Moronic Fans Who Spend Hundreds of Dollars To Act Like Assholes (Or Why I don't Care if you don't like Roman Reigns)

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
mlev76

Moronic Fans Who Spend Hundreds of Dollars To Act Like Assholes (Or Why I don't Care if you don't like Roman Reigns)

Post by mlev76 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:52 am

I don't think I've ever been angrier about a crowd than I currently am about how the crowd acting during the main event tonight. I generally agree that you pay your money, you get to basically say and do what you want in the confines of acceptable behavior. But, tonight was different.

Instead of 1) giving the match a chance or 2) walking out and showing a true sense of protest, fans crapped all over the match from the moment the bell rang. It wasn't that they were objecting to the work or picking a side and booing against it. No, these were people, many of whom who no doubt spent hundred if not thousands of dollars to attend the show and act with the same maturity and intelligence as my four year old mid temper tantrum. It was a pathetic display and I think all those involved should really reconsider attending live wrestling. What I saw was disrespectful to other fans, the wrestlers and those watching at home.

And, before you say "well, Roman gets shoved down our throat" or any other means of saying the same thing, kindly spare me. People who do this are not "voicing opposition to booking." They are being assholes. If you don't like the booking, you have many options: go to a non-WWE show instead, leave before the offending match or maybe just stay home and keep your juvenile behavior to the confines of your dwelling.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Re: Moronic Fans Who Spend Hundreds of Dollars To Act Like Assholes (Or Why I don't Care if you don't like Roman Reigns)

Post by BoxingRobes » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:50 pm

Think you're overreacting, brother mlev.

Maybe they should have booked a different match or put one of the other...idk...5 things they already did on the show with a better reaction to go on last. *shrugs*

At this point, if it has turned to disrespect with Reigns, I'm not even upset. The fans, who paid for a ticket, have time and time again told the company he isn't who they want to see pushed. What do you want at this point? This is the only company in the world that could actually get away with what they are doing without seeing any sort of negative consequence...so if this is the worst they have to deal with...eh. Much ado about nothing.

armsofsleep

Re: Moronic Fans Who Spend Hundreds of Dollars To Act Like Assholes (Or Why I don't Care if you don't like Roman Reigns)

Post by armsofsleep » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:09 pm

Personally, I always will watch and enjoy a match, and won't ever really cheer something blatantly disrespectful to performers, but that's because I like wrestling and I like watching it. The worst you can get from me is silence or a nonreaction (or me turning off the screen/leaving my seat).

But I can't really blame the crowd. They paid a bunch of money to make the show about themselves or air out their weird grudges. Who cares. That's why WWE events can be shit to go to. If you don't like it, don't go. The recent rash of beach balls/costumed fans has made it really hard to recommend attending big WWE events.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:15 pm

The constant main event pushes everyone sees coming aren't wanted or needed by the fans...its why you get what you got versus Lesnar (which was a very polarizing match)...but that doesn't mean Roman can't be salvaged, etc. They need to give it a rest for a long while though.

Give Reigns a mid-card belt and have him go out there have four-star matches every week on RAW and slowly, he'll get the fans behind him naturally. Fans, regardless of who it is, respect and like guys who go out there and put on legitimately good matches for them. Reigns has had a lot of good matches, but its ALWAYS in the middle of a main event push that no one wants. Keep him in the mid card and you might find that the crowd starts coming around on him as long as he's putting in good work.

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:40 pm

BoxingRobes wrote:The constant main event pushes everyone sees coming aren't wanted or needed by the fans...its why you get what you got versus Lesnar (which was a very polarizing match)...but that doesn't mean Roman can't be salvaged, etc. They need to give it a rest for a long while though.

Give Reigns a mid-card belt and have him go out there have four-star matches every week on RAW and slowly, he'll get the fans behind him naturally. Fans, regardless of who it is, respect and like guys who go out there and put on legitimately good matches for them. Reigns has had a lot of good matches, but its ALWAYS in the middle of a main event push that no one wants. Keep him in the mid card and you might find that the crowd starts coming around on him as long as he's putting in good work.
If you want Reigns being out of the main event scene and putting on **** matches on TV every week, may I present to you the last six months of 2016, or 80% of 2017. The crowd doesn't seem to care either way. I think at this point they are more obsessed with booing the idea of Roman than booing Roman himself.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:55 pm

armsofsleep wrote:
BoxingRobes wrote:The constant main event pushes everyone sees coming aren't wanted or needed by the fans...its why you get what you got versus Lesnar (which was a very polarizing match)...but that doesn't mean Roman can't be salvaged, etc. They need to give it a rest for a long while though.

If you want Reigns being out of the main event scene and putting on **** matches on TV every week, may I present to you the last six months of 2016, or 80% of 2017. The crowd doesn't seem to care either way. I think at this point they are more obsessed with booing the idea of Roman than booing Roman himself.
I think this is demonstrably true on both accounts. Reigns' 2016 title run was actually quite good and he messed it up by getting popped on a wellness violation. Also, I don't see where the idea that the build to this match would cause such a reaction. It was well built from week to week.

I'll disagree with the idea that when you pay your money you get an unfettered right to act out. This is why I don't get bothered by chants or silliness overall so long as it doesn't pose a detriment to the show or your other fans. To me, last night it did pose a detriment and was pretty obnoxious. Sometimes you can blame WWE or the wrestlers, but here, I blame the fans for being more into lashing out and being dicks than being fans. I can't imagine any other fan based sport or art form where such garbage would not only be tolerated but seemingly accepted.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:17 pm

I don't feel as though they did anything incredibly offensive, so I guess our standards are off. I mean, you just sat there for 6 hours and the final two matches are NICHOLAS and whatever the main event was...I'd be a bit grouchy, too.

As for Reigns...previously, all Reigns runs...regardless of where he was on the card, it was implied that he's getting pushed to Mania. So, any note on that account should come with an asterisks.

I am talking about a legitimate de-push into the mid-card. Feature him on TV to a point, but no leaks of him facing somebody at Mania...no leaks of any plans for him...just stick him in the mid-card and let him work. He needs a dramatic change of scenery. I'd even suggest a move to Smackdown, but with that would come with a re-push back to the top.

In the old days, Reigns would be perfect fodder to just go away for a while and get hot in another territory.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:38 pm

In the ultimate bit of irony, the anti-Roman fans shit on a match that ended up being exactly what they wanted it to be.

They outsmarted themselves and ruined their fantasy moment.

cbacon87

Post by cbacon87 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:19 pm

I've been there with wrestling crowds since the Batista Rumble and by this point I'm a bit more over it.

With the Batista thing, at least in hindsight I can say it was a passionate response and spur of the moment (even if it turned out Batista was actually a really nice guy and by the time people realised, he was Tyler Bate waving wrestling goodbye). Now, it's like everything else. "This is awesome" chants don't mean as much, because too many people do it because 'that's what you do'. "CM Punk" chants don't mean what they used to, too many people do it because 'that's what you do'. "You deserve it" chants are to the point where they're being used playfully when heels get powerbombed on concrete, so maybe they're not even 'what you do' anymore, but they used to be. It doesn't even feel like the people who are mad are necessarily that mad anymore. Maybe they are, but the way they go about it feels a bit hollow.

At that point, it just becomes a bit tiresome more than anything. If you buy a beachball and take it to a wrestling show, you're either intending ahead of time to not enjoy something on a show or you're begging for attention and sadly, that's something some wrestling fans do. And either way, I don't get it. But, at this point, it's like whatever.

That said, to me, I feel like there's a basic line that differentiates a 'good' crowd and a 'bad' crowd. The line is usually, if somebody, anybody hits a dive, even if you've never seen them before in your life and you don't so much as courtesy pop, that's on the crowd. I get that people have their issues with Reigns and want to make that known, fine, and that makes this a different situation. But the rough F5 through the table to a defiant no reaction was probably the point in the match I'd say "okay, what are we doing here guys?" At that point, if you're Lesnar or Reigns and you just decide "screw this let's go home" and dog the last few minutes, I'd have no qualms. Nothing you do at that point is going to work. Why risk hurting yourself for that? That part does bug me, seeing guys try hard and get nothing and know that they will continue to get nothing.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:49 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:In the ultimate bit of irony, the anti-Roman fans shit on a match that ended up being exactly what they wanted it to be.

They outsmarted themselves and ruined their fantasy moment.
What you're saying is...they worked themselves into a shoot?

btw - it needs to be stated publicly, Good Brother Lanza, because we care about you...but you had an all-time horrendous weekend of tweeting. You hit the point of no return on Friday and it got worse from there. Take a few days to regroup and get back after it then.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:41 am

Imagine blaming anyone but the supposed master puppeteers for not succeeding at pulling the strings of the consumer base. Those people paid highly both in time and money to be present and as long as behaving in ways that are nonviolent, have zero obligation to accommodate other parts of the audience that wrongfully think otherwise.

VonLInus

Post by VonLInus » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:04 am

cbacon87 wrote: That said, to me, I feel like there's a basic line that differentiates a 'good' crowd and a 'bad' crowd. The line is usually, if somebody, anybody hits a dive, even if you've never seen them before in your life and you don't so much as courtesy pop, that's on the crowd. I get that people have their issues with Reigns and want to make that known, fine, and that makes this a different situation. But the rough F5 through the table to a defiant no reaction was probably the point in the match I'd say "okay, what are we doing here guys?" At that point, if you're Lesnar or Reigns and you just decide "screw this let's go home" and dog the last few minutes, I'd have no qualms. Nothing you do at that point is going to work. Why risk hurting yourself for that? That part does bug me, seeing guys try hard and get nothing and know that they will continue to get nothing.

The crowd reaction is almost entirely on the management though. People don't see the wrestler, and they don't see the wrestling, they see the main event of WM that they've paid an enormous amount of money to get to in many cases, and they go 'I didn't want this, and people at live events didn't want this for months, it's clear that this match was not done for me, or fans like me who pay to see the show every week, and drown Roman in boos, so I feel like I'm being shit on, so I'm going to shit on it'. Someone who went to WM knowing that that was the main event was probably not going to feel able to leave.

They're addicts. They're getting bad drugs and they're complaining to the dealer about how shitty the quality is. They still need the drugs though.

I like Roman well enough but until they drop him down they're never going to get any kind of reaction they want with him. Everyone can see his plot armour, and him complaining about Brock being Vince's boy, I've never heard a more tone deaf comment.

I wouldn't boo Roman personally btw, but I understand people feeling frustrated with the situation. What else are they going to do, cheer? and then it looks essentially like Vince one. Leave the arena? they paid in and they're allowed express themselves.

If WWE don't like the reactions they're getting, they should look into empty arena matches.

cbacon87

Post by cbacon87 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:14 am

VonLInus wrote:Someone who went to WM knowing that that was the main event was probably not going to feel able to leave.
See, I really don't see why not. If the whole point of this really is that people wanted to show management they didn't want this as the main event, what better way to show it? At this point we've been doing this song and dance for years, WWE have leaned into it for years and clearly chanting stuff at matches doesn't work because it hasn't worked. Maybe a few thousand(?) empty seats would send a better message anyway? The alternative is you stay and willingly spend 30 minutes not enjoying yourself, I don't see the obligation in that.
VonLInus wrote:I wouldn't boo Roman personally btw, but I understand people feeling frustrated with the situation. What else are they going to do, cheer? and then it looks essentially like Vince one. Leave the arena? they paid in and they're allowed express themselves.
People are absolutely allowed to express themselves and I understand people feeling frustrated too. But I don't like this idea that they then can't be questioned. People have the right to not enjoy themselves at a wrestling show. People have the right to ruin matches for everyone else because they don't like the booking too. I think it's fair to question why you'd do that at this point. And I think it's fair to just not like that people do it if you want to enjoy the show yourself.

VonLInus

Post by VonLInus » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:53 am

cbacon87 wrote:
See, I really don't see why not. If the whole point of this really is that people wanted to show management they didn't want this as the main event, what better way to show it? At this point we've been doing this song and dance for years, WWE have leaned into it for years and clearly chanting stuff at matches doesn't work because it hasn't worked. Maybe a few thousand(?) empty seats would send a better message anyway? The alternative is you stay and willingly spend 30 minutes not enjoying yourself, I don't see the obligation in that.
Well as I say, addicts. People go to WWE. They like the matches. Maybe they don't like the main event but there's something on the card for them.

I don't think anyone was claiming people weren't enjoying booing Roman. Seeing how far and how long you can boo something is interesting in and of itself, and cathartic. Like booing a player who has left your club to join another at football. Fuck Alexis Sanchez.
cbacon87 wrote: People are absolutely allowed to express themselves and I understand people feeling frustrated too. But I don't like this idea that they then can't be questioned. People have the right to not enjoy themselves at a wrestling show. People have the right to ruin matches for everyone else because they don't like the booking too. I think it's fair to question why you'd do that at this point. And I think it's fair to just not like that people do it if you want to enjoy the show yourself.
I don't think leading a thread by saying 'Moronic Fans acting like assholes' is a polite questioning of motive. Maybe that's just me. And I think people are talking about it quite politely further down the thread. I know I am.

LIke you can question something but if someone answers 'We have a perfect right to boo what we like', then really, what else is there to say? You disagree. I'm not sure questioning further is going to get further.