demand on SLING TV...got the backend of the tennis match and then just the full MLW Fusion show. Think they just cut a few commercials on my on demand stream.

As for this weeks show...I did not enjoy Janela v. Havoc. The week before, Havoc promised me there will be blood before giving his face lingus and then there was no blood in the match.

By the way...Tony Schiavone has been pretty decent and is growing into the role. How TNA never picked him up to do commentary over the past 15 years or whatever blows my mind.

If you don't watch Brockmire, Lanza...this is what I imagine Schiavone is like in real life, as a PBP guy for random minor league Braves games.

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Thu May 17, 2018 10:08 am

I haven't seen a full episode, but I really loved the Riddle/Strickland title match that was available for free on YouTube.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Fri May 18, 2018 9:02 pm

I agree Schivone is getting better. Look, he likely knew none of the talent. He needed some time to get acclimated.

I reached out to the office regarding the contracts. I'll have an update on the next review show on the subscriber side.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Mon May 21, 2018 10:22 pm

They gave the DIRTY BLONDES and KOKO Brazil v TREY MIGUEL a good 35 minutes of TV time this week.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sat May 26, 2018 3:43 pm

Negative SEVEN stars for Swerve v. Pentagon for Selina de la Renta not selling the RED MIST. How do you not sell the mist?

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:52 pm

Jake Hager v. Jeff Cobb was so sloppy bad. Hager himself...I am not sure why he's even wrestling. He looks like he would rather be anywhere else but the wrestling ring.

on the flipside...I really enjoyed Rich Swann v. Kotto Brazil. Nobody loses in a good match and this Brazil guy, in a few weeks has done a really good job at establishing himself as a quality little jobber. Rich Swann has been the most over wrestler in MLW with that huge entrance.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:44 pm

BoxingRobes wrote:Jake Hager v. Jeff Cobb was so sloppy bad. Hager himself...I am not sure why he's even wrestling. He looks like he would rather be anywhere else but the wrestling ring.

on the flipside...I really enjoyed Rich Swann v. Kotto Brazil. Nobody loses in a good match and this Brazil guy, in a few weeks has done a really good job at establishing himself as a quality little jobber. Rich Swann has been the most over wrestler in MLW with that huge entrance.
Agree with all of this.

Hager stinks and he took 80% of the match (but that's by design as i'll explain on the pay show on Monday). He's a net negative, but he's supposedly in on a 5-match deal so hopefully this is a quick build for a job to put someone else over.

They have something with Brazil as he continues to get over as the house jobber. If they can time his win properly, he can be a nice little mid card guy.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:40 am

-I really liked Tom Lawlor v. Fred Yehi. Yehi can be a really good enhancement talent in this environment.

-MJF had me rolling...WHAT WAS YOUR THOUGHT PROCESS WITH SHOVING ALL OF THAT BOTOX IN YOUR FACE. So good.
GET THE GINGER TRASH OUT OF HERE...THIS ISNT AN EPISODE OF TEEN MOM. /dead

I understand the comparison to Selena de la Renta and Zelina Vega...but MLW is starting to do more with her and differentiating her...she's not just a complimentary piece to a wrestler to help get them over, she's becoming their little Heenan type stable manager where its Swerve versus Selena and the baddie of the week she puts in front of him, which is pretty fun for the time being. With that said, this is like what would happen if they hit you over the head with the Zelina subtlety hammer...but its oddly working right now. She's getting better, too. Just won't forgive no selling the red mist.

ACH v. Fenix also a v solid TV match.

Good episode this week.

rovert

Post by rovert » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:27 pm

avengers23

Post by avengers23 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:25 pm

I'm assuming that they're going to cut up War Games for Fusion.

Rottenrocker

Post by Rottenrocker » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:29 pm

Since it's a TV taping that would be correct. I have to admit MLW has grown on me, that tag title match between ACH/Swann and the Lucha Bros was great stuff.